X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    I want to see Jose Fernandez bat against Jose Fernandez the pitcher.
    Well, if he does, it'll be for the Philies.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    So why are you posting that here? :P The Braves never get those guys.
    I want to see Jose Fernandez bat against Jose Fernandez the pitcher.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    What do you mean, Sam?
    Well, what I mean is they'd have to give up someone huge to get someone of better quality than Chris Johnson. People may think that's easy, but unless there's some hidden third baseman in the woodworks somewhere that can hit a better .263 than he can left-handed and as cheap as dirt, then they're pretty much stuck with him.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
    Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...z-defects.html
    So why are you posting that here? :P The Braves never get those guys.

Leave a comment:

• Blue387
    replied
    Cuban second baseman Jose Fernandez has defected:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...z-defects.html

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    I've decided to not get my hopes up with that. Upgrading third means a huge hole somewhere else and that won't help.
    What do you mean, Sam?

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    IMO one of our least-talked about, yet biggest problems is our hole at 3B. Chris Johnson is NOT worthy of a starting gig. I knew right when 2013 was over that it was a fluke for him.

We need to upgrade at 3rd, because Johnson would be a valuable bench piece.
    I've decided to not get my hopes up with that. Upgrading third means a huge hole somewhere else and that won't help.

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    IMO one of our least-talked about, yet biggest problems is our hole at 3B. Chris Johnson is NOT worthy of a starting gig. I knew right when 2013 was over that it was a fluke for him.

We need to upgrade at 3rd, because Johnson would be a valuable bench piece.

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    I hope Smith is right and this year's offense was just a blip, but I'm not so sure that's the case. I know this is still a relatively young line-up and it may be too early in some cases to draw real meaningful conclusions. But for the most part, I worry that this may just be who we are.

If you look at the 8 position players who had the lion's share of the starts this season, with the exception of the rookie platoon of LaStella and Gosselin at second base, their numbers this year for the most part were pretty much in line with their career stats. Freeman (2014 ave./career) (.288/.286); Simmons (.244/.252) Johnson (.263/.283); J. Upton (.270/.274); BJ Upton (.208/.243); Heyward (.271/.262); Gattis (.263/.253)

But the most troublesome thing to me is not the averages as much as the excessive amount of strikeouts, inability to make productive outs, move runners over and lack of speed. I also think hitting with RISP is a huge problem because of hitters unwillingness to cut down on their swing, especially with two strikes, and try to hit something other than a 3 run homer. I find myself watching the KC Royals and thinking, "Damn! I wish the Braves' offense had been put together like that!" Again, I put most of blame for that on Wrenn. And now that he's gone, we will just have to wait and see what changes occur and in what direction we go from here.

And even if Beachy and Medlin BOTH come back all the way from Tommy John, and assuming Matt Harvey and Jose Fernandez do the same, I'm not sure we'll have any better than the 4th best rotation in our division. That, combined with all the question marks on offense, doesn't exactly give me a warm and fuzzy feeling going into another long, cold winter. We'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out.

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    I think the good thing about our staff is the depth. We potentially have more than 5 guys who have been effective at one point in their career. We can mix and match the rotation until the best 5 is decided.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    I don't think they'll be stupid enough to rely on Medlen and Beachy alone and get no one else, especially after losing Santana and having to rely on Minor bouncing back from the worst season of his career and possibly bringing back Aaron Harang. This team has made some dumb decisions, but they're not that dumb.

And even though everything went wrong with the offense I'm fully convinced that it was a blip, since those points were about as low as an offense can get. I think they only have to improve marginally across the board and they're better for it.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    I'm really OK with Fredi coming back. I would have been fine with it if they'd made a move, but I can't help but wonder what difference a new manager would make if we have the same old tired line-up. My only real complaint with Fredi is that he kept, and has kept, writing the names Uggla and B. Upton on the lineup card night after night when even an idiot like me knew they were never going to hit again. I'm not 100% sure that he wasn't being told to play them from up above, but if that wasn't the case then his judgement as a manger should be seriously questioned. But Wrenn handed him this mess through his bad deals and decision making so I thought he needed to go before Fredi, although I would have been fine if both had been let go.

I'm not assume that B.J. is going anywhere. Nobody in their right mind is going to take him, and if anybody is crazy enough to the Braves will still have to pay the lion's shre of his $15 million a year through 2017. If they're going to do that, they might just as well eat his salary like the did Uggla. But with that money, plus the $13 mill they'll still owe Uggla through next year, I'm not sure the Braves are going to be signing any high priced free agents, which is exactly what Scheruholz said they we're going to get away from.

And with all this talk about the offense, I still think we are over looking some big question marks in the rotation. I'm not confident that either Medlin or Beachy are both coming back and being the same guys they were before, not after two Tommy John"s apiece. So if there is any big money that could be spent to shore up the offense, some of it might needed to be saved in case we have to go after another starting pitcher before next year.
    Last edited by Hell Hound; 10-14-2014, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    I assume Bonifacio is not an option. Venable or Fowler? Maybe even Gregor Blanco?
    I dig Venable or Blanco. It'd probably take too much to get Fowler.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    A platoon in CF wouldn't hurt. I think BJ would play much better getting consistent AB's against LHPs and being our main pinch-hitter.
    I assume Bonifacio is not an option. Venable or Fowler? Maybe even Gregor Blanco?

Leave a comment:

• Francoeurstein
    replied
    I'm not particularly enamored with Gonzalez coming back. However, I don't think he can screw up much more than he already has.

And of course BJ doesn't deserve to play in Atlanta anymore. The truth is they may have to endure him for at least another year. Having to eat all or part of $45 million just to get rid of him would be even more franchise-crippling than him hitting .208 again.
    A platoon in CF wouldn't hurt. I think BJ would play much better getting consistent AB's against LHPs and being our main pinch-hitter.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X