In a weird way....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SABR Steve
    I plan to stay strong about the team. I've been in ardent Brave fan since 1956, then the Milwaukee Braves.
    So I am curious, are you from the Mil. area? were you happy when baseball came back to MIL. Do you cheer for the Brew crew?
    I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

McCann

Glad to see the diehards not giving up.

There are some good things going on with the Braves, here's one of them...

http://www.bravesoxtalk.com/85_Stats.html

Comment

Originally posted by jpenrod
        "You only like them because the are good"
        The next time I hear this one somebody's getting punched in the cajones... I too cheered for Dale Murphy, Glenn Hubbard, boB Horner, Zane Smith, Ken Oberkfell, Ozzie Virgil, and the late Rick Mahler. I even remember Jeff Dedmon, Ed Olwine, Albert Hall, Terry Blocker, John Mizerock, Rusty Richards, Robbie Wine Jr, and Juan Eichelberger. In 1988 when the Braves were losing 106 games, I still proudly wore my Braves hat to school, and got in several fights with people who made fun of me for it. I've been wanting to purge fair weather fans for years too, j, and I thank you for voicing what is also my opinion.

pyro

Comment

Originally posted by the pyromaniac
          The next time I hear this one somebody's getting punched in the cajones... I too cheered for Dale Murphy, Glenn Hubbard, boB Horner, Zane Smith, Ken Oberkfell, Ozzie Virgil, and the late Rick Mahler. I even remember Jeff Dedmon, Ed Olwine, Albert Hall, Terry Blocker, John Mizerock, Rusty Richards, Robbie Wine Jr, and Juan Eichelberger. In 1988 when the Braves were losing 106 games, I still proudly wore my Braves hat to school, and got in several fights with people who made fun of me for it. I've been wanting to purge fair weather fans for years too, j, and I thank you for voicing what is also my opinion.

pyro
          I agree that fair-weather fans would be chased off by the Braves' losing. Which is all right. I just wonder if it is those same people that call for the firing of Schuerholz and Cox.
          46 wins to match last year's total

Comment

Yep

jpenrod, fellow Tech grad? Class of 02' here.

I have never been told "since 91?" when I tell people I'm a Braves fan, but I usually get lots of guff concerning how they fall apart in the playoffs.

I too have been a Braves fan since the early 80's, and I remember the nostalgia of that team.

"Now batting atting atting ting ting ting.... Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Benedict!" Yep, outside of Murphy, we didn't have much to cheer about. I still remember when Chief Knockahoma had a TeePee at AFC Stadium. I remember when they had to mute the games on TBS because the hecklers were cursing and their curse-laden banter were being broadcasted inadvertently.

But enough going down memory lane. Simply put, I was born and raised in Atlanta, so I cheer for Atlanta in any sport. I loved the Braves when they stunk. I loved them through the streak, and I love them now.

However, there are plenty of fair-weather fans. I have to say that a lot of that has to do with Atlanta being a migrant city. So many people moved here for great job opportunities, a more cost-efficient lifestyle, beautiful weather, and so forth. If the Braves are losing, they don't care: they can root for their hometeam.

I still remember in 1996 seeing so many Yankees caps on after they won the world series. I wasn't pleased with that.
            1914 Boston Braves
            July 5th: 15 games back.
            October 13th: World Series Champs
            (Anything is possible)
            GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Click Here (It's all you need to get fired up about the Braves).

Comment

Originally posted by Tomahawk Dynasty
              jpenrod, fellow Tech grad? Class of 02' here.

I have never been told "since 91?" when I tell people I'm a Braves fan, but I usually get lots of guff concerning how they fall apart in the playoffs.

I too have been a Braves fan since the early 80's, and I remember the nostalgia of that team.

"Now batting atting atting ting ting ting.... Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce Benedict!" Yep, outside of Murphy, we didn't have much to cheer about. I still remember when Chief Knockahoma had a TeePee at AFC Stadium. I remember when they had to mute the games on TBS because the hecklers were cursing and their curse-laden banter were being broadcasted inadvertently.

But enough going down memory lane. Simply put, I was born and raised in Atlanta, so I cheer for Atlanta in any sport. I loved the Braves when they stunk. I loved them through the streak, and I love them now.

However, there are plenty of fair-weather fans. I have to say that a lot of that has to do with Atlanta being a migrant city. So many people moved here for great job opportunities, a more cost-efficient lifestyle, beautiful weather, and so forth. If the Braves are losing, they don't care: they can root for their hometeam.

I still remember in 1996 seeing so many Yankees caps on after they won the world series. I wasn't pleased with that.
              Yep, I graduate in '99 BSCE.

