X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ive been lurking here for a month or so

Actually, this board and 4 or 5 others.

Having decided this is the most rational and calm board of the group, I decided to sign up here. While watching all the different arguements all over the web about who is more valuble between Prior, Zambrano, Tejada, Zito, Pie, and whoever else I've left out, I've come to one simple conclusion.

The more people there are at any given site, the crazier the ideas and extrapolations of the tiniest rumors you'll find. Which is another reason I chose here, it's also the site with the least volume of the group, which I'm certainly not calling a bad thing.

Alright, on to the things at hand....

Prior should not, can not, must not be traded for anyone much older than him(there's one exception I'll get to in a second). I feel the same way about Zambrano. There's a very short list of players I would consider trading either Prior or Z for.

Miggy Cabrera - I dont see FLA letting him go anytime soon
    Albert Pujols - Thats a trade that will never, ever happen
    ARod - The one exception to the age thing, and only if he costs about $6 million per year with the Yankees picking up the rest

Thats it, thats the list

I'm really hoping these Tejada rumors go away, because no matter what we give up, we will be overpaying. The little equation under my name should give you an idea as to why I think that. Murton and Cedeno both have very bright futures and I'd like to see them have those futures in Wrigley. Tejada is a good player, no question, but he doesn't add enough to the team right now or in the future to overcome what he would be taking away. Maddux will likely be shown the door after this season, and I have a bad feeling Kerry will to. Which makes keeping both Prior and Z even more important.
    Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Welcome to the board..

And thanks for the intelligent breakdown on these recent trade rumors!
    BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
      Prior should not, can not, must not be traded for anyone much older than him(there's one exception I'll get to in a second). I feel the same way about Zambrano. There's a very short list of players I would consider trading either Prior or Z for.

Miggy Cabrera - I dont see FLA letting him go anytime soon
      Albert Pujols - Thats a trade that will never, ever happen
      ARod - The one exception to the age thing, and only if he costs about $6 million per year with the Yankees picking up the rest

Thats it, thats the list
      Welcome to BBF, SS! And I agree completely with this statement. Prior and Z should not be traded except for franchise players, and Tejada does not quite fit that bill.
      EAMUS CATULI!
      AC036198

Comment

i also agree...like i sed on a different topic when everyone was saying trade prior because he is injury prone...he is not inury prone, he is unlucky or unfortunate...coming off an injury and gettin absolutely DRILLED in the elbow with a line drive is the most unlucky thing ever...so calling prior injury prone is probably one of the most absurd things ever...also, we all know that the minute we trade prior, he will win 20 games, not miss 1 start, and win a cy young...the history of players that we have traded away is outrageous, greg maddux, dontrelle willis, luis gonzalez, rafael palmeiro (minus steroids), are just some of the names...besides, you just dont trade a #2 ace for an offensive player...cubs have been trying for the power side of baseball for too long and it has not worked...pitching wins you ball games, offense and defense only supports it...how do u expect to win if u only have 1 or 2 pitchers who dont give up 6+ runs almost every outing...keeping prior and locking him up is a top priority on my list, him and zamby are and should be the concrete base to building a very good pitching staff around

Comment

First off, let me say I'm a Cubs fan. Born and raised on the North Side. Cub fans do however, make me laugh. The problem with us is we have become "preconditioned" by the Tribune Company. We so dearly love our team, our ballpark, and thus year after year we are taken advantage of by ownership. Let me explain......

As I've read and listened to all the "hot stove" trade rumors over the last couple weeks, I have not ONCE heard anyone mention ANYTHING about money. MONEY, MONEY, MONEY.......That's all the Tribune co cares about!

We Cub fans, and all baseball fans across the country for that matter, debate why the Cubs should or shouldn't trade Prior. Oriole fans argue why they should or shouldn't trade Tejada. NOBODY brings up WHY the Cubs are even in these discussions. I'll tell you why......

It makes me laugh (or shall I say feel sorry) for all the great Cub fans (on this board and throught the country) when I read things like: "Let's trade prospects to the A's, get Tejada and that way we can keep Prior". As a PURE baseball fan, YES absolutely, that would be the trade to make. If the Tribune Co REALLY wanted to win, that's EXACTLY what they would try to do. But they have no interest in having BOTH Tejada and Prior, because it's ALL ABOUT THE MONEY....

Prior will be arbitration eligible next year. Do you REALLY think the Tribune Co wants to have both Tejada's contract and Prior's future contract on the books at the same time???

