Hell on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell on Earth

.............is watching the 2006 Atlanta Braves, this is the worst I have ever seen them play, hopefully there is another strike so that we can have another get out of jail free card

but we totally would have beat the Expos that year anyway

seriously this is hell, this is essentially the same team as last year but they are playing horrible, HORRIBLE, I know the Mets are damn good this year but we climbed back to 3 1/2 games out and then fell back to 11

maybe we really do miss Leo, honestly, I think thats what it is

You want Hell on Earth?

Come spend a day touring the slums and shanties with me in Manila.

I wish all I had to complain about was how my team is doing, but I can't complain, my team is not doing to bad.

I ran into a guy from Atlanta decked out in his cap and shirt yesterday and I told him the ride is over. He just laughed and said nothing lasts forever.

I think talking to him might be good for you.
    Last edited by runningshoes; 06-14-2006, 01:31 AM.
    "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
    Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Double post
      "I think about baseball when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day and I dream about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm playing it."
      Carl Yastrzemski

Comment

Originally posted by runningshoes53
        You want Hell on Earth?

Come spend a day touring the slums and shanties with me in Manila.

I wish all I had to complain about was how my team is doing, but I can't complain, my team is not doing to bad.

I ran into a guy from Atlanta decked out in his cap and shirt yesterday and I told him the ride is over. He just laughed and said nothing lasts forever.

I think talking to him might be good for you.
        Ahh a sane poster on this forum! Thanks RunningShoes. Iam as big of a Braves fan as there is, but you had to know this day was coming and the reality is it is not as bad as it could be, they actually have a future.
        I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Perhaps some of you Braves fans are either too young to
          remember the 1970s and 1980s or have forgotten, but that
          was when the Braves were really awful except for a few
          seasons like 1982.

I guess 14 straight division championships have left Braves
          fans as spoiled rotten as Alabama football fans! War Eagle!

Brownie31

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
            Perhaps some of you Braves fans are either too young to
            remember the 1970s and 1980s or have forgotten, but that
            was when the Braves were really awful except for a few
            seasons like 1982.

I guess 14 straight division championships have left Braves
            fans as spoiled rotten as Alabama football fans! War Eagle!

Brownie31
            You know I was thinking the same thing. foxx said that this is the worst he has ever seen them play which leads me to the conclusion that he is either too young to remember the Braves of the 80's or he did not become a fan until after 1991. I myself am too young to remember the Braves of the 1970's but I do recall the late 80's and believe me when I say, this is not the worst they can play, this is not rock bottom, this is not the end of the world, this is not hell on earth.

I remember the joke in the 80's, "I had two tickets to the Braves game and stuck it under the windshield of my car with a sign that said free tickets. When I came back to the car there were 5 more!" This joke was not a knock on the Braves fans (as it may be now) but the team was simply that bad.
            I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
              You know I was thinking the same thing. foxx said that this is the worst he has ever seen them play which leads me to the conclusion that he is either too young to remember the Braves of the 80's or he did not become a fan until after 1991. I myself am too young to remember the Braves of the 1970's but I do recall the late 80's and believe me when I say, this is not the worst they can play, this is not rock bottom, this is not the end of the world, this is not hell on earth.

I remember the joke in the 80's, "I had two tickets to the Braves game and stuck it under the windshield of my car with a sign that said free tickets. When I came back to the car there were 5 more!" This joke was not a knock on the Braves fans (as it may be now) but the team was simply that bad.
              jpenrod:

Wasn't there also a bumper sticker that read: "Go Braves and
              take the Falcons with you"?

It is sure easy to become spoiled by success!

Brownie31

Comment

I haven't thrown in the towel on '06 yet. It's still the middle of June and plenty of time for things to change.

However, this still means that JS is going to have to make some deals. A Solomon Torres , Fuentes, or Nathan would be a good strength to the bullpen.
                Plus a couple of names like Will Startup and Manny Acosta come to mind.
                The Braves disabled Reitsma and already promoted Phil Stockman to the big club. He has pitched awesome in AAA.

