Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cubs for sale? Tribune rumored to sell the team...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs for sale? Tribune rumored to sell the team...

I heards this a few hours ago on the radio. Crane's Chicago business has reported that Dennis FitzSimons the CEO of the Chicago Tribune, talked about selling some of its assets to increase the stock value of the company. The shares dropped 27% and the "logical" thing to improve that would be to sell the Cubs, who have a $500 million value.

I don't know if I heard correctly but I think that was what got reported.

In any case, do you think this is good news for the Cubs and its fans? I personally think that it most certainly is. A private owner, who has "less" on his hands than say a Trib company, would focus more on the team and it's needs and (my opinion) would be more competitive. The Cubs are a money making machine, all we need is an owner who has some passion and desire to win, who isn't afraid to spend the bucks.

We can add some flavor to this thread, by stating who you would like to buy the team. I heard the Mavericks owner (rumor) would love to buy a baseball team, I would take him as Cubs' owner in a heartbeat.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by NorthsidePride; 10-24-2005, 01:19 PM.

Here's a link I just found for the real story.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-b...10-24&id=18226

I'm crossing my fingers here guys!

Comment

If Tribune sells, just hope that the owner buying doesn't have the last name of Wirtz.

Comment

lets hope for another George Steinbrenner!
        "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. The Cubs are a cash cow! The Tribune Co will hold on to them until the need to sell them. As long as the Cubs make money every year they will not consider selling them.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X