Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Yeah I get it. I forget who it was that brought it up in current events,but at this point we may be able to replace Tenney with Freeman. Freeman and Adcock is one scary platoon.

Leave a comment:

• dwj21792
    replied
    Originally posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post

Sometimes things happen like last night when the starter is completely ineffective (let's just pretend Foltynewicz is Smoltz for a second) and the bullpen has to go six.
    Of course I realize even the best have off days. Heck, Gibson lost 9 games in 68 despite the incredible ERA. My comment was in jest

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by dwj21792 View Post
    Who's to say you'd even need a bullpen with that rotation? Lol
    Seriously,I would be okay with Smoltz in either role. And I think the best players would adjust to any era.
    Sometimes things happen like last night when the starter is completely ineffective (let's just pretend Foltynewicz is Smoltz for a second) and the bullpen has to go six.

Leave a comment:

• dwj21792
    replied
    Who's to say you'd even need a bullpen with that rotation? Lol
    Seriously,I would be okay with Smoltz in either role. And I think the best players would adjust to any era.

Leave a comment:

• Hell Hound
    replied
    The one thing I remember the most about Garber, beside his submarine delivery, was when he struck out Pete Rose out to end his 44 game hit streak in 1978. The next day, Rose blasted Garber in the press for not challenging him with a fastball in that situation. Garber's response was, "I thought it was my job to get him out." One of my favorite Braves' players of that era when there was not a lot to cheer about, much like the last two seasons.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    I don't think the Braves need a left-hander out of the pen at all, really. I say screw WAR ratio for their seasons in this case: put Gene in there instead of Mike. Garber was a real rock out of the pen for the Braves in the 1980s.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Leaving off Glavine all together (who was probably better than Smoltz anyway) instead of putting Smoltz in the pen is not how I would do it - to say the least.
    I like that idea! Smoltz didn't come up in the original search because I limited it to pitchers with 80% relief appearances. I made the change. Smoltz gives a nice 1/2 combo with Kimbrel. Opted to drop Garber and keep Remlinger.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    Leaving off Glavine all together (who was probably better than Smoltz anyway) instead of putting Smoltz in the pen is not how I would do it - to say the least.
    Yeah that's what I would have done too.

Leave a comment:

• Bothrops Atrox
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Joe Torre, Del Crandell
    1B: Fred Tenney, Joe Adcock
    2B: Bobby Lowe, Glenn Hubbard
    3B: Eddie Mathews, Chipper Jones
    SS: Herman Long, Johnny Logan
    LF: Wally Berger
    CF: Andruw Jones, Dale Murphy
    RF: Hank Aaron, Tommy Holmes
    SP: Kid Nichols, Warren Spahn, Phil Niekro, John Smoltz, Greg Maddux
    RP: Rick Camp, Craig Kimbrel, Steve Bedrosian, Gene Garber, Mike Remlinger

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Braves players were together in their Braves prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would easily be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. All that said 125 wins should be possible.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    The bullpen usage would have to be straight up one-or-more inning outings each. With Remlinger as the only lefty, they can't get cute and go LOOGY on anyone unless they want to bring in Garber or Kimbrel for 1 2/3 frames.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    I suppose. My concern is how their batting would translate to a modern environment. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept their doubles and contact skills, but they'd sure need to be on their game at all times.
    That is a fair concern. Not just due to how long ago they played. How would ANY pre 21ST century player adjust to every RP coming in throwing 97+? That would be a big adjustment for every pre 2000 hitter. Contact rates would certainly go down (SO%+). Even if Long, Lowe, & Tenney's SO rate doubled they would still be considered elite contact hitters by today's standards. Their power numbers would also likely improve.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    I suppose. My concern is how their batting would translate to a modern environment. It wouldn't be so bad if they kept their doubles and contact skills, but they'd sure need to be on their game at all times.

Leave a comment:

• Sockeye
    replied
    Yep, same roster as before. I don't think they'd win 125 games, that's almost impossible. Certainly a good bet for 100 though. One can only hope that Lowe, Tenney and Long are good defenders with gloves and how Kid Nichols would pitch.
    I see no reason why Lowe, Tenney, & Long wouldn't be even better defenders with better equipment and field conditions. Nichols dominated during his time. His stuff might be considered more average by 2016 standards. Maddux, Smoltz, Spahn, Niekro with a lineup of Aaron, Mathews, Berger, Torre, A.Jones hitting/defense. Chipper Jones pinch hitting off the bench and an occasional start at 3B/LF. The Cubs won 103 games this year with a far inferior roster.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    Yep, same roster as before. I don't think they'd win 125 games, that's almost impossible. Certainly a good bet for 100 though. One can only hope that Lowe, Tenney and Long are good defenders with gloves and how Kid Nichols would pitch.

Leave a comment:

• SamtheBravesFan
    replied
    You could have just bumped up your old thread, you know. I'll look at this sometime, though.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X