No announcement yet.

Braves 2014 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as Freddi keeps writing the name BJ Upton on the line-up card, I have to question his managerial ability. I don't care where he hits in the order, he's an automatic out and, more often than not, an unproductive out. Maybe he's being told from upstairs to play him. I certainly hope that's not the case but if it is, then Wrenn needs to go too. It took them about three years too long to figure out that Dan Uggla couldn't play when the rest of Braves' nation had reached that conclusion much earlier. Now they are doing the same thing with BJ. That doesn't inspire much confidence in the Braves' management.

And so with the season dwindling down to a precious few games, we see another pathetic display tonight. Another shutout on three hits. I wish I could force myself to give up and quit watching these games, but its almost getting to the point of the "train wreck" mentality where its hard to look away. This almost feels like the 80s all over again. I know they're only two games back in the wild card, but with they way they're swinging the bats, it seems like it might as well be 30. I'm ready for it to be over!

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
      And this is my very point. It seems to me he lacks passion. I don't know the whole story... Just calling it how I see it.

IMO he's an idiot based on his interviews and managerial decisions. He needs to go.

Maybe I'm bitter, but the disappointment is getting old.
      That's all definitely true. I just don't think he's patting anyone's back (he's forever looking to pass the buck to someone else, in marked contrast to Cox who would always take the bullet himself) and I din't think the players are open to being motivated by him, even if he could do it. I think they've tuned him out (some time ago) and he's hearing the rumbling behind the scenes that (hopefully) might mean his job.
      3 6 10 21 29 31 35 41 42 44 47

"To this day, and forever, no one will ever be able to make sense of the game’s record book, now smeared with phony honors. It’s unfixable." - Thomas Boswell

Comment

The biggest thing I've noticed watching the Braves all these years, my pet peeve if you will, has always been their hitters inability, or unwillingness, to make adjustments and to seem so unaware of the approach they need to take in certain situations. I really don't know whose fault that is. I saw the same thing, maybe not to this degree, but the same thing happened under Cox, especially in the playoffs which is why I think we only have one World Series win to show for all those division titles.

But getting back to Freddi. He's the manager and he has to be held accountable. That may or may not be fair, but that's just how it is. I'm not saying it his fault when, like last night, Simmons goes up there in an RBI situation and nearly comes out of his shoes swinging and missing at at pitch on the outer third that he was trying to pull over the left field wall. Such an over swing that he almost fell over himself and looked like he may have even tweaked an ankle. So here's a guy, whose not a home run hitter, trying to hit a three run homer in a situation where, especially that early in the game, all we need is a single. He took several swings exactly like that in key situations a few weeks ago in Pittsburgh. You would think they would have addressed the situation then. I would like to think someone spoke to him about it at that time. If so, it doesn't seem to have gotten his attention. Maybe the only thing that would have gotten to him would be to sit for a few games, but then, wouldn't we have been blasting Freddi for sitting the best defensive shortstop in the game while we were fighting for a playoff spot while running out of games? So I'm not sure what Freddi is supposed to, or can, do.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't really know what needs to be done. Its just totally frustrating. My gut says Freddi and Wrenn both need to go because this just isn't working. So at this point, I don't know what we have to lose. But I'm just not sure how much difference a change in management will make if we keep this same line-up and these hitters keep taking the same approach regardless of the situation.

Comment

Sabermetrics is partly at fault because it emphasizes On-Base percentage rather than hitting aka batting average. When a hitter is more concerned with his BA, he makes adjustments. When he is taught to simply get on base, the batter goes deep into the count and winds up with a K all to often. The Braves are very good at that. Even proponents of the On-Base average are starting to figure out that there is no increase in walks from years ago and we are left with huge strikeout totals. One thing about Bonds is that he usually choked up on the bat with two strikes, there are many methods and it would be beneficial to read the thoughts of batters from Deadball period.

Comment

I'm almost to the point where I would advise the Braves' hitters to just quit swinging at any pitches. Take a walk, get hit by a pitch or get called out on strikes and sit back down. I don't think they would do much worse that what we're seeing now. They either swing and miss or hit pop ups and weak grounders that, more often than not, seem to turn into DPS. Just when I don't think it could possibly get more frustrating, it does.

But I guess its really not their fault, its mine! Because every night I say I'm done with them. I had planned to watch the Baylor game last night, but there I was, like the idiot I am, sitting there at first pitch and watching Alex Wood pitch his heart out only to be denied by yet another pathetic display of total offensive incompetence. Another nine innings of agony and three hours of my life that I'll never get back. Again, that's on me, not them. So despite the fact that I have long since given up on this season, and certainly have better things to do with my time than sit there and watch an offense that couldn't score two runs in a YMCA tee ball game, I'll probably find myself watching these last few games although I know the outcome in advance. I'm looking forward to the end of the season and I'm already dreading the start of the next one. I feel like a drug addict that can't kick the stuff even though I know its killing me. Maybe I'll go into 'Braves re-hab' over the winter and try to get some help.
            Last edited by Hell Hound; 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

The Braves are done, and may drop into third or fourth.

Comment

The only question that remains is will they finish above or below .500. I'm betting under!

Comment

If the Braves went on to win all their remaining games, they'd be world champions. I'm not betting on it though.

One thing I would be betting on is the firing of their batting coach.

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Steve View Post
                    If the Braves went on to win all their remaining games, they'd be world champions. I'm not betting on it though.

One thing I would be betting on is the firing of their batting coach.
                    Batting Coach, manager, and CF should all be fired. This team needs a massive overhaul in the offseason
                    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
                      Batting Coach, manager, and CF should all be fired. This team needs a massive overhaul in the offseason
                      I totally agree. But I would add the GM to that mix. After all, he's the one who put this team of hit-less wonders together.

Comment

I'm disappointed fellas.
                        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I'm more disgusted and frustrated than disappointed. But there is some disappointment when you arguably have as good a pitching staff as any team in baseball and you're no better than .500 after 150 games.

I know they're done and I have no zero expectations for these last 12 games, BUT... Is is too much to ask of a guy that's making like $15 million a year to play base ball and is hitting .207 to bust it down the line to first on a ground ball to short when you're down 2 in the ninth with the tying runs on base and you're fighting for your playoff life? Again, I don't think last night's game matters in the grand scheme of things because I don 't think the Braves make the playoff regardless if they'd pulled that one out or not. Its just the principal of the thing. And its just adds to my disgust, frustration and disappointment. And if BJ Upton plays another game for the Braves, those emotions will be doubled!

Comment

They looked flat against Texas. MLB Now said they were doomed. The panel also said that they hit lefties okay, but against righties, all a pitcher has to do is get past Freeman and Heyward and it's a bunch of easy outs. They've scored only 8 runs in their last 4 games.

Comment

Make that 8 in their last 5 games. Another day, another shutout. I think they're like 2-12 for the month of September. This is twice in 4 years that they've had a monumental collapse in Sept. although, unlike 2011, you could see this one coming since the All Star break if not sooner. But its obvious that they've mailed it in some time ago which is an insult to the fans, especially idiots like me who watch every game, the uniform and the game. I just hope they enjoyed seeing the Nats celebrate the division title on their home field. But something tells me that it doesn't bother them as much as it does us. They're now have a losing record for the season but the good news is, only 11 more games and then, hopefully, the house cleaning can begin.

Comment

I live about 3000 miles from Atlanta, so I don't see the Braves very often on TV, Hell Hound. What is the press saying about the team? I think the house-cleaning is a sure thing. Is that what the local press is saying?

Go Wood.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X