No announcement yet.

2000 Hits with the Braves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I would have had a tough time coming up with Joyner for sure if I hadn't done some research. I got Sheffield and Cepeda off the top of my head but they were still basically educated guesses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by my count, there should be three more. They'll be tough but I'll keep trying. This question has been about to drive me insane, but I love it! This is more fun than watching the games this year!

Comment

I think I found another one, a guy I'm not sure that I'd ever even heard of...Stuffy McInnis. And I'm not sure if the old Beaneaters count or not, but if so, wouldn't Billy Hamiliton be one? Same franchise but not in Braves uniform, so probably not. But I'll wait for confirmation of these before I continue.

Comment

Stuffy McInnis is one, good find! I have heard the name, just didn't occur to me that he got 2,000 with the Braves. So that makes... sixteen players now? By the way, Billy Hamilton is absolutely right. I count the Beaneaters because they're the Braves franchise.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Okay, so including McInnis, that's fourteen, so we have two left unnamed, plus anyone we've missed.

Comment

Andres Gallaraga? I thought of him earlier but was thinking somehow that he had eliminated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell Hound View Post
              Andres Gallaraga? I thought of him earlier but was thinking somehow that he had eliminated.
              Yes, he's one. So one more to go from our list.
              "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
              -Casey Stengel

Comment

Another one I should have come up with sooner...Ken Griffey Sr.?

Comment

Just for the record, the Atlanta Braves franchise was founded in 1871 by Ivers Whitney Adams, a Boston businessman. I was writing a history of the franchise years ago, but abandoned the project. They were christened the Red Stockings, but were called the Reds at times. The name Beaneaters seemed to make its way into the papers about 1883. Writers often shortened the name to "Beanies." They became the "Doves" in 1907 when the club was sold to John P. Harris, but controlled by the Dovey Brothers. In December 1910, the team was sold to a syndicate headed by William Russell, and thus the club's name changed unofficially to the Rustlers. Russell died on November 21, 1911. A Tammany Hall "Brave" secured the club next and thus the Brave nomenclature was born. Except for a few years in the late thirties when the club became the Bees, the Brave name has solidified.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell Hound View Post
                    Another one I should have come up with sooner...Ken Griffey Sr.?
                    Ding ding ding ding! And that's all cbenson and I have found!

Comment

Just to wrap things up, I assume only three have gone on to get hit #2500 with the Braves: Henry Aaron, Chipper Jones, and Rabbit Maranville. And of course, Aaron got 3000 in a Braves uniform.
                      "I never saw anyone like Ty Cobb. No one even close to him. He was the greatest all time ballplayer. That guy was superhuman, amazing."
                      -Casey Stengel

Comment

It would be nice if we could see a list of all the players who got their 2000TH hit with the Braves.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRon View Post
                          It would be nice if we could see a list of all the players who got their 2000TH hit with the Braves.
                          This should be it:

Hank Aaron
                          Eddie Mathews
                          Chipper Jones
                          B. J. Surhoff
                          Herman Long
                          Orlando Cepeda
                          Rabbit Maranville
                          Chris Chambliss
                          Gary Sheffield
                          Billy Hamilton
                          Hugh Duffy
                          Ken Griffey, Sr.
                          Wally Joyner
                          Andres Galarraga
                          Stuffy McInnis
                          -Casey Stengel

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
                            Ding ding, that's right! I thought he was one of the harder ones!
                            Who, I didn't even remember that joyner had a Brave stint.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X