Braves 2014 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SABR Steve View Post
    I live about 3000 miles from Atlanta, so I don't see the Braves very often on TV, Hell Hound. What is the press saying about the team? I think the house-cleaning is a sure thing. Is that what the local press is saying?

Go Wood.
    The TV announcers are still trying to paint a somewhat rosy picture. It wasn't until last weekend after the third straight loss in Texas that one of them (Joe Simpson) finally conceded that the the division title , "Ain't happening," but believe it or not, they're still unwilling to admit on air that the wild card is a lost cause as well. To hear that idiot Paul Byrd tell it, you think they were still in the WC driver's seat. I guess that's their job, but it sounds pretty ridiculous at this point.

As for the local press, it depends on who you listen to. The consensus seems to be that "heads will roll" but nobody seems sure exactly who will be gone. Or if it will be a major overhaul or a minor tweaking. There is also the opinion be expressed that the Braves' are a loyal organization and they won't panic and tear everything down because of one bad year. I guess the bottom line is that nobody knows anything for sure, but I get the feeling that major changes are coming. But it seems like the fans are ready for changes but the press, as a whole, is not certain that they will come.

Comment

Thanks, but it would be a sound move to change hitting coaches.

It was good to see the Braves snap out of their hitting slump with a herd of three runs--whoop-de-do.

Comment

I think, or at least I hope, that its a given that if Freddie is let go, all the coaches, with the possible exception of TP, will be gone with him. They may be fired even if he is retained. And the only reason I think they may keep Pendleton is because of the organization's history of being loyal to former players. In fact, I've heard his name mentioned in speculation as a possible replacement for Freddi. I'm not sure that he'd be very high on my list of potential candidates but we'll see. I'm still not totally convinced that Freddi will be fired, but they've got to do something. Either way, this should be one of the more interesting off seasons we've seen in a while. The only thing that CAN'T do is nothing!

And yeah, three runs in game three of the Nationals series seemed like a real offensive explosion! Until you consider they only scored runs in two of 26 innings in that entire series.

Comment

Another shutout doesn't help the management.
          On a side note, baseball sure has changed over the years. I mean the Mets needed four pitchers to hurl a five-hit whitewash?
          I looked up Justin Upton, he's 2-for-22 in his last seven games. This is the same guy that Gerald Laird claimed was his pick for the MVP just a couple of weeks ago!
          What seems obvious is that in the old days with one-year contracts, players would beef up their numbers for next years salary negotiations.
          I'm to old to cry-I--- think.

Comment

Steve, I'm also too old to cry, but that hasn't stopped me yet. Watching this team would make any grown man cry. But you're right, we're living in a whole different era than when I, and you probably, remember.

But with 9 games left and 7 behind for the WC, I think its safe to say this season is over and its time to turn our attention to next year and/or the off season. The more I think about it, the less certain I am that the Braves will make any major changes. I'm not sure of the contract status of all the position players, but I think most, if not all of them, are locked up into multi-year seals for more money than they're worth which will make them hard to trade when you consider their bang for the buck the last couple of years. And with the money owed to Dan Uggla through next year and BJ Upton for the next three, you would think they will be very restricted in what they can do through free agency this winter.

So that brings us to Freddie and his staff. They might, probably, should fire him and all the coaches. But let's face it, with the same line-up intact, can we really expect and new manager and coaching staff to come in and make that much of a difference? I'm not sure we can. I really like Freddie but when I see him keep on playing the Dan Uggla's and BJ Upton's long after it is apparent to anybody with a set of eyes that they are never going to produce, I have to question his decision making. The question becomes, is that his decision or was he told by Wrenn to stick with them because of the money invested, or is he just too loyal for his own good? Again, I don't know. So that brings us to Wrenn.

Since i'm not sure a short term fix is in order, we need to look at the long term. And I think we need to start at the top with a new GM who has a different vision and can build a more complete team instead of an over paid one that looks more like the're trying to play home run derby every night than win baseball games. And I think that starts at the top. I'm really afraid its going to take several years to straighten this mess out, but its GOT to start in the off season. The bad news is that I fear we may have to suffer through a few more wretched seasons like this one before that process is complete. Now, excuse me while I go off and cry!

Comment

On a side note, baseball sure has changed over the years. I mean the Mets needed four pitchers to hurl a five-hit whitewash?
              Terry Collins works in mysterious ways.
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

I'm elated that Frank Wren has been shown the door. I hear there's a pretty good replacement waiting in the wings. Forgot his name. I'm not sure about Gonzalez, but the braves need to find a hitting coach. I wonder if Rod Carew or Wade Boggs is available.
                On another note Billy Beane has been having his problems too with the A's collapse. I wonder if Brad Pitt is available?

You guys keep in touch, I'm too far away to get all the info.

