Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a weird way....

I am happy the Braves are struggling.

I think we all knew the streak would eventually come to an end and with the way they have spent money recently and the reliance on young, inexperienced players I figured it would would soon. While I would love to see the streak continue I can not say the struggles are a surprise, but that is not why I am happy to see it. The Braves, like other successful franchises, have become popular in the last 15 years and a large population of the fans are fair weather fans that have already begun to jump ship. As someone that has been a fan since the early to mid 80's and suffered through the down years I have become increasingly sick of the way other fans respond to me when they learn I am a Braves fan. The number one response is "Since when, '91?" or some variation thereof. I remember the days when it was easy to get a ticket to a Braves game because nobody cared about the team. I remember cheering players like Bob Horner, Phil Neikro, Rafeal Ramirez, Glenn Hubbard, Bruce Benedict, Rick Mahler, Zane Smith and Ozzie Virgil. Besides Dale Murphy, these were the players of the 80's, the face of the Braves. Because I can remember cheering for those guys (specifically imagining being Bob Horner, Ozzie Virgil, or Dale Murphy) it hurts when someone looks at me and treats me as a Johnny come lately fan. So why does it make me happy to see the Braves Struggle? Because I view it as a fan purging. I am sure there have been some great Braves Fans born from the success the club has had, but now we get to find out who those fans are. There is nothing like watching your team struggle to test the mettle of the fans.

To all you true Braves fans, hold strong and enjoy watching the developement of the young players, with the minor league system the organization has in place and the talent they have on the ML roster and in the front office the down times should not last nearly as long as it did in the 80's.
    Last edited by jpenrod; 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM.
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Uggghh!!!!! What next, you are going for New York???
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Comment

Originally posted by HankAaron86
      Uggghh!!!!! What next, you are going for New York???
      Not going for New York, and Not saying I am rooting for the Braves to play badly. I think every team needs to have a spell that success is hard to come by, and for the Braves it has been a while. I guess I am looking for a silver lining on this dark cloud, and this is what I came up with. Obviously you disagree with my opinion.
      Last edited by jpenrod; 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM.
      I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

I understand what you are trying to say. But you are not a TRUE Braves fan.

Comment

kid I have been cheering for the Braves more than twice as long as you have been alive, so do not come up in here and say I am not a true Braves fan. It is easy to cheer for the team when all you have ever known is success. I am going to try and keep this from getting personal, but as far as I am concerned you have no right to say ANYTHING to me about whether or not I am a true fan.
          Last edited by jpenrod; 06-30-2006, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Funny, but I was a HUGE Braves fan growing up (in the late 80's- that was a tough thing to be in Detroit.. lol) but strangely enough this slide that they're in has made me a bit nostalgic about them, and I'm really finding myself following them more and more... As a kid you always say stupid things when your favourite player gets traded away (#3) and a LEGION of fans suddenly appear (present company clearly excepted, I know all of you guys are quite die-hard) when they start winning, but one of those things came true recently... "I'll be a Braves fan again when they're back in last place". So I think I know what you mean. It's hard to appreciate success without feeling some failure.

I know that much of this sounds sarcastic, but please know that it really isn't.. and to prove my former Braves fandom I would be more than happy to show you some of the magazines and cards I still have from 1988-90.
            "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

