2015-16 Offseason Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Yep that's right. They also brought in Tyler Flowers to platoon with him, which gives them some actual defense at the position. I contend the team can do okay if the platoons work out. Smith and Jenkins will almost certainly make their debuts this year too.
    So it will be a re-pairing of the Chicago White Sox catchers of 2009-2012, Pierzynski & Flowers. Flowers may be good defensively but he's only about a .220 lifetime hitter. The team gave up on Christian Bethancout, who while he hit only an even .200 in 155 at bats and lost the starting job to A.J. last year, he will still be only 24 for most of the 2016 season and still might develop into a good player with the Padres.

Comment

Originally posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
      So it will be a re-pairing of the Chicago White Sox catchers of 2009-2012, Pierzynski & Flowers. Flowers may be good defensively but he's only about a .220 lifetime hitter. The team gave up on Christian Bethancout, who while he hit only an even .200 in 155 at bats and lost the starting job to A.J. last year, he will still be only 24 for most of the 2016 season and still might develop into a good player with the Padres.
      He might, but he wouldn't do it in Atlanta. Whatever happened, they REALLY soured on him. I think they believe that Christian doesn't put in the work to get better, so they decided to cut their losses. Obviously they're not looking for a long-term solution at catcher anymore.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

He might, but he wouldn't do it in Atlanta. Whatever happened, they REALLY soured on him. I think they believe that Christian doesn't put in the work to get better, so they decided to cut their losses. Obviously they're not looking for a long-term solution at catcher anymore.
        I NEVER understood the Christian Bethancourt hype. He had poor offensive numbers in the minors, but all I heard about was how solid he was behind the plate. In his few stints in Atlanta, he looked lost back there. Good riddance.
        Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Francoeurstein View Post
          I NEVER understood the Christian Bethancourt hype. He had poor offensive numbers in the minors, but all I heard about was how solid he was behind the plate. In his few stints in Atlanta, he looked lost back there. Good riddance.
          Welll you know how scouts can get: sometimes they exaggerate a little. I've no doubt that Bethancourt looked like he could develop star defensive skills. But his major league experience was simply not acceptable.

Comment

On MLB.com, Austin Riley who the Braves drafted in 2015 is considered the 6th best prospect among third basemen.

Comment

Originally posted by SABR Steve View Post
              On MLB.com, Austin Riley who the Braves drafted in 2015 is considered the 6th best prospect among third basemen.
              Yeah he had that impressive debut in Rookie ball. I hope he builds on it!

Comment

MLB.com lists the top 100 prospects for 2016:
                8. Dansby Swanson, ss
                21. Sean Newcomb, LHP
                29. Ozzie Albies, ss
                56. Aaron Blair, RHP
                89. Kolby Allard, LHP

In order to make the list, you have to be a rookie or qualify to be one.

Comment

And yet people insisted it was a bad trade for Simmons because Newcomb "can't throw strikes". Sure he can. Everyone's got to command their pitches at the pro level. Even Foltynewicz can do it.

Comment

I'm still sick about the Simmons trade.

Comment

That's fine, you can be sick all you want about it. I'm not. We'll ALL Be whining at some point how Simmons would get to balls that Aybar can't reach. I'm of the opinion that really won't make a substantial difference in pitching results. I was just referring to a tweet that Jeff Schultz once cited and extrapolating it a bit.

Comment

I mean, let's face it, if Erick Aybar not getting to 20-30 ground balls is what breaks this team, then they're pretty hard off.

Comment

Braves sign Carlos Torres:
                          http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/0...res-signs.html
                          The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Comment

To paraphrase a George Costanza line: "We've got Carlos. Whoop de Carlos."

Comment

I mean, let's face it, if Erick Aybar not getting to 20-30 ground balls is what breaks this team, then they're pretty hard off.
                              God forbid we have a SS with a decent bat.

Note: I just saw that we have Jholys Chacin... When did this occur? He's only a few years removed from being a solid #2 type guy for the Rockies. Hopefully he doesn't have any major shoulder damage because this guy could have some serious bounce-back potential.
                              Last edited by Francoeurstein; 02-10-2016, 11:30 PM.
                              Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

And yet people insisted it was a bad trade for Simmons because Newcomb "can't throw strikes". Sure he can. Everyone's got to command their pitches at the pro level. Even Foltynewicz can do it.
                                of course he can throw strikes but the question is whether he can throw enough to be a starter. He can improve but generally they say to be a starter you can't walk more than about 4 per 9 and newcomb was well above that last year. The top 9 Starters in WAR all averaged less than 2 walks per 9 and there were only 2 above 3.5 in the top30. the highest ranked pitcher with 4 BB/9 is Trevor bauer at 61 (1.8 WAR)

if he can lower that he will be a stud starter and even if he can't he would have a good floor as a power reliever. if you look at relievers there are some good guys around or above 4 walks per 9 (chapman was second in WAR and averaged almost 4.5 walks)
                                Last edited by dominik; 02-11-2016, 01:39 AM.
                                I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X