I guess I have not gotten the "since '91?" thing as much recently, but there still seems to be this response from people when thy learn that I am a Braves fan that I am a recent fan or something. Just extrememly frustrating. As far as the comments about the dissappoint ment thing I laugh at them. let me break it down this way:

1991, worst to first, hardly dissappointing
              1992, lost in the WS to a great team, heartbreaking yes dissappointing ...???
              1993, well that whole post season stunk
              1995 WORLD CHAMPS
              1996, lost to the evil empire after being up 2-0, Very Dissappointing
              1997, knocked out by the Marlins who won it all. I was most dissappointed by this one because of the players attitudes as they lost.
              1998 knocked out by the Padres who went on to the WS
              1999, lost to the evil empire....again
              2000, knocked out by a Cards team we were not suppose to beat.
              2001, knocked out by Arizona who won it all
              2002, knocked out by the Giants who went on to the WS.
              Since 2003 just making the playoffs exceeded expectations.

Bottom line except for a couple of year we got beat by either a better team or a hot team, those are things you can not control. The two that frustrate me the most are 1996 and 1997. Hey being a Tech grad I KNOW about teams not living up to expectations.

I agree with you about the whole transient city thing, but I still there are a lot of native fans that will bee turning their backs on the Braves too, I mean where were they in the 80's. That being said, I am not pulling for the team to do badly, just looking for a silver lining you might say.

I like the sig line.
              I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn't have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.~Bob Uecker

"While he had a total of forty home runs in his first two big-league seasons, it is unlikely that Aaron will break any records in this department." ~ Furman Bisher, Atlanta Journal and Constitution "journalist"

Comment

Oh, the 1991 series. I was at game 5: the game where they crushed the twins at AFC. We made a banner that said "No More Wins for the Twins." The popular banner was "3 at home 1 in the dome."

That had to be the most painful of all, because it was such a close series. The best Series ever in my opinion.

I still cringe when I think back to "Cox is putting in Charlie Liebrandt to face Puckett here in the 10th." I was 15, but I knew that wasn't good.
                1914 Boston Braves
                (Anything is possible)
                GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by the pyromaniac

pyro
                  Am I the only one that feels old after reading this post???? It's amazing how many of those guys I forgot about (Olwine & Blocker specifically).. Actually, last year at FanFest I almost asked Billy Sample what his chances for Murphy's HOF induction were.
                  "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

Originally posted by tmorss9
                    Am I the only one that feels old after reading this post???? It's amazing how many of those guys I forgot about (Olwine & Blocker specifically).. Actually, last year at FanFest I almost asked Billy Sample what his chances for Murphy's HOF induction were.
                    I already knew I was old, seeing these names just confirms it.

Comment

i must say that with all these comments that will always be a braves fan- always. i will love this team untill i die, and everyine in my family has ben a braves fan back to both my grandfathers. that being said i'm 16. during m,y lifespan, there has been ONE, yes ONE year of losing baseball. and it does mess with my head a bit. i mean think about it. the fondation of my baseball work is sort of upside-down. so igf you here people saying things that might not make much sense, you should probably take young guys perspective a little bit. they're not fair-weather fans, they're just fans who happened to come along at the right time. as far as jpenrod, it's never good to see this team struggle, but if you had to pick a situation to do it, this eould be it; with a good foundation of young players and a rich minor league system.
                      Stay Away From Downed Power Lines.

Comment

Tarheel, we can't fault you becasue you weren't even alive back in the '80's. It's a lot like where I live, there is an entire new generation who have no idea that the Detroit Red Wings were once the worst team in hockey.
                        "Straight ball I hit it very much, curveball, bats are afraid"

Comment

Originally posted by tmorss9
                          Tarheel, we can't fault you becasue you weren't even alive back in the '80's. It's a lot like where I live, there is an entire new generation who have no idea that the Detroit Red Wings were once the worst team in hockey.
                          I would like to add to that, that in no way did I say that all young fans are not real fans. In fact I believe that I stated that I know there are some true fans that have been born out of this success. a perfect example is that my nephew has never known a bad Braves team. I know they way he feels about the team and I believe he will remain a fan for life. I have often thought how cool it is that no other team has won the division in his lifetime.

Comment

Hey guys. I see there's some heated discussion. That's okay. That's more than okay, it's great.

I think our slump certainly gave a self-inflicted kick in the rump to the Braves. I expect big things from them in the 2nd half.

I think we're all just a bit on edge because it's been 3 days since we saw a Braves game! I don't know about ya'll, but I'm getting the shakes! J/K

Go Braves!
                            1914 Boston Braves
                            (Anything is possible)
                            GO BRAVES!!!!!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X