More Prior woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Prior woes

The talk is about The Cubs sending Prior to the shoulder Doc for renewed problems,and, he might be finished for the year. An unfortunate chain of events for a young guy who had some great stuff.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

I don't care if their is an injury or not. The Cubs should shut Prior down for the year much like they did in 2002, and take no chances. Call up Guzman, Ryu and everyone else able on the 40 man.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
      I don't care if their is an injury or not. The Cubs should shut Prior down for the year much like they did in 2002, and take no chances. Call up Guzman, Ryu and everyone else able on the 40 man.
      Agreed, Ive been saying it for months, "let the kids pitch". Hill has thrown a few bad games but still, Ive seen some good stuff coming out of him. Marmol too, Marshall too, Guzman too. All 4 are going to pitch in the bigs. This is a fine few months to get innings out of them and let them grow, thus setting the Cubs up for a rebuilding and rebound in the next few years.

Ive also said for a long time now its time to end the Prior/Wood fantasy baseball careers at Wrigley.
      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento

I agree 100%. At this point we have nothing to lose, but can gain alot in experience, in letting our young pitchers compete at the Major League level.

Comment

This certainly looks like a cascade injury. Shur him down, let him rest, and then start him out in AA next year.
          Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
            This certainly looks like a cascade injury. Shur him down, let him rest, and then start him out in AA next year.
            I agree with shutting him down, but AA? Why would he start there? Assuming he stops pitching, rests and heals, I would hope/assume that he is ready for Spring Training next March. If he's still in pain when he pitches then the staff can go from there, but why start him there. In an ideal world, he comes back, is pain free and regain his 2003 form with the major league team.

Comment

No, not AA. If he's fine health-wise, you would have him in spring training camp and start him in the majors.

Comment

Prior - Not Gonna Make It Back

Sorry, but I watched him pitch for Low-A Peoria, and a one-game rehab game turned into a multiple game rehab stint with the Chiefs. In June, I watched a Kane County Cougar skyrocket a ball onto the sidewalk. Maybe some time in West Tennessee and Peoria will get him ready for the Iowa Cubs. Unfortunately, I think we have seen the best of Mark Prior and his pitching career.
                GO CUBS GO!

Comment

Don't hold your breath for a return of the "2003 model" of Mark Prior, his days have come and gone.
                  GO CUBS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkcat
                    Don't hold your breath for a return of the "2003 model" of Mark Prior, his days have come and gone.
                    And your basing this on....what just your opinion?

Prior will be 27 in a few weeks, much too early to give up on him. In 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 he was great in his starts. The statistical evidence backs it up. 2006 is an abberhation, not once this season was he near 100%. That's why sitting him out for the rest of this season is the best thing for this organization and for Mark Prior.

Let's play what season does NOT belong:

Year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
                    2002 CHC 19 19 6 6 0 1 0 116.2 98 45 43 14 38 147 3.32 1.17 .226
                    2003 CHC 30 30 18 6 0 3 1 211.1 183 67 57 15 50 245 2.43 1.10 .231
                    2004 CHC 21 21 6 4 0 0 0 118.2 112 53 53 14 48 139 4.02 1.35 .251
                    2005 CHC 27 27 11 7 0 1 0 166.2 143 73 68 25 59 188 3.67 1.21 .227
                    2006 CHC 9 9 1 6 0 0 0 43.2 46 39 35 9 28 38 7.21 1.69 .269

Hmm...tough one.
                    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                    Line Drive: .356
                    HBP: .342
                    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                    Intentional Walk: .176
                    Outfield Fly: .035
                    Groundball: -.101
                    Bunts: -.103
                    Infield Fly: -.243
                    Strikeout: -.287
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

He should be finished for his career. I don't think the bum should make another single dollar for playing baseball ever again.
                      2016 World Series Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerin Hank
                        He should be finished for his career. I don't think the bum should make another single dollar for playing baseball ever again.
                        With statements like this, it's no wonder Cubs fans have replaced Phillie fans as the worst in baseball.
                        Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

That is being more then just slightly sarcastic, that is being absurd.

Comment

Let's play what season does NOT belong:

Year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
                            2002 CHC 19 19 6 6 0 1 0 116.2 98 45 43 14 38 147 3.32 1.17 .226
                            2003 CHC 30 30 18 6 0 3 211.1 183 67 57 15 50 245 2.43 1.10 .231
                            2004 CHC 21 21 6 4 0 0 0 118.2 112 53 53 14 48 139 4.02 1.35 .251
                            2005 CHC 27 27 11 7 0 1 0 166.2 143 73 68 25 59 188 3.67 1.21 .227
                            2006 CHC 9 9 1 6 0 0 0 43.2 46 39 35 9 28 38 7.21 1.69 .269
                            The real, and only important, stat in this for Cub fans concerned about the future is that Prior only once pitched 200 innings in a season. And he was only "great" in his starts for that one year and that being 2003. The truth is there have always been rumors flying about the health of his arm, speculations that have nothing to do with line drives to the elbow or collisions on the field. I listened to the radio the other day and a poll reflected that 75% of Cubs fans wanted Prior gone. You can only bet a losing horse for so long and if any of you are feeling "bad" for Mark Prior then the next time you are toiling at your day job remember the millions Mark has made sitting on his rump waiting for another injury to heal.

On the southside there are starting pitching issues as well. Frankly when 3 of the Sox starters are throwing I get a feeling of impending doom. When Garcia was throwing those waste high ducks last night I was cringing. But I guess the important thing is that all five of them are still standing and the Sox are still in the playoff race. Thats a lot more then can be said then for the Cubs, Kerry Wood, or Mark Prior. I myself have already lost the "glow" from a world series and dont understand a Cub fan still "glowing" over an 88 win 2003 season and "almost winning" a pennant.

I had a guy want to bet me yesterday that the Cubs would make the playoffs in '07 and I told him I wanted to wait and see what they did with Prior and Wood first. I made a lot in '06 betting against the Cubs making the playoffs because I knew neither would make much of a contribution and if the Cubs retain them then I'll make a lot in '07.

Ive seen enough lousy Cubs and Sox teams to know a bad bet when I see one. And a bad horse!

Comment

Anybody could make money betting against a team making the playoffs, that isn't a sign of skill. The NL has 16 teams and only 4 get to go. That is 25%, and since most people don't give odds when making these kind of bets you would have to be a complete fool not to make money betting against a team making the playoffs. Secondly you would be a complete fool to bet on someone making the playoffs and not getting odds as well. If you found a fan of each team in the NL to bet with even up on not making the playoffs you would be up 8 units no matter who ends up making the playoffs.

Anyway 75% of the fans may want him gone, which to me is stupid anyway. He isn't a free agent and he isn't making 10 million dollars. There is no point and no value to be gain by making him gone at this point. But anyway back to the poll, those same 75% would quickly reverse their opinion after several decent starts on his part and then it becomes sign him to a long term contrat. We can't let him get away like Maddux did.

It is common with fans, when you are down you get kicked, when you are up you get carried on shoulders.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X