Braves 2014-15 Off-Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
    Ha! Greg Norton. What a blast from the past. I think we got Danny Kolb that same year? Remember him? He pretty much did the same thing.
    Yes, but Norton was actually good. His and Hinske's collapses from one year to the next is seared in my brain.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
      Yes, but Norton was actually good. His and Hinske's collapses from one year to the next is seared in my brain.
      Kolb was coming off two 1.96 and 2.98 ERA seasons. He was solid until he came to Atlanta. He's no Chris Reeksma, though.

Remember Bob Wickman? He did good in his short stint in Atlanta. BB-Ref has him listed at 6'1" 207, but he looked about 250+ when he pitched. They also have David Wells at 6'3" 187.....
      Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
        Kolb was coming off two 1.96 and 2.98 ERA seasons. He was solid until he came to Atlanta. He's no Chris Reeksma, though.

Remember Bob Wickman? He did good in his short stint in Atlanta. BB-Ref has him listed at 6'1" 207, but he looked about 250+ when he pitched. They also have David Wells at 6'3" 187.....
        Yeah I remember Wickman. Kolb was bound to crash because he was a ground ball guy and I never understood what they saw in Reitsma. At least with him they followed the "don't put your best reliever in the closer role" principle.

Comment

Met the Braves #1 prospect yesterday, and had a long chat with him. Great guy.
          Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Cubs, Braves swap Tommy La Stella, Arodys Vizcaino:
            http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...la-stella.html
            The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Perfectly fine with this trade. La Stella can't hit for power so Pastornicky, Peña, or even Jose Peraza, can easily take his place. I've seen people worry about losing his contact ability, but that only gets you so far.

Comment

Heyward and Walden to the Cards for Shelby Miller and minor league pitcher Tyrell Jenkins
                http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseb...rdinals/nh8p9/
                2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

Comment

Jason Heyward and Jordan Walden traded to St. Louis for Shelby Miller and Tyrell Jenkins! I didn't see this one coming. I know the Braves are in need of starting pitching with the uncertainty of so many guys, but I thought Heyward might be one of our few position players than would be safer than most of the others. Perhaps they wanted to unload him before he became a free agent, I don't know. This is a move that seems to weaken our defense in the short term. Miller is a decent starter with a career 3.33 and 370 innings in 69 starts and he's only 24. The Jenkins kid is only 22 with a 6-5 record and a 3.28 in 13 Class A starts. On the surface, it seems like the Cards got the better of this deal, at least in the immediate future. I'm thinking this is move might be an indication that the Braves are looking further down the road and we may see more similar moves. I was expecting a lot from the Braves next year, but now it appears they may be looking much further ahead than that so we may be in for a few more long years before we see the light at the end of the tunnel.
                  Last edited by Hell Hound; 11-18-2014, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Who will play in the outfield in Heyward's place?
                    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                      Who will play in the outfield in Heyward's place?
                      It's Justin Upton or an import. They have no outfield prospects at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue387 View Post
                        Cubs, Braves swap Tommy La Stella, Arodys Vizcaino:
                        http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/1...la-stella.html
                        So, Vizcaino is just coming back. Wasn't he a pretty big Braves prospect back in the day?

Comment

Cory Gearrin clears waivers, becomes free agent

Overwork ‘em and let ‘em go. That what the Braves decided to do to reliever Cory Gearrin on Tuesday, releasing him seven months after he underwent Tommy John surgery.

Gearrin, 28, had a 4.28 ERA in 77 relief appearances for the Braves from 2013, striking out 68 in 69 1/3 innings.

Read more:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-john-surgery/

Comment

Yeah, I would guess J. Upton would move to right (his more natural position) as things stand right now. So the question becomes, who plays left? Gattis perhaps since
                            Bethencourt's future seems to be now. And of course what do they do about center? Will they eat BJ's contract or make a trade and pick up most of it, assuming they can find a team who wants a .200 hitting OF who strikes out 200 times. I'm guessing there's not a big demand for that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                              So, Vizcaino is just coming back. Wasn't he a pretty big Braves prospect back in the day?
                              I'm thinking he was a pretty hot Yankee prospect who we got in the Javier Vasquez trade along with Melky Cabrerra. He was considered to be great pick up back then and showed some promise in his short stay but I'm thinking he's had some arm trouble since, Tommy John maybe? I think he was sent to the Cubs in the Maholm/Reed Johnson trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtipper View Post
                                Overwork ‘em and let ‘em go. That what the Braves decided to do to reliever Cory Gearrin on Tuesday, releasing him seven months after he underwent Tommy John surgery.

Gearrin, 28, had a 4.28 ERA in 77 relief appearances for the Braves from 2013, striking out 68 in 69 1/3 innings.

Read more:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...-john-surgery/
                                Wasn't really thst good anyway.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X