Comment

I'm with you , Steve. I thought all along that Wrenn had to be held more accountable for this mess than Fredi or the coaches, although I think they do bear some of the responsibility. But you can't construct a team made up of overpaid home run derby contestants and expect any manager and coaches to work magic. As I've stated before, I question Fredi's decisions to go so long with Uggla and BJ, but I don't know if that was his decision or Wrenn's. For now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if he is let go, I won't lose any sleep over it. My gut tells me they need to overhaul this whole team and it has to start at the top and work down. It looks like they've taken the first step which is the first good thing us Brave's fans have had happen all year.

Comment

And the shutouts just keep coming! Schuerholz was in the booth during the second inning tonight to discuss today's events with Joe, Chip and Glavine. He said he, John Hart and Bobby Cox will be making joint decisions in the interim until a new GM is named. But I got the feeling that it will be him who has the final say so on any potential moves.

He made a point of wanting to get back to "the Braves' way of doing things" which he feels they'd gotten away from in recent years. When asked to define "the Braves' way" he said it meant scouting and player development as opposed to going out and signing and/or trading for high priced veterans and giving them long term deals. I agree with that approach, but I couldn't help but think that the Braves' began to go down that road with some of the moves he made late in his career as GM. Starting with trading Adam Wainwright to get J.D Drew for one year and trading 4 of our best prospects for Mark Texieria when we needed to be rebuilding as opposed to adding one bat that wasn't going to make a bit of difference and was not going to re-sign either. But it seems like the Uggla trade and the BJ Upton fiasco have finally made him wake up and realize signing high priced players can backfire if the money puts too much pressure on them, or they become complacent due to lack of incentive. That young guys who are trying to get to that point are more likely to be much hungrier and motivated than these rich fat cats.

Also, the point was made that Bobby Cox had given Fredi a huge vote of confidence which seems to carry a lot of weight. But as I understood, Schuerholz stated that no final decision on Fredi or his staff would be made until a new GM is in place. So I don't know if there are more changes coming or not. I guess we'll just have to stay tuned.

Comment

Excuse me. Can you please tell your boys to win at least one of these next three games? Thanks!
                      1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                      The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                        Excuse me. Can you please tell your boys to win at least one of these next three games? Thanks!
                        No promises. You gotta score a run to win.
                        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

The only thing the Braves have hit all year is rock bottom! Listening to Ervin Santana's comments after Sunday's game, I get the feeling he is pretty much fed up with this sorry offense, so I don't think there is any chance of re-signing him even if the money was there, which I don't expect it to be in the first place. But with all of the attention drawn to this sorry offense and what changes or tweaks will be made in the off season, I think we may be neglecting some concerns about the starting rotation for 2015. I think we're in pretty good shape with Teheran and Wood, but if Santana walks, which I expect him to do, and we don't re-sign Haranag, which is also a real possibility...that leaves Minor who has had shoulder issues this year and Beachy and Medlin who are both coming off a SECOND elbow surgery. I'm not sure about the status of Gavin Floyd, I think he was only given a year and with his health issues, I don't think you take another chance on him. So I don't know. Only one thing is for sure, whoever the new GM is, he's going to have his work cut out for him.

Comment

Mark DeRosa on yesterday's MLB Now show said that the Braves lack enthusiasm. Hart was interviewed, and although he doesn't want to go beyond interim, he definitely wants to get the Braves back to where they once were. I was able to watch last night's 1-0 game and was digusted with BJ's lack of batsmanship to end the game. Does anyone on the team care?
                            In any case, I wouldn't want to do any favors for the Cards.

Comment

Mark DeRosa on yesterday's MLB Now show said that the Braves lack enthusiasm. Hart was interviewed, and although he doesn't want to go beyond interim, he definitely wants to get the Braves back to where they once were. I was able to watch last night's 1-0 game and was digusted with BJ's lack of batsmanship to end the game. Does anyone on the team care?
                              In any case, I wouldn't want to do any favors for the Cards.
                              That is not very kind at all. We have tons tons of favors for you. Knocking out the Mets in 2006. Knocking out the Phillies in 2011. Knocking out the Nats in 2012. beating the Nats to a bloody pulp almost every time we have played them the past two seasons.

Can't you be nice and win ONE of the next three?
                              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

If I had my way, we'd win these last three against the Pirates then sweep the Phillies. If that helps the Cardinals, so be it. I have no problem with that. Of course, I don't have my way as the Braves' record and place in the standings indicates. But I want the Braves to win every game regardless of their situation at any particular point in time. About the only thing we have left to play for is a winning record which is looking less and less likely to happen. The only other thing we have to play for is being a spoiler but with only three games left to accomplish that. But I agree with Steve that it appears that nobody cares. How can they care when they keep putting BJ Upton in the line-up?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X