Why are we even pursuing Tejada? Because his contract, in today's market, is relatively cheap for the type of player he is. If the Cubs REALLY wanted a SS, why do you think they let Furcal go to the Dodgers?? They could of had him WITHOUT giving up any players. Granted Furcal is a different type of player than Tejada, and obviously not as "good" as Tejada, but he was a guy the Cubs needed and targeted. They offered $50mil for 5 years, why not commit only $39mil for 3??? If he works out, sign him to another extension and you have your shortstop for the next 10 years. If not, you cut your ties......Again, it's ALL about the money!!

The A's are willing, and have shown the last 2 years, that they are ABSOLUTELY WILLING to trade their top stud pitchers for young talent. From a PURE BASEBALL MENTALITY, and from a fans point of view, why wouldn't you trade a Rich Hill and a couple other prospects for Barry Zito if he is available? Would you rather not have "The Double Z", in Zambrano and Zito, along with Prior and Wood with the current Cub's lineup???? ABSOLUTELY YOU WOULD! But then a year from now, you'd have to deal with both Zito and Prior (arbitration) on new contracts, and with the Tribune Co., there is no way they'd pay them both, probably neither for that matter. How would they save face with the fans a year from now when they lose Zito to FA and then eventually Prior after his arbitration years???? That's precisely why that trade doesn't happen.

Instead, we acquire "role" players that will not command big contracts, now nor in the future. I love juan Pierre, I believe he brings so much to the table, and was a GREAT acquisition. But what would have been wrong with Pierre, Furcal and D-Lee batting behind them?? Would we be discussing Tejada??? But then we get Jacque Jones, a 120k/year player who has averaged .250 over the last 2 seasons, and sign him to a 3 year contract (again, relatively cheap at 5mil per year). Now we have probably the BEST French outfield ever assembled in the history of baseball......Pierre and Jacque.

If the Tribune Co simply made a 2 year commitment, to "JUST GO FOR IT", we can have a championship on the North Side. And I'm not talking spending yankee type money. But that won't happen as long as the corner of Clark and Sheffield stays full. I don't blame Hendry, nor any GM for the Cubs for that matter. It's a shame that theTribune Co continues to "play" with the minds of Cub fans all across the country. They dangle in Tejada discussions, and people all over become excited. As if the Cubs now are REALLY trying to win.

Folks, stop, look, listen and analyze. As long as the Tribune Co. owns the Cubs, we will NEVER WIN A WORLD SERIES. Somehow, someway, perhaps we get lucky and on a roll and do it. But let us not forget 1984 and 2003.......
          Almost, but somehow, someway we found a way to lose. Perhaps because the Tribune Co deserved for it to turn out that way.
          Last edited by SonnyD; 12-25-2005, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Eckersley jersey?

Wasn't he the guy who REFUSED to become a relief pitcher at the end of his Cubs tenure while he was trying to drink himself out of baseball?

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Biittner
              Wasn't he the guy who REFUSED to become a relief pitcher at the end of his Cubs tenure while he was trying to drink himself out of baseball?
              I think that was his name..

But he turned out ok...

NO?
              BELIEVE

Comment

Difference of opinion, I reckon.

I know that I, as a Cubs fan, would not choose to celebrate a guy who spent most of his tenure as a Cub inside a bottle, then, when he hit rock bottom, did what he was asked to do here, and become a HOF pitcher.

Sure, his numbers don't lie, and he deserves the HOF (just as Bruce Sutter does), but I wouldn't put him in the pantheon of great Cubs.
                Last edited by Larry Biittner; 12-26-2005, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Biittner
                  I know that I, as a Cubs fan, would not choose to celebrate a guy who spent most of his tenure as a Cub inside a bottle, then, when he hit rock bottom, did what he was asked to do here, and become a HOF pitcher.

Sure, his numbers don't lie, and he deserves the HOF (just as Bruce Sutter does), but I wouldn't put him in the pantheon of great Cubs.
                  Honestly, I wouldnt either. It's one of the two jerseys I got as gifts, Jenkins is the other. The rest I bought myself.

But it still looks good hanging there.
                  Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Prior for Cabrera? I don't know if I'd be ok with that.
                    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

My oh my how things change... Look at the Cubbies now.
                      WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by RichmondHillPhoenix
                        My oh my how things change... Look at the Cubbies now.
                        I don't think going into another teams forum to trash them is a very good idea.
                        Montreal Expos 1969 - 2004

Comment

Sorry, thats not what I meant. I was just commenting on talks of trading Prior...
                          WAMCO!

Comment

I'm gonna go ahead and close this. Old threads have already been brought back for this same purpose.
                            A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X