No announcement yet.

2015-16 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That depends on what you would consider "competitive". A couple of pundits have opined that the Braves have junked the 2017 deadline and are instead being competitive in 2018. Maybe a level of 79 wins, like in 2014, would be considered competitive?

The offense certainly isn't up to snuff for competitive standards. Maybe during the 2016-17 off-season they can sign Jose Bautista or something.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

By competitive I guess I mean being able to contend for the division or at least a wild card. If they have indeed junked the 2017 goal of being able to do that and are aiming for 2018 instead, that would make a lot more sense in light of some of these moves , and is what I had suspected to be the case. Right now, I don't see us being as good as last year in 2016. In other words, worse, if that's possible! Perhaps we'll see some progress by 2017, but its starting to look to me like this may be a long, slow, painful process to get back to where we want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell Hound View Post
        By competitive I guess I mean being able to contend for the division or at least a wild card. If they have indeed junked the 2017 goal of being able to do that and are aiming for 2018 instead, that would make a lot more sense in light of some of these moves , and is what I had suspected to be the case. Right now, I don't see us being as good as last year in 2016. In other words, worse, if that's possible! Perhaps we'll see some progress by 2017, but its starting to look to me like this may be a long, slow, painful process to get back to where we want to be.
        Come on. It's virtually impossible for them to be worse. EVERYTHING went wrong in the second half and they still avoided 100 losses. You're telling me a couple of platoons and eventually junking the Olivera outfield experiment can't improve them? Am I supposed to expect Wisler, Teheran and Banuelos to be worse than they were last year? The only reason the bullpen was so bad was because all the effective guys were gutted and they were left with retreads. Health and actual major league relievers will improve them basically.

I think we can safely expect them to win 67 games.

Comment

Braves trade prospect Ryne Harper:

http://mynorthwest.com/374/2868782/M...Atlanta-Braves

Comment

For the Ramirez trade. Big whoop.

Comment

Was he supposed to be any good?

Braves sign 2011 All-Star Alexi Ogando.

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/bas...r-leagu/npqps/

Comment

Big prospect bust I think, like Ruben Mateo.

Comment

Braves sign LHP Alex Torres:
                  http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...ex-torres.html
                  The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Big deal. He can be part of next year's bullpen carousel.

Comment

Braves sign Kyle Kendrick:
                      http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/1...-kendrick.html
                      The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

Wooooooooooo, more Detwilers.

Comment

Pretty sure we know why the off-season has hit a lull. Braves don't have any more assets people really want besides Inciarte and maybe Teheran.

Comment

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article...-year-contract

Kelly Johnson returns to the Braves and Joey Terdoslavich is put on waivers and claimed by the Orioles. No real loss.

Comment

Here's one that got by me and that I found out about a whole two months after the fact.

Nov. 12, 2015: A.J. Pierzynski signs a one-year, 3 million dollar contract to return to the Braves in 2016.

Since Pierzynski seemed to thrive in Atlanta, hitting an even .300 and catching about 110 games, it seems like a win-win for both the team and the player. He's not overly-priced and like an
                              innings-eater pitcher, he still seems capable of catching a lot of innings/games per season, even at this stage of his career.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
                                Here's one that got by me and that I found out about a whole two months after the fact.

Nov. 12, 2015: A.J. Pierzynski signs a one-year, 3 million dollar contract to return to the Braves in 2016.

Since Pierzynski seemed to thrive in Atlanta, hitting an even .300 and catching about 110 games, it seems like a win-win for both the team and the player. He's not overly-priced and like an
                                innings-eater pitcher, he still seems capable of catching a lot of innings/games per season, even at this stage of his career.
                                Yep that's right. They also brought in Tyler Flowers to platoon with him, which gives them some actual defense at the position. I contend the team can do okay if the platoons work out. Smith and Jenkins will almost certainly make their debuts this year too.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X