No announcement yet.

More Prior woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secondly you would be a complete fool to bet on someone making the playoffs and not getting odds as well.
    Yes, I agree, um....these were Cub fans I bet. Later in the season, like now, its becoming more and more clear who is, and isn't, going to be in the layoffs. But yeah, before the season, other then betting against the Cubs?, or in past years the Sox, is pretty stupid. Ive made a lot of money betting against the Bears thru the years as well. Chicago fans, by and large, are dreamers. The Cubs, Sox, Bears, BlackHawks, Bulls before/after Jordan, have pretty much consistently sucked thru the years but there are still plenty of those who will still bet them brainlessly.

But anyway back to the poll, those same 75% would quickly reverse their opinion after several decent starts on his part and then it becomes sign him to a long term contrat.
    I agree. After that sweep of the Cards there were plenty starting to talk wild card again. Like Ive said CHGO fans are both fickle and dreamers.

We can't let him get away like Maddux did.
    That was sheer stupidity and cheapness. Especially since Maddux was always in good health and had five years of 250 inning a year level starts, 15 to 20 wins, when the Cubs failed to re-sign him. Prior on the other hand is a health disaster. There is no comparison. Maddix is enroute to throw his 19'th 200+ inning year in a row.

It is common with fans, when you are down you get kicked, when you are up you get carried on shoulders.
    Whos getting kicked? You? Me? or the guy making millions to not play a game? How about Kerry Wood and his cool 50 milllion he's made to hardly ever play? I bet he's in a real state of depression when he goes home to red-neckville in the off-season to stand around the barbecue, spit tobaccie, drink Bud, and throw horse-shoes. When Freddie Garcia looked at his check balance this morning how depressed do you think he was about throwing a lousy game last night? If you, or Prior, ever want to see someone "getting kicked" then go take a walk thru Childrens Memorial some day. If Pro-Sports players dont like criticism for lousy play, or no play, then they can piss off!

Prior may come back and be a star but I would have to get at least 10 to 1 odds that he will ever equal his 2003 stats. I think there is a serious arm problem there and the Cubs have been hiding the truth.

Mark has made what? About 17 m so far in the bigs? So I have a real hard time feeling sorry for Pro-ball players and their little owwies. The Cubs have two "owwies" they are better off without and as an organization it is time for a new era.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
      With statements like this, it's no wonder Cubs fans have replaced Phillie fans as the worst in baseball.
      I'm not a Cubs fan.
      2016 World Series Champions

Comment

My opinion

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
        And your basing this on....what just your opinion?

Prior will be 27 in a few weeks, much too early to give up on him. In 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 he was great in his starts. The statistical evidence backs it up. 2006 is an abberhation, not once this season was he near 100%. That's why sitting him out for the rest of this season is the best thing for this organization and for Mark Prior.

Yep, it is my opinion.
        I belive Prior is done, I saw him pitch low-A ball, and he couldn't get it done. With the money he is paid, of course they are going to bring him to Wrigley like a show pony for the fans...but as you admit...he hasn't made it back. You keep focusing on Prior's stats from yesteryear, but remember to take a breath now and then, or you turn blue.

I am a Cub fan. A realistic die-hard Cub fan. A pessimist sees the glass half empty, the optimist sees the glass half full - and the Cub fan is waiting for the glass of water to get knocked over.
        Last edited by Hawkcat; 08-23-2006, 10:25 AM.
        GO CUBS GO!

Comment

I belive Prior is done, I saw him pitch low-A ball, and he couldn't get it done. With the money he is paid, of course they are going to bring him to Wrigley like a show pony for the fans...but as you admit...he hasn't made it back. You keep focusing on Prior's stats from yesteryear, but remember to take a breath now and then, or you turn blue.

I am a Cub fan. A realistic die-hard Cub fan. A pessimist sees the glass half empty, the optimist sees the glass half full - and the Cub fan is waiting for the glass of water to get knocked over.[/QUOTE]
          GO CUBS GO!

Comment

i say trade him or release him, dustys screwed up his arm just like he did kerry's.. he throws them to much and c what happens, same things goin 2 happen 2 zambrano if hes not careful

Comment

WhiteSoxNut, ur long comment is 100% true and diagnoses wats wrong with the world. We feel sorry for pro athletes who have injurys or have bad seasons while they make millions apon millions of dollars. We should feel sorry the third world kids who have done nothing wrong but been born in the wrong country or the poor, innocent children with incurable diseases who have done absoulutly nothing. I dont mean 2 sound like i hate the game because i love it and its a great game, but come on, you cant really feel bad 4 a player who has been given a "bad break" cause they have an injury. They are still among the richest people in the world.

P.S. I know i sound hipocritical (spelling?) cause my favorite player was mickey mantle and he was not a good role model (i.e. drinking like a fish) but i dont feel bad 4 him. i idolized him for the way he plays the game, not the way he lived his life
              R.I.P Cory Lidel We Miss You

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                And your basing this on....what just your opinion?

Prior will be 27 in a few weeks, much too early to give up on him. In 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 he was great in his starts. The statistical evidence backs it up. 2006 is an abberhation, not once this season was he near 100%. That's why sitting him out for the rest of this season is the best thing for this organization and for Mark Prior.