As for the rotation, Smoltz and Hudson are going to be there and win you, or at least keep you in, important games. The bottom 3 of the rotation is very suspect. Especially Sosa, who you can pretty much count on for a loss, when he pitches. In a few days Chuck James will be called up and Sosa, can either be sent down to work on his stuff or moved to the pen where he can try and work well in a long or middle relief role.
                James should stabilize the rotation, as he continues to improve each outing. Then after him you have Horacio who (minus one outing) has pitched great since coming off the DL. After him you have Thomson, who will most likely be replaced with Davies when he is healthy, which shouldn't be too far away.
                That should give us a solid front 5.

As for the lineup. As much as I have defended Brian Jordan and love to see him play. His lack of skills have now over-weighed his great clubhouse influence. He should be talked to by the Braves into retiring. That way he'd have a great send-off. Then the Braves could call up Scott Thorman. He could start in LF. Then when Lefty's pitch (LaRoche's day off because he can't hit leftys) Thorman could play 1B. In the minors he has shown he can hit leftys though he is lefty himself. Then Diaz could play LF. And in the 8th inning when we have a lead, the braves could send out Langerhans to play LF because of his great defense.
                Let's face it. Thorman is hitting over .300 at AAA with big power numbers, he's not going to do any worse than Jordan is. If he could come up and hit .280 with power that would be as much as the Braves need. Plus Scott has cut down his k-numbers a lot, something the Braves would be thankful for. Every year Thorman is better and better. Bye Bye Brian and hello Scottie.
                Also, use Giles as trade bate. This is a must. He's gonna be overpaid, and he can't hit leadoff, the only place the Braves can hit him. Let Wilson Betemit take over full time at 2nd. His defense is not going to be as great as Giles, but it won't be very far off, the guy is athletic enough to play nearly anywhere. The guy deserves an everyday job. The worst he's gonna do is hit .280 and that 40 points higher than out current leadoff man, and plus Wilson has more power than Giles. And the leads to more leadoff extra base hits, which leads to more early scoring runs. Then to fill Betemit's bench role, you call up Martin Prado, who Bobby Cox adores and let him blossom in the bigs.

After all this, I suspect the Braves team to look this way.

Lineup
                2B Wilson Betemit
                SS Edgar Renteria
                3B Chipper Jones
                CF Andruw Jones
                C Brian McCann
                RF Jeff Francoeur
                LF Scott Thorman
                1B Adam LaRoche

Bench
                OF Matt Diaz
                OF Ryan Langerhans
                INF/OF/C Pete Orr
                C Todd Pratt
                INF Martin Prado

Rotation
                1R John Smoltz
                2R Tim Hudson
                3L Chuck James
                4L Horacio Ramirez
                5R Kyle Davies

LR L Will Startup/R Jorge Sosa/L Macay McBride
                LR R Phil Stockman
                MR R Tyler Yates/Other
                MR R Chad Paronto
                MR L Mike Remlinger
                SU *Trade*/Ken Ray

CL R Ken Ray/*Trade*

If we can get this in-order we have a good shot at staying with the Mets for the division race. So I'm am far from giving up at this point. But they need to get going very soon.
                Last edited by Go Bravos!!!#1; 06-14-2006, 02:33 PM.
                Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Brownie31
                  jpenrod:

Wasn't there also a bumper sticker that read: "Go Braves and
                  take the Falcons with you"?

It is sure easy to become spoiled by success!

Brownie31
                  Ahhh, yes that was at a time that the sport in town was the Atlanta Hawks of the NBA. My how the times have changed!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                    I haven't thrown in the towel on '05 yet.
                    Well heck, if we are talking '05 I will not throw in the towel until the 18th inning of game 4 of the NLDS in Houston. By the way I am picking the White Sox to win thier first championship since 1917 by beating the 'Stros making thier first WS appeareance....EVER!

Comment

Yeah, Braves fans are having it tough. Kind of hard to sympathize when you realize the last several years they haven't bothered to sell-out their play-off games.
                      Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                        After all this, I suspect the Braves team to look this way.

