No announcement yet.

Danger of braves going all in too soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danger of braves going all in too soon?

A lot of writers at FG are warning about this. they say basically the Teams strength is closer to the first half than to the second half and it would be better to take it slow and let the Young guys develope rather than trying to make a push.

however the new park and the good finish last year might make the FO to be more aggressive than that. there even was talk about trading for sale. I think that would be a mistake. sale would cost 4-5 top prospects and even with him the braves might win 5 more but they likely don't make the PS either.

I think the FA acquisitions were not bad and if everything goes well the braves could be a 78-80 win Team but I would Keep all the prospects and not make a push to compete for 2017. now go all the way with the rebuild like the astros and cubs did.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

There is little to no danger of it. Arguably the stupidest thing Coppolella has done was trade Simmons but circumstances after that nulled out the decision. The popular rumor right now is that they're going all in to get Sale. It's gotten to the point where the AJC beat writer got mad because he says he was misquoted in order to push this narrative. It's something to write and talk about during the hot stove season.

EVERYBODY knows it's a stupid idea. If it's that evident to even the most casual baseball fan, I guarantee that Coppolella knows it. If they are talking about Sale, I have to believe the Braves are trying to talk the White Sox down to their price. Since that's not going to happen, they'll eventually give up and move on to Archer or Gray, whom they can more possibly get at their asking price.

EDIT: To be fair, I also believe there is a degree of delusion that they think the second half of last season is their true talent level. However, I don't think the delusion is so strong as to consider blowing up the farm right now, especially since the value of their most advanced prospects have dropped slightly.
    Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 11-22-2016, 11:46 AM.
    46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

I also think that coppy is actually pretty smart and knows where his Team stands.

it probably is also just some talk to boost ticket sales. the smart Thing would be to "fake" competitiveness (some minor acquisitions of washed up former stars) in 2017 to sell some tickets but Keep the core of the farm.

BTW I wouldn't go for gray and archer either. they will be cheaper after a down year but still cost at least 3 solid top100 prospects (including one top30). that is too much for my liking at the current stage of the braves.
      I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Right. It's self-evident that you don't go all-in to get Sale (or Gray or Archer) when your offense is so precariously balanced on everyone doing their job. If even just one person fails, the offense is such that it would tailspin to first-half 2016 levels.
        46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X