Hell on Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grizzly451
    I can't speak for all Braves fans, but I know the fans in and around Atlanta are pretty apathetic when it comes to the team. Most of the assume things will just continue on and on.

Personally I think it would be good for younger Braves' fans, and most fans around Atlanta, for the team to miss the postseason for a few years. Get people to understand that it really means something.

Anyone remember what the record LOW turnout for Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium was for a single game in, I think, 1975?

I'll go ahead and give you a hint.. it was below 800 people.

Until the Braves current run they had a big problem selling tickets and filling the stadium. Then with all the success things changed, but people just are too used to winning.

-----------

That said, I really want the organization to jump on getting some trades, promotions going. They keep talking about it, so go ahead and do it. Give some of the guys burning up the minors a chance. If nothing else I can't believe Scott Thorman STILL hasn't gotten a call-up. Bobby can get a little too attached to the veterans that play for him (Jordan).

The next few weeks should be pretty interesting...

Back in 1993 when the Braves got McGriff at the all-star break, or around it anyway, the Braves finished the second half of the season 50-17. Of course considering the players they had then you could see why.

They also had TWO good closers that year, McMichaels and Wohlers (I think Wohlers, but currently can't look it up). Both got close to 20 saves a piece whatever their names were.
    The only problem with the philosophy of "the Braves miss the playoffs and the fans can then appreciate the success" is that the only fans that will stick it out are those of us appreciating the success. Atlanta is a very Transient city and so the fan base there is transient as well. The bulk of the "fans"support the team because they are successful and fun and fashionable, as soon as they hit a tough time many of the fans will find something else to pass thier time. Se La Vie.
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Anybody see that article, where Remlinger snapped, at a question about if Chipper could have caught the ball. I hope the clubhouse isn't gonna lose it's chemistry, because once that happens, the team can't win.
      Simply... TAKING BACK THE EAST IN 2007

Comment

Here's a Link to that article.

Comment

We can't get swept by the Marlins tonight. We have to get up, dust ourselves off. And play well tonight. As hard as it may be to do this, they must to send a message that we are not going to roll over and let this season pass us by.

I also think JS needs to make a trade soon to show the team he is gung-ho behind them.

Comment

...and plus I got the new avatar of the TV Show Classic "Soap", so hey maybe that will help change our luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
              The only problem with the philosophy of "the Braves miss the playoffs and the fans can then appreciate the success" is that the only fans that will stick it out are those of us appreciating the success. Atlanta is a very Transient city and so the fan base there is transient as well. The bulk of the "fans"support the team because they are successful and fun and fashionable, as soon as they hit a tough time many of the fans will find something else to pass thier time. Se La Vie.

That really sums up part of what I was saying better then how I was trying to say it. The whole 'transient' part of the people of Atlanta that is. You certainly can't say the bulk of them are really that loyal. The extremely poor ticket sales in the 1980's when the team was doing so badly is partly an example of that

I would go so far as to say the Falcons are really the 'fashionable' team in Atlanta right now. Even though the Braves still have very solid ticket sales each year, the lack of sellouts in the postseason really says a lot I think.

I think if Blank could get his hands on the team it would do a lot in getting the people of Atlanta more excited about baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Bravos!!!#1
                Here's a Link to that article.
                Here's a link that works clicky
                Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzly451
                  That really sums up part of what I was saying better then how I was trying to say it. The whole 'transient' part of the people of Atlanta that is. You certainly can't say the bulk of them are really that loyal. The extremely poor ticket sales in the 1980's when the team was doing so badly is partly an example of that

I would go so far as to say the Falcons are really the 'fashionable' team in Atlanta right now. Even though the Braves still have very solid ticket sales each year, the lack of sellouts in the postseason really says a lot I think.

I think if Blank could get his hands on the team it would do a lot in getting the people of Atlanta more excited about baseball.
                  You are right about the Falcons. Atlanta has always been a football first city and GA a football first state.
                  I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Brave's Suck it's over.
                    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Keep the faith.

Comment

Haha. The funny thing is the year before our Division Title streak started, the Braves lost 97 games. That was in 1990.

I don't see the Bravos losing 97 games this year.

I guess 14 years is a long time to watch the Braves, but some of us have been watching a lot longer than that.

Hell, I can still remember Braves attendance hitting below 10k on clear, sunny, weekends day games.
                        1914 Boston Braves
                        July 5th: 15 games back.
                        October 13th: World Series Champs
                        (Anything is possible)
                        GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X