Lineup
                        2B Wilson Betemit
                        SS Edgar Renteria
                        3B Chipper Jones
                        CF Andruw Jones
                        C Brian McCann
                        RF Jeff Francoeur
                        LF Scott Thorman
                        1B Adam LaRoche

Bench
                        OF Matt Diaz
                        OF Ryan Langerhans
                        INF/OF/C Pete Orr
                        C Todd Pratt
                        INF Martin Prado

Rotation
                        1R John Smoltz
                        2R Tim Hudson
                        3L Chuck James
                        4L Horacio Ramirez
                        5R Kyle Davies

LR L Will Startup/R Jorge Sosa/L Macay McBride
                        LR R Phil Stockman
                        MR R Tyler Yates/Other
                        MR R Chad Paronto
                        MR L Mike Remlinger
                        SU *Trade*/Ken Ray

CL R Ken Ray/*Trade*

If we can get this in-order we have a good shot at staying with the Mets for the division race. So I'm am far from giving up at this point. But they need to get going very soon.

If only we could see this lineup now. Everyone loves Bobby and he's a great manager, but he seems a little hesitant to make changes and bring in young guys to give them a chance. Last year we had Mondesi and Jordan in the OF, and now we have Jordan and Reistma struggling. Call up some guys and give them a chance -- remember what Francoeur, Johnson, and Langerhans did for us last year?

Edit: Another place where you have a veteran blocking a rookie is Pratt at backup catcher. I thought Pena did a superb job when McCan was hurt, at least offensively. I don't know if he's as good at calling the game or defensively, but he deserves a shot. A quick check shows that Pratt is batting .154 versus Lefties, which is usually when McCan gets the day off.
                        Last edited by jwkfs; 06-14-2006, 02:21 PM.
                        Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
                          Well heck, if we are talking '05 I will not throw in the towel until the 18th inning of game 4 of the NLDS in Houston. By the way I am picking the White Sox to win thier first championship since 1917 by beating the 'Stros making thier first WS appeareance....EVER!
                          I meant '06, typo sorry.
                          Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

end of an era ?

Originally posted by jwkfs
                            If only we could see this lineup now. Everyone loves Bobby and he's a great manager, but he seems a little hesitant to make changes and bring in young guys to give them a chance. Last year we had Mondesi and Jordan in the OF, and now we have Jordan and Reistma struggling. Call up some guys and give them a chance -- remember what Francoeur, Johnson, and Langerhans did for us last year?

Edit: Another place where you have a veteran blocking a rookie is Pratt at backup catcher. I thought Pena did a superb job when McCan was hurt, at least offensively. I don't know if he's as good at calling the game or defensively, but he deserves a shot. A quick check shows that Pratt is batting .154 versus Lefties, which is usually when McCan gets the day off.
                            the next few weeks..up around the all star break, should reveal which way the braves will travel on...they could get hot, plug a few holes with some deals..and come up with number 15....or they can end it at 14...and begin to re tool for the next few seasons...heck, it's beeeeeen a great ride..

how can anyone be unhappy with that ?

Comment

I can't speak for all Braves fans, but I know the fans in and around Atlanta are pretty apathetic when it comes to the team. Most of the assume things will just continue on and on.

Personally I think it would be good for younger Braves' fans, and most fans around Atlanta, for the team to miss the postseason for a few years. Get people to understand that it really means something.

Anyone remember what the record LOW turnout for Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was for a single game in, I think, 1975?

I'll go ahead and give you a hint.. it was below 800 people.

Until the Braves current run they had a big problem selling tickets and filling the stadium. Then with all the success things changed, but people just are too used to winning.

-----------

That said, I really want the organization to jump on getting some trades, promotions going. They keep talking about it, so go ahead and do it. Give some of the guys burning up the minors a chance. If nothing else I can't believe Scott Thorman STILL hasn't gotten a call-up. Bobby can get a little too attached to the veterans that play for him (Jordan).

The next few weeks should be pretty interesting...

Back in 1993 when the Braves got McGriff at the all-star break, or around it anyway, the Braves finished the second half of the season 50-17. Of course considering the players they had then you could see why.

They also had TWO good closers that year, McMichaels and Wohlers (I think Wohlers, but currently can't look it up). Both got close to 20 saves a piece whatever their names were.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X