I'll tell you something right now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll tell you something right now...

The worst is over for the Cubs. Much has been made about how little one man means to a baseball team with a 25 man roster. However there are some players who mean 3 or 4 times the value of other players. Having Derrik Lee back, and swinging well, will get the Cubs over the hump. Dont get me wrong, they are still a 2nd tier team, but I see a different group out there the last 3 games and I predict they will play close to 500 for the rest of the year.

The Cubs are thru this year, but they can still play good baseball and salvage something while setting up a different group for next year. Course with the vampires up with one out, down by 5, bases loaded in the 9'th, they still have to get past the Sox tonight.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Pagan looks like he could be a very valuable bench player for the Cubs. 2 home runs today. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by otis89
      Pagan looks like he could be a very valuable bench player for the Cubs. 2 home runs today. Wow.
      If Nevin doesn't show consistency, murton and him can grab some bench and let angel play.

Comment

Murton and Pagan both showed that they deserve playing time today. Murton went 2-4.

Comment

Originally posted by otis89
          Murton and Pagan both showed that they deserve playing time today. Murton went 2-4.
          well pagan was hurt until friday, as for murton, he needs to start hitting before he can get in the lineup on an everyday basis. especially against righthanded hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
            well pagan was hurt until friday, as for murton, he needs to start hitting before he can get in the lineup on an everyday basis. especially against righthanded hitters.
            While I agree he really needs to pick it up against rightys, with this season already down the tubes, there's no reason that he shouldn't get as many AB's against rightys as possible.

That way, either he starts to hit rightys better, or the front office would know they need to get someone to platoon with him next season.

Playing Nevin in LF does nothing other than fill a spot in a lineup card, and there's almost zero chance he is a Cub next year.
            Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

I make my predictions based on the team Ive seen out in the field the last three games, with Lee back. The first game against the Sox was a lot closer then the score indicated, the 2nd game came down to one pitch, the 3'rd game the Cubs came out with fire in their eyes and salvaged their pride. Frankly I see a different bunch on the field now, but we'll have to see if they maintain an emotional edge or if it was all Cubs/Sox rivalry. Heck even Neifi hit a HR.

In the end it will be their pitching that will prevent them from making a move of any kind. This is why I bet against them last March. That even with an intact team they wouldn't make the playoffs, "course I knew the team wouldn't be intact". I'll add I didn't predict this meltdown.

They will play better now, probably .500 level after the break. Derrik's swing looks as dangerous as ever and Ramirez appears to be playing looser now that no-one expects him to step up and earn his 11 m a year as a leader. I dont know about Prior....but who does? It would be nice to see the youngsters get to pitch their innings and to see the young outfielders be allowed to develop more.

I'll add this all depends on a short-sighted Hendry not eviscerating the team with the intent on building for the future, which I dont think he'll do. He wont do anything that might hurt the box office and building for the future isn't really his concern.
              Last edited by Whitesoxnut; 07-03-2006, 10:08 AM.
              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Its strange how the Cubs keep finding ways to lose. The good news today was that Prior looked real strong, "indeed thats the best possible news they could get". More good news is that D. lee is getting his swing back, "3 hits today", again very good news. Even more good news is that Pierre has his average up to .270 and his OBP up to .317, "3 hits again today, hes looking real strong lately".

The bad news of course is they lost 7-2 even tho they out hit Houston 10 to 8. This team is .366% up till now with a 30-53 record. Regardless of the injuries this is not a roster that should have lost 53 games by 4 Jul. More and more the blame is pointing to management and ownership, most of all the gang of three, "McPhail, Hendry, Baker", along with the shady conglomerate holding the strings they are dancing to. Baker has to go. Its that simple.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X