No announcement yet.

Braves 2014 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the good thing about our staff is the depth. We potentially have more than 5 guys who have been effective at one point in their career. We can mix and match the rotation until the best 5 is decided.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I hope Smith is right and this year's offense was just a blip, but I'm not so sure that's the case. I know this is still a relatively young line-up and it may be too early in some cases to draw real meaningful conclusions. But for the most part, I worry that this may just be who we are.

If you look at the 8 position players who had the lion's share of the starts this season, with the exception of the rookie platoon of LaStella and Gosselin at second base, their numbers this year for the most part were pretty much in line with their career stats. Freeman (2014 ave./career) (.288/.286); Simmons (.244/.252) Johnson (.263/.283); J. Upton (.270/.274); BJ Upton (.208/.243); Heyward (.271/.262); Gattis (.263/.253)

But the most troublesome thing to me is not the averages as much as the excessive amount of strikeouts, inability to make productive outs, move runners over and lack of speed. I also think hitting with RISP is a huge problem because of hitters unwillingness to cut down on their swing, especially with two strikes, and try to hit something other than a 3 run homer. I find myself watching the KC Royals and thinking, "Damn! I wish the Braves' offense had been put together like that!" Again, I put most of blame for that on Wrenn. And now that he's gone, we will just have to wait and see what changes occur and in what direction we go from here.

And even if Beachy and Medlin BOTH come back all the way from Tommy John, and assuming Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez do the same, I'm not sure we'll have any better than the 4th best rotation in our division. That, combined with all the question marks on offense, doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling going into another long, cold winter. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Comment

IMO one of our least-talked about, yet biggest problems is our hole at 3B. Chris Johnson is NOT worthy of a starting gig. I knew right when 2013 was over that it was a fluke for him.

We need to upgrade at 3rd, because Johnson would be a valuable bench piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
          IMO one of our least-talked about, yet biggest problems is our hole at 3B. Chris Johnson is NOT worthy of a starting gig. I knew right when 2013 was over that it was a fluke for him.

We need to upgrade at 3rd, because Johnson would be a valuable bench piece.
          I've decided to not get my hopes up with that. Upgrading third means a huge hole somewhere else and that won't help.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
            I've decided to not get my hopes up with that. Upgrading third means a huge hole somewhere else and that won't help.
            What do you mean, Sam?

Comment

Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected:
              http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...z-defects.html
              The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected:
                http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...z-defects.html
                So why are you posting that here? :P The Braves never get those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
                  What do you mean, Sam?
                  Well, what I mean is they'd have to give up someone huge to get someone of better quality than Chris Johnson. People may think that's easy, but unless there's some hidden third baseman in the woodworks somewhere that can hit a better .263 than he can left-handed and as cheap as dirt, then they're pretty much stuck with him.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                    So why are you posting that here? :P The Braves never get those guys.
                    I want to see Jose Fernandez bat against Jose Fernandez the pitcher.
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      I want to see Jose Fernandez bat against Jose Fernandez the pitcher.
                      Well, if he does, it'll be for the Philies.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X