since 57

Been a Braves fan since they won in 1957. I was nine years old so it was popular to root for the winner. Stayed with them ever since. Been good times and bad times, as most franchises go through. (except the Cubs, hooray). Tough to be a Braves fan here in Iowa (eastern Iowa especially with all these Cubs and Cardinal fans around here). Last fifteen years have been great (wish there were a few more few World Series wins). As I said in an earlier post, maybe this is the year we go two steps back to go that one step ahead. Young players will go through this. Hang in there everybody!!! GO BRAVES !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 41-44-VB
                Been a Braves fan since they won in 1957. I was nine years old so it was popular to root for the winner. Stayed with them ever since. Been good times and bad times, as most franchises go through. (except the Cubs, hooray). Tough to be a Braves fan here in Iowa (eastern Iowa especially with all these Cubs and Cardinal fans around here). Last fifteen years have been great (wish there were a few more few World Series wins). As I said in an earlier post, maybe this is the year we go two steps back to go that one step ahead. Young players will go through this. Hang in there everybody!!! GO BRAVES !!!!!
                I agree completely and I want to make it perfectly clear I am not giving up, jumping ship or in any other way abandoning the team (why would I do that now after all of the dismal years in the 80's). My original post was more directed to the "fans" the Braves have gathered in the last 15 years (not directed toward anyone on this board necessarily). 41-44 you became a Brave in the good times in Mil and have remained with the team through good and bad, and I am sure there are plenty of fans that have been born from this run that will do the same, unfortunately I believe there is a larger number that are simply there to support the team because it is fashionable (or has been). As I have said (at least I think I have), my wish/dream/prayer is for the streak to never end, but the reality of all sports is that one day it will end. One of the siver linings on the cloud (to me at least) is that those "fans" that are just there to be there will jump ship leaving only us true fans and I will not have to put up with stupid statements like "You only like them because the are good" or "you are not a TRUE fan." I believe that if this is the year the Braves stumble they will catch themselve quickly and get back in the race ( they have built a great organization from top to bottom in the last 20 years).
                Last edited by jpenrod; 06-30-2006, 07:35 AM.

Comment

interesting...

I was talking in the cubs forum today with someone, who says the Braves (this year) are a joke... I said, funny how quick some people turn...

I mean, how much does one team have to win before they get a "free pass" on an off season...

I did not expect it to happen this year... not like this, but I applaud you for what you said at the start of this thread... Give it a year and the team will be hungry yet again to start another streak....

On a somewhat different topic... how many more years does Cox have on his contract? could he be near retiring?
                  BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
                    I will not have to put up with stupid statements like "You only like them because the are good"
                    The #1 perk of being a Cubs fan:
                    I never have to deal with that!
                    BELIEVE

Comment

Sorry.. Don't be so mad at me .

Comment

Sorry.. Don't be so mad at me .
                        I don't think anyone is "mad" I just think this statement:

was a bit uncalled for. calling someone "not a true fan" because they are still backing a team, even when they dont win... just is nonsense.
                        BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
                          interesting...

I was talking in the cubs forum today with someone, who says the Braves (this year) are a joke... I said, funny how quick some people turn...

I mean, how much does one team have to win before they get a "free pass" on an off season...

I did not expect it to happen this year... not like this, but I applaud you for what you said at the start of this thread... Give it a year and the team will be hungry yet again to start another streak....

On a somewhat different topic... how many more years does Cox have on his contract? could he be near retiring?
                          Yeah, and those are the people I am talking about. It is ridiculous to turn on a team you have supported for this many years just because they have a bad year (I have been through bad years with the Braves before). As for Cox, he has a one year contract, always does. I have wondered for quite a while if he will retire when the Braves fall (not faulting him) he is getting up in age and no one would blame him for retiring anytime he damn well pleases, but I think he will come back for next year at least. I am sure he has not given up on this season, but when the Braves do eventually miss the playoffs I think he will come back in hopes of turning them back to their winning ways. I suspect it will take two or three bad years and he will gracefully step down on his own terms.

Comment

I'll never stop being a Braves fan because of some season like this. When I was 8, and I noticed baseball for the first time when I moved back to Georgia in 1991 and saw the Braves, I was hooked. One of my first caps was a Braves cap. The other was an Astros cap because I just loved how it looked. I still do.

So yes, I'm lucky that I didn't see the losing, and unlucky in that at first, I found the losing very hard to swallow. Slowly, I began to accept it and by now, I just shrug it off.

I did a little research, someone tell me if I'm wrong, but the worst Braves month was in May 1935: 4-20 (.166)

The Braves, at 3-19, have to win 2 of their next 5 in order to finish with a higher winning percentage than .166 (5-22, .185). At least we can be assured that the Braves will never play this badly in a month for 70 years.
                            Last edited by SamtheBravesFan; 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM.
                            46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod

To all you true Braves fans, hold strong and enjoy watching the developement of the young players, with the minor league system the organization has in place and the talent they have on the ML roster and in the front office the down times should not last nearly as long as it did in the 80's.
                              I plan to stay strong about the team. I've been in ardent Brave fan since 1956, then the Milwaukee Braves.
                              Last edited by SABR Steve; 06-26-2006, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X