2000 Hits with the Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Hits with the Braves

AJ just notched his 2000th hit tonight. Who else has gotten his 2000th hit in a Braves uniform. Of course, Henry Aaron, Eddie Mathews, and Chipper Jones. I also seem to recall BJ Surhoff. Maybe, Mcgriff did as well. That's all I am coming up with at the moment.
    "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
    -Casey Stengel

I dunno, maybe Fred Tenney, maybe Dale Murphy, though Murphy faded fast- probably didn't make it.

BJ Surhoff? BJ Surhoff? What?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
      I dunno, maybe Fred Tenney, maybe Dale Murphy, though Murphy faded fast- probably didn't make it.

BJ Surhoff? BJ Surhoff? What?
      Yes, BJ Surhoff got his 2000th hit with Atlanta. In case I was unclear for anyone, I mean actual hit number 2000 in a Braves uniform and not at least 2000 hits with Braves.
      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
      -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by cbenson5 View Post
        Yes, BJ Surhoff got his 2000th hit with Atlanta. In case I was unclear for anyone, I mean actual hit number 2000 in a Braves uniform and not at least 2000 hits with Braves.
        Oh. sorry- misread it. Thought you meant 2000 hits with the Braves.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
          Oh. sorry- misread it. Thought you meant 2000 hits with the Braves.
          No problem, I noticed my initial post was unclear when I reread it. Tenney and Murphy were good guesses. I looked them up, but they both fell just short of hitting their 2000 while with the Braves and got it elsewhere. I did find one more who got his 2000th hit with the Braves. But, I'll let anyone guess if they want before revealing him.
          -Casey Stengel

Comment

Pendleton?
            And as an avid 80's baseball card collector, I'm surprised Murphy didn't make it. Somewhat like Mattingly, he was a few years too early to be part of an eventual "dynasty". (Yes, I used the D word!)

Comment

No, it was Murph's general collapse and lack of 400 homers that kept him out. Hall voters had a chance to use the character clause to put him in, but they're only interested in using it to keep people out.
              46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Gags View Post
                Pendleton?
                And as an avid 80's baseball card collector, I'm surprised Murphy didn't make it. Somewhat like Mattingly, he was a few years too early to be part of an eventual "dynasty". (Yes, I used the D word!)
                Unfortunately, Pendleton finished a little short of 2000. It was a good guess though.
                -Casey Stengel

Comment

I think I'm going to "cheat" and look stuff up :P It's really tough to get the in-betweens.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                    I think I'm going to "cheat" and look stuff up :P It's really tough to get the in-betweens.
                    Looking some more tonight, there are at least two more.
                    -Casey Stengel

Comment

Fred Tenney didn't do it. Herman Long did if you count his American Association hits.

(Answers were here. I'll say them later. :P )
                      Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 04-28-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I think my last guesses would be Joe Torre (I think he played for the braves?), or Horner? Andruw Jones I don't think reached it yet.

Good question. Makes you rack your brain for the "Hall of Very Good"-caliber players. Ted Simmons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                          Fred Tenney didn't do it. Herman Long did if you count his American Association hits.
                          Cool, I had not found Long. But, I just found one more. So there are at least three remaining.
                          -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by Gags View Post
                            I think my last guesses would be Joe Torre (I think he played for the braves?), or Horner? Andruw Jones I don't think reached it yet.

Good question. Makes you rack your brain for the "Hall of Very Good"-caliber players. Ted Simmons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Two more good guesses. I looked up Torre and he got his 2000th with the Cardinals. Simmons got his with the Brewers a couple of years before he came to Atlanta.
                            -Casey Stengel

Comment

I've found four that haven't been said (backing you up here!)

EDIT: In total, including Pierzynski, there are 14 people at my last count.

1. Hank Aaron
                              2. Eddie Mathews
                              3. Chipper Jones
                              4. B. J. Surhoff
                              5. Herman Long
                              6. A. J. Pierzynski

Eight more to go!
                              Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 04-28-2016, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X