Braves 2014-15 Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    He's not THAT terrible, could still be useful as a utility player.
    He's a nice guy and fast but you can't steal first with a sub-300 OBP in 2014.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• If anyone has the inside track to start it's Jonny Gomes. Young could be a good bench guy.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

• Besides don't underestimate Fredi Gonzalez. He likes speedy guys that can't hit doubles to save their lives. Jose Constanza stuck around for four years.

Comment

• I like those guys myself. If he can get on base and steal second, that's as good as a double in many cases. But I think you're right. Fredi likes to preach, "keep the line moving" and this is the kind of guy, much like Constanza, who can help do that. His career BA is only .252 with a .320 OBP which isn't terrible. It looks like he only strikes out in 1 of five official ABs which isn't bad in this era. I like speed guys who can put the ball in play. As we stand here today, I like this pick up better than Almonte. BTW, isn't he the guy who broke Hudson's ankle a few years back?

Comment

• Seems like we've got a ton of fringe-MLB players but not enough roster spots. Gonna be a good year in my back yard in Gwinnett! Might have to check them out some this year.
            Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hell Hound View Post
              I like those guys myself. If he can get on base and steal second, that's as good as a double in many cases. But I think you're right. Fredi likes to preach, "keep the line moving" and this is the kind of guy, much like Constanza, who can help do that. His career BA is only .252 with a .320 OBP which isn't terrible. It looks like he only strikes out in 1 of five official ABs which isn't bad in this era. I like speed guys who can put the ball in play. As we stand here today, I like this pick up better than Almonte. BTW, isn't he the guy who broke Hudson's ankle a few years back?
              Yes, Young was the guy who accidentally stepped on Hudson's ankle. Well, he'll certainly get a shot to be the left fielder. Sure a lot of people will over the course of the year.

Comment

• The good news is that we finally got rid of B.J. Upton! The bad new is that now we've got Melvin Upton Jr. I guess he figures that he's tried everything else to get straightened out that he might as well try a name change. I wish him well and hope and pray that it works, but I'm going to remain unconvinced until I see some tangible evidence that he's really a different guy, and not just the same one with a different name.

Comment

• It's not really a different name, it's his name. I do think he wants to distance himself from the last two years but we can only guess on that because only he knows. I don't mind calling him "Mel".

Comment

• Interesting look at our transactions since November: http://www.macon.com/static/media/pr...jquery/Braves/

I see we signed Eric Young Jr, looks like another OF candidate. We know he can cause some havoc on the basepaths.
                    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

• Looking forward to spring to see who actually makes it. Call me crazy, but I might actually enjoy this season a lot more than I have the past ones. If there are low expectations, then it's okay if they lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atlanta Braves Freak View Post
                        I see we signed Eric Young Jr, looks like another OF candidate. We know he can cause some havoc on the basepaths.
                        If he gets on base. He had a .299 OBP in 2014 and you can't steal first.
                        The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                          If he gets on base. He had a .299 OBP in 2014 and you can't steal first.
                          I get it: he's the new Jose Constanza, big whoop. You don't have to keep reminding us of that.

Comment

• Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                            Looking forward to spring to see who actually makes it. Call me crazy, but I might actually enjoy this season a lot more than I have the past ones. If there are low expectations, then it's okay if they lose.
                            That's pretty much the same approach I'm taking and I agree, this season may be more fun than any in recent memory simply because of that very fact, that is expectations being so low. Therefore, our chances of being disappointed should be equally as low. The only way we may wind up being disappointed is if by some miracle, we get off to an unexpected fast start then go downhill from there. But I don't expect that to happen. My best hope for this season is that we steadily improve over the course of the year, see a lot of this young guys get thrown in there and watch them begin to develop, and hopefully by September, we can actually play the spoiler for some contending teams in our division. I don't think you can or should define our success this year by the total number of wins or place in the standings, and that might be fun for a change. But hopefully, that's something we don't have to get used to long term.
                            Last edited by Hell Hound; 02-25-2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Well, if the Braves win, then people will say "Where did this come from? It doesn't make any sense." And if they start losing after that, they'll say "Ah, okay, things make sense now." I mean, sheesh, most people are predicting they won't even win 75 games. That's about as low expectations as you can get.

Comment

• Mel Upton, Jr. to miss spring training with inflammation near the toes on his left foot:

http://braves.mlb.com/news/article/1...n-in-left-foot

Harsh to say, given that Upton sounds like he wants to rebound so badly, but this may improve the Braves marginally for a few weeks. My guess is the center field job is wide open and Jonny Gomes will man left full-time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X