Where can we trade Jones to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can we trade Jones to?

What teams are going to be in the market for a rightfielder this offseason? Obviously, his contract is very movable. I just have no idea what teams are going to looking for a corner outfielder in a few months.

Originally posted by halloffamefan
    What teams are going to be in the market for a rightfielder this offseason? Obviously, his contract is very movable. I just have no idea what teams are going to looking for a corner outfielder in a few months.
    His contract is movable at 11.67 million over the next two years, but it'll have to be after some of the free agent OFs have set the market value (or elite ones signing) before teams really starts entertaining the thought of trading for Jones.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Bob, please show this part of your sig to Dusty.

"Non-Intentional Walk: .315"

Comment

"Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Runners clogging up bases: Priceless."

There are some things intelligence can accomplish. For everything else, there's Dustycard.
        Patrick

"Can't anybody play this here game?" -- Casey Stengel

Comment

And if we was to trade Jones who would we have out there???

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Simpson
            And if we was to trade Jones who would we have out there???
            whoever you get back...

Comment

Originally posted by EvanAparra
              whoever you get back...

Point being who would we play in Right field????

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Simpson
                Point being who would we play in Right field????
                Point being you could get another right fielder...or use the money that you save from trading him to sign someone else.

Comment

Why trade Jones? I think he has done a good job for his first year in the NL.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                    Why trade Jones? I think he has done a good job for his first year in the NL.
                    His bat has been good, besides the lack of walks (23 hrs, 28 bb). But his defense has been atrocious though, can anyone seriously remember another OF throwing the ball into the ground and hopping it into the infield as much as Jones has this season? If the Cubs want to make a run at Carlos Lee, it's either going to lead to a trade of Jones or Murton. Every Cub fan loves the discipline of Murton and his potential, but he could definately garner more in a deal. With Jones, someone looking for OF help but doesn't want to pay current market value can get a discounted Jones for a reduced salary.

Also there is the question of where does Felix Pie in 2007 and/or 2008... Because the Cubs are starting to make a strong push to lock up Pierre by season's end.
                    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                    Line Drive: .356
                    HBP: .342
                    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                    Outfield Fly: .035
                    Groundball: -.101
                    Bunts: -.103
                    Infield Fly: -.243
                    Strikeout: -.287
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                      Also there is the question of where does Felix Pie in 2007 and/or 2008... Because the Cubs are starting to make a strong push to lock up Pierre by season's end.
                      He's versatile enough to play right, isn't he? Baseball America rates him as the best defensive outfielder in the Cubs org. and they had him with the best outfield arm in 2005 (this year - Ryan Harvey).

I wouldn't mind a Lee - Pierre - Pie outfield, as long as there's a plan B for right field.
                      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

The Cubs would probably get more in trading Murton then they would trading Jones. The problem with keeping Jones and signing a free agent is that pretty much whatever you do your corner defense is going to be atrocious and the offense down the road will be questionable. The cubs have nobody they are willing to let try to play right field in the minors.

I think the Cubs are better off figuring out a platoon partner for Jones, eat the defense for awhile and find some youngster they can develop into a fulltime outfielder in 2 or 3 years.

The Cubs haven't developed a youngster to play the outfield since . . .Billy Williams perhaps? When was the last time a player with no major league experience ended up becoming a starter for the Cubs in the outfield.

Sure you got Jerome Walton and Dwight Smith. But both turned out to be busts. Corey Patterson was a bust. Glanville played for awhile but I don't think he should have. Right now Murton is their only hope.

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
                          He's versatile enough to play right, isn't he? Baseball America rates him as the best defensive outfielder in the Cubs org. and they had him with the best outfield arm in 2005 (this year - Ryan Harvey).

I wouldn't mind a Lee - Pierre - Pie outfield, as long as there's a plan B for right field.
                          Problem with that is they are also going to need a plan B for centerfield and are likely to lose a lot of offense with this lineup.

Cedeno, Izturis, Pierre, and Pie is not a lot offense. Then you have a catchers spot which at the very least will have little offense for 30 or so games, a third basemen with a history of health problems (if he even stays), leaving you with basically a first basemen and the left fielder for the only decent offense on the team. They might not even score 600 runs with that offense, and what happens if Cedeno and Pie flop? What happens if Pierre the leadoff hitter has a .320 OBP? Now we are looking at a really really bad offense.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X