2B: Bobby Lowe, Glenn Hubbard
    3B: Eddie Mathews, Chipper Jones
    SS: Herman Long, Johnny Logan
    LF: Wally Berger
    CF: Andruw Jones, Dale Murphy
    RF: Hank Aaron, Tommy Holmes
    SP: Kid Nichols, Warren Spahn, Phil Niekro, Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine
    RP: Rick Camp, Craig Kimbrel, Steve Bedrosian, John Smoltz, Gene Garber

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Braves players were together in their Braves prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would easily be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. All that said 125 wins should be possible.
    Last edited by Sockeye; 11-01-2016, 08:42 AM.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 388 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego

You could have just bumped up your old thread, you know. I'll look at this sometime, though.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Yep, same roster as before. I don't think they'd win 125 games, that's almost impossible. Certainly a good bet for 100 though. One can only hope that Lowe, Tenney and Long are good defenders with gloves and how Kid Nichols would pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
        Yep, same roster as before. I don't think they'd win 125 games, that's almost impossible. Certainly a good bet for 100 though. One can only hope that Lowe, Tenney and Long are good defenders with gloves and how Kid Nichols would pitch.
        I see no reason why Lowe, Tenney, & Long wouldn't be even better defenders with better equipment and field conditions. Nichols dominated during his time. His stuff might be considered more average by 2016 standards. Maddux, Smoltz, Spahn, Niekro with a lineup of Aaron, Mathews, Berger, Torre, A.Jones hitting/defense. Chipper Jones pinch hitting off the bench and an occasional start at 3B/LF. The Cubs won 103 games this year with a far inferior roster.
        Location....San Diego

Comment

I suppose. My concern is how their batting would translate to a modern environment. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept their doubles and contact skills, but they'd sure need to be on their game at all times.

Comment

I suppose. My concern is how their batting would translate to a modern environment. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept their doubles and contact skills, but they'd sure need to be on their game at all times.
            That is a fair concern. Not just due to how long ago they played. How would ANY pre 21ST century player adjust to every RP coming in throwing 97+? That would be a big adjustment for every pre 2000 hitter. Contact rates would certainly go down (SO%+). Even if Long, Lowe, & Tenney's SO rate doubled they would still be considered elite contact hitters by today's standards. Their power numbers would also likely improve.
            Location....San Diego

Comment

The bullpen usage would have to be straight up one-or-more inning outings each. With Remlinger as the only lefty, they can't get cute and go LOOGY on anyone unless they want to bring in Garber or Kimbrel for 1 2/3 frames.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
                C: Joe Torre, Del Crandell
                1B: Fred Tenney, Joe Adcock
                2B: Bobby Lowe, Glenn Hubbard
                3B: Eddie Mathews, Chipper Jones
                SS: Herman Long, Johnny Logan
                LF: Wally Berger
                CF: Andruw Jones, Dale Murphy
                RF: Hank Aaron, Tommy Holmes
                SP: Kid Nichols, Warren Spahn, Phil Niekro, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux
                RP: Rick Camp, Craig Kimbrel, Steve Bedrosian, Gene Garber, Mike Remlinger

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Braves players were together in their Braves prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would easily be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. All that said 125 wins should be possible.
                Leaving off Glavine all together (who was probably better than Smoltz anyway) instead of putting Smoltz in the pen is not how I would do it - to say the least.
                1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
                The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                  Leaving off Glavine all together (who was probably better than Smoltz anyway) instead of putting Smoltz in the pen is not how I would do it - to say the least.
                  Yeah that's what I would have done too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
                    I like that idea! Smoltz didn't come up in the original search because I limited it to pitchers with 80% relief appearances. I made the change. Smoltz gives a nice 1/2 combo with Kimbrel. Opted to drop Garber and keep Remlinger.
                    Location....San Diego

Comment

I don't think the Braves need a left-hander out of the pen at all, really. I say screw WAR ratio for their seasons in this case: put Gene in there instead of Mike. Garber was a real rock out of the pen for the Braves in the 1980s.

Comment

The one thing I remember the most about Garber, beside his submarine delivery, was when he struck out Pete Rose out to end his 44 game hit streak in 1978. The next day, Rose blasted Garber in the press for not challenging him with a fastball in that situation. Garber's response was, "I thought it was my job to get him out." One of my favorite Braves' players of that era when there was not a lot to cheer about, much like the last two seasons.

Comment

Who's to say you'd even need a bullpen with that rotation? Lol
                          Seriously,I would be okay with Smoltz in either role. And I think the best players would adjust to any era.
                          27 World Championships
                          22 retired numbers
                          Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                          Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
                            Who's to say you'd even need a bullpen with that rotation? Lol
                            Seriously,I would be okay with Smoltz in either role. And I think the best players would adjust to any era.
                            Sometimes things happen like last night when the starter is completely ineffective (let's just pretend Foltynewicz is Smoltz for a second) and the bullpen has to go six.

Comment

Sometimes things happen like last night when the starter is completely ineffective (let's just pretend Foltynewicz is Smoltz for a second) and the bullpen has to go six.
                              Of course I realize even the best have off days. Heck, Gibson lost 9 games in 68 despite the incredible ERA. My comment was in jest
                              27 World Championships
                              22 retired numbers
                              Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
                              Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X