Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2011/2012 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2011/2012 Offseason Thread

    Simply put this shouldn't be up right now but I post it out of the anger I feel towards a certain manager.

    Frank Wren should do something this offseason that he won't and every fan will have serious questions going forward about any potential success without it.
    Extend Prado!!!

  • #2
    He's not only an imbecile but a buck passer as well. Almost all of his post game press conferences amount to "Hey, don't look at me!"
    3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

    "All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

    Comment


    • #3
      If you're curious, Fredi Gonzalez has a 3 year contract (2011-13), plus a 2014 club option.
      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
        If you're curious, Fredi Gonzalez has a 3 year contract (2011-13), plus a 2014 club option.
        Dones't mean he can't be fired and kicked to the curb.
        Extend Prado!!!

        Comment


        • #5
          I could write another 1000 posts about Fredi (though most would devolve into long rants that amount to me calling him an idiot) but have decided to try and move on.

          Braves Free Agents/Options

          Eric Hinske - $1.5 Million Club Option $100k buyout

          Alex Gonzalez

          Jack Wilson

          Nate McLouth - $10.65 Million Club Option $1.25 Million buyout

          Kenshin Kawakami

          Scott Linebrink

          George Sherrill

          Arbitration Eligible

          2nd Year

          Jair Jurrjens

          Martin Prado

          Eric O'Flaherty

          3rd Year

          Michael Bourn

          Peter Moylan

          5 Questions for the Offseason

          Who will play SS? :: Some have talked of bringing back Alex Gonzalez for his great defense but is it worth it? Do the Braves trust Pastornicky to takeover full time or perhaps bring back someone like Wilson to be the backup plan?

          Should they look to improve LF? :: Martin had a down year and some believe he has be overexposed. There are also some OFers that might be had for affordable prices like Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, or Michael Cuddyer. So should the Braves go back to Martin as a super sub and get a LFer or should they stick with Prado?

          What do you do with the rotation? :: If everyone is healthy (which is a big question by itself) should the Braves trade one of their starting pitchers? The Braves are stuck with Lowe but the potential market for Hanson or Jair would likely be large even with questions about their health but would it be worth it?

          Do you extend Michael Bourn? :: Bourn will be 29 in December and be entering his final year of arbitration. While the Braves could find a CFer in the minors during the next year it seems unlikely so keeping him past 2012 could be the best case scenario.

          Do you add free agents to the bullpen or add internally? :: The Braves could go with almost a completely youthful bullpen with Medlen coming back and guys like J.J. Hoover potentially taking a spot but the Braves almost always seem a like a little veteran leadership in the bullpen so will they spend money on a veteran in the pen?
          Extend Prado!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Thread is stickied.

            Larry Parrish is gone.
            2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
              Thread is stickied.

              Larry Parrish is gone.
              Thank God. For those that wonder why people don't like Fredi Gonzalez here is his answer to why he pitched to Hunter Pence with Martinez (who was hitting a whopping .198) on deck.

              “I thought about not doing it,” Gonzalez said. “But all of a sudden you’ve got the 1-2 or 2-2 count, whatever it was. And Scotty made a great pitch. ... Can you guarantee me Martinez wasn’t going to get a hit, or draw a base on balls?”
              I think someone should tell Fredi normally you don't make the choice to walk someone in the middle of an AB if the choice is clear.

              There is also a rumor that some in the front office want to trade Heyward, if Wren finds anyone who thinks like that hopefully he fires their dumb *****.
              Extend Prado!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                You also don't approach Baseball with the attitude of expecting to guarantee anything. You play the odds and try to maximize your chances. Pitching to Pence is a far more dangerous option than pitching to Martinez. Ten year olds across the world could have told that fool that.

                Apparently, they're also going to have Lowe on a short leash, too. FW publicly says he doesn't see him in the rotation.


                I feel a lot better today than I did 24 hours ago.
                3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                "All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Los Bravos View Post
                  You also don't approach Baseball with the attitude of expecting to guarantee anything. You play the odds and try to maximize your chances. Pitching to Pence is a far more dangerous option than pitching to Martinez. Ten year olds across the world could have told that fool that.

                  Apparently, they're also going to have Lowe on a short leash, too. FW publicly says he doesn't see him in the rotation.


                  I feel a lot better today than I did 24 hours ago.
                  Saw that and thankfully he said Heyward wasn't going anywhere though he might have competition which is fine with me.
                  Extend Prado!!!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                    There is also a rumor that some in the front office want to trade Heyward, if Wren finds anyone who thinks like that hopefully he fires their dumb *****.
                    Turns out Heyward was the best outfielder statistically despite the low BA.
                    46 wins to match last year's total

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There is a school of thought that Buster's source for that rumor was Gonzalez himself, hence the public smackdown of the idea by Wren.
                      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

                      "All of which makes perfect sense on paper, unless you have actually at any time in your life watched baseball being played." - The Commissioner

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        5 quick predictions for the offseason.

                        1. No Braves starter gets traded unless named Derek Lowe.

                        2. Braves will bring in someone like Jack Wilson or Wilson himself to backup Pastornicky.

                        3. Braves will release Diaz again and bring in someone like Cody Ross.

                        4. A favorite of all, Peter Moylan, will be non-tendered with the potential of bringing him back at a cheaper price point.

                        5. Braves will sign one Georgia Reliever in Jonathan Broxton or Matt Capps on a one year incentive laden deal.
                        Extend Prado!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have to believe Alex Gonzalez will be brought back before Pastornicky starts... everything else makes sense to me.
                          46 wins to match last year's total

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                            I have to believe Alex Gonzalez will be brought back before Pastornicky starts... everything else makes sense to me.
                            Part hope for I guess because I just can't stand another year of Alex Gonzalez in the lineup everyday. I do think there are some reasons to believe the Braves will go with Pastornicky with the major reason being the terrible offensive months that Gonzalez had except for September and the extra speed he could add to the team which Fredi seemed to like with the addition of Bourn.

                            I could see them bringing him back but I think it would be pretty pointless as even his quality defense doesn't makeup enough for his terrible offense.
                            Extend Prado!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by PureBaseballFan View Post
                              Part hope for I guess because I just can't stand another year of Alex Gonzalez in the lineup everyday. I do think there are some reasons to believe the Braves will go with Pastornicky with the major reason being the terrible offensive months that Gonzalez had except for September and the extra speed he could add to the team which Fredi seemed to like with the addition of Bourn.

                              I could see them bringing him back but I think it would be pretty pointless as even his quality defense doesn't makeup enough for his terrible offense.
                              I see the Braves bringing Gonzalez back because they view him as the best option. Just keep him at the bottom of the order and everything should be fine.

                              I know I said that last year.
                              46 wins to match last year's total

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X