Let's play what season does NOT belong:

Year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
                2002 CHC 19 19 6 6 0 1 0 116.2 98 45 43 14 38 147 3.32 1.17 .226
                2003 CHC 30 30 18 6 0 3 1 211.1 183 67 57 15 50 245 2.43 1.10 .231
                2004 CHC 21 21 6 4 0 0 0 118.2 112 53 53 14 48 139 4.02 1.35 .251
                2005 CHC 27 27 11 7 0 1 0 166.2 143 73 68 25 59 188 3.67 1.21 .227
                2006 CHC 9 9 1 6 0 0 0 43.2 46 39 35 9 28 38 7.21 1.69 .269

Hmm...tough one.
                After watching Prior in Peoria, Illinois last season - it wasn't a "tough one" to see Prior isn't coming back. I wonder, what does Bob "stats don't lie, morons do" Sacamento think of my 2006 opinion now?
                GO CUBS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkcat View Post
                  After watching Prior in Peoria, Illinois last season - it wasn't a "tough one" to see Prior isn't coming back. I wonder, what does Bob "stats don't lie, morons do" Sacamento think of my 2006 opinion now?
                  A torn labrum has been Prior's problem since 2005-06 and it's just now getting fixed. He pitched in Peoria with damaged shoulder, he pitched in 2006 the same way and part of 2005. So that throws many theories of Prior being soft under the bus. Injuries are impossible to predict (especially with pitchers), still when healthy stats don't lie. Still with Prior's age and experience it's much too early to give up on him. If the Cubs' non tender him in arbitration and let him walk, it easily could be the dumbest move in Hendry's regime.
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

A torn labrum has been Prior's problem since 2005-06 and it's just now getting fixed. He pitched in Peoria with damaged shoulder, he pitched in 2006 the same way and part of 2005. So that throws many theories of Prior being soft under the bus. Injuries are impossible to predict (especially with pitchers), still when healthy stats don't lie. Still with Prior's age and experience it's much too early to give up on him. If the Cubs' non tender him in arbitration and let him walk, it easily could be the dumbest move in Hendry's regime.
                    Indeed. I'd love to see a Zambrano/Lilly/Hill/Prior/Marshall rotation next year, and I don't think that's entirely unrealistic. The injury proves Prior's problems aren't in his head, and unlike Wood, he hasn't shown a propensity for recurring injuries. There's no reason to write the guy off.
                    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I never said Prior was "soft". I said, over a year ago, that Prior was done, not "soft". I said he is injured beyond a MLB comeback. So keep on arguing Bob, and I will be back again next season when Prior is gone, and remind you again of my accurate post back in 2006. Prior was a very good pitcher, unfortunately, his career was cut short by injury.

I just wish you hadn't used that cute line, "stats don't lie, morons do", when replying to a post of mine, like you did when I said Prior wouldn't be back as a regular Cub starter. Have a great day!
                      GO CUBS GO!

Comment

Saying that a 27 year old arm is never going to pitch again is VERY PRESUMPTUOUS. The occult injury that has cost Prior close to 2 full seasons, was found at the beginning of this year. Prior still isn't done being a good pitcher, he might be done with the Cubs due to arbitration, but his career is nowhere near done.

Originally posted by hawkcat
                        I just wish you hadn't used that cute line, "stats don't lie, morons do", when replying to a post of mine, like you did when I said Prior wouldn't be back as a regular Cub starter. Have a great day!
                        The full line of the quote is stats don't lie, morons like you do, I had to shrink it to fit it in. Baseball is full of pitchers who've had labrum surgeries, and Prior had a revolutionary procedure on his shoulder (much like Tommy John had on his elbow 30 years ago). For an update, Prior is already is starting to throw and he'll continue to rehab his surgically repaired arm. All signs point to him being ready to start the season in the rotation in 2008.
                        Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 09-16-2007, 07:50 PM.
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

That would be Cubs luck. After all this time, Prior will probably go to another team and proceed to destroy the league. I just hope he doesn't go to another team in the NL Central.
                          Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Originally posted by vptpt View Post
                            That would be Cubs luck. After all this time, Prior will probably go to another team and proceed to destroy the league. I just hope he doesn't go to another team in the NL Central.
                            cubs can still offer arbitration after this year. granted, he will be due 2.8 million (assuming a 20% max cut on this years salary).

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkcat View Post
                              I will be back again next season when Prior is gone, and remind you again of my accurate post back in 2006.
                              So what if he doesn't work out next year? If you had a one in ten chance to hit the lottery, you would play the lottery even though you only have a 10% chance of winning. So would it be dumb to have played the lottery in that situation if it turns out you didn't hit the lottery? Of course not. You don't only look at the likelihood of success, but also the rewards of success and the costs of the bet to determine whether it makes sense to gamble on a guy.

If Prior were a .500 pitcher that in the best of years gave you a 4.00 ERA, then there's no point in bothering to take a chance. It's the upside that makes it worth exploring. Obviously it would be unwise to pay the guy $15 million, which is what he would be worth if he were healthy and could duplicate his 2002 and 2003 season, but he can be obtained for far less than that.
                              To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                                cubs can still offer arbitration after this year. granted, he will be due 2.8 million (assuming a 20% max cut on this years salary).
                                There is no minimum on arbitration offers anymore due to the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. But the 20% cut you cited was the old mark.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X