Braves acquire Jaime Garcia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braves acquire Jaime Garcia

Braves acquire lefty Jaime Garcia from the Cardinals in exchange for minor league infielder Luke Dykstra and young right-handers John Gant and Chris Ellis.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...ia-braves.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Hmm... Not sure how I feel about this one yet. We deal two pitchers with limited upside in Gant and Ellis as well as Dykstra, who looks to be the next Chase D'Arnaud. Although we didn't give up too much, I'm not sure that we needed an incredibly injury-prone lefty who is in the final year of his deal. He has shown flashes of being a very good pitcher, but he is coming off of a 4.67 ERA, 4.49 FIP campaign. It's hard to believe that he's only 30... Maybe he will be solid trade bait for a competitive team desperate for an arm by mid-season.

Here's what Atlanta's rotation is looking like now:
    1. Julio Teheran
    2. Bartolo Colon
    3. Jaime Garcia
    4. RA Dickey
    5. Wisler/Folty/Blair/Collmenter/Jenkins

Not really sure why we acquired someone when we had so many guys competing for the 4/5 spots. Although the 2-4 pitchers arms' could fall off at any moment. Gwinnett's rotation is going to be a force this year.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

I'm perfectly okay with this. After what happened last year, starting pitching depth is exactly what they need. I won't lose any sleep over trading those three. If they have some nice careers, good for them. With the couple of veterans here for one or two seasons, it's clear to me the brass is still hoping Blair or Wisler can put it together.
      46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Garcia had lots of bat BABIP luck last year with a very poor range defense behind him. He is a fine middle-rotation guy still.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

Braves aren't super good in that department either with Garcia and (hopefully not) Peterson to start.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
            Garcia had lots of bat BABIP luck last year with a very poor range defense behind him. He is a fine middle-rotation guy still.
            which is probably OK for the braves.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X