Is Soriano's age a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Soriano's age a problem?

Alfonso Soriano is 30 years old. I'm not saying that is a problem because he is at the peak of his career. He is playing the best baseball of his career so far. But the Cubs are still a very young team and I think they need a hell of alot more than just Soriano. If they don't make any more key trades I can't see a world series coming next year. If Soriano is going to make an impact in Chi Town he cant do it alone and they had better hurry up and put together a very good team before he gets too old.
    Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

its not his age per se, as its the combined effect with the length of the contract. i disagree with ubi's comment in the other thread that we arent going to get any of his prime years. He still has 2 years of his "prime years" left. His age 31 year (next) and his age 32 year (the following). and still, peoples prime ages in baseball is extending into the age 33/34 years now as well.

8 years is the main problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ZR56664
      Alfonso Soriano is 30 years old. I'm not saying that is a problem because he is at the peak of his career. He is playing the best baseball of his career so far. But the Cubs are still a very young team and I think they need a hell of alot more than just Soriano. If they don't make any more key trades I can't see a world series coming next year. If Soriano is going to make an impact in Chi Town he cant do it alone and they had better hurry up and put together a very good team before he gets too old.

Did you forget we still have Lee, Ramirez, Barrett, and Jones? They do need to add at least 2 SP's, but Hendry knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
        Did you forget we still have Lee, Ramirez, Barrett, and Jones? They do need to add at least 2 SP's, but Hendry knows this.
        I've heard Ted Lilly's name...
        I agree the Cubs need 2 SP's but I'm not sure if they will get more than 1.
        I think u guys need a closer just as badly as a SP.
        4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
        http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

We have Dempster, who will hopefully get to the level he was at in 2005, and if he continues his bad luck, then we have Wood to rely on. And then if we're still hurting, Howry can close and we could have Eyre to setup...another reason we shouldnt trade Eyre.
          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

His age is not that BIG of a problem but his Attitude IS ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
              We have Dempster, who will hopefully get to the level he was at in 2005, and if he continues his bad luck, then we have Wood to rely on. And then if we're still hurting, Howry can close and we could have Eyre to setup...another reason we shouldnt trade Eyre.
              Ok if u guys can solve the problem internally...that would work out pretty well. Dempster needs some time away from the closer role in my opinion. It might have to be bullpen by committee.
              4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
              http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

In another 3-4 years his age will be a real big issue.
                Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                  ...then we have Wood to rely on.
                  I've learned not to rely on Wood in any role.
                  Your luck has expired. Please purchase new luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                    its not his age per se, as its the combined effect with the length of the contract. i disagree with ubi's comment in the other thread that we arent going to get any of his prime years. He still has 2 years of his "prime years" left. His age 31 year (next) and his age 32 year (the following). and still, peoples prime ages in baseball is extending into the age 33/34 years now as well.

8 years is the main problem.

Even if you say the next two years of his career are prime that still leaves 6 years of a contract in which he will be paid prime money. Manny when he got his contract got at least half of his contract in prime territory. ARod got at least half of his contract in prime territory. Alfonso at best has a quarter of his contract.

Comment

Manny is still in his prime and his contract is almost up. A-Rod might also play out his whole contract in his prime. Dont know about Sori, big risk.

Comment

If we are able to win a World Series in the next 1-3 seasons with him in the line-up, then I dont care how bad of a deal it was. It will all be worth it to get just one W.S. victory. I don't care if we stink for 5 seasons afterward as long as we win one!

Also as far as everyone thinking Soriano is gonna be playing center field better think again. Sweet Lou seems to have something else on his mind for Sori.

From the Charlotte Sun-Herald newspaper:

You didn't expect the Tampa Bay Devil Rays to spend $136 million to sign Alfonso Soriano, did you?

Of course not. But the Chicago Cubs? Holy Cow!

How do you like that, Lou Piniella?

"He's our leadoff batter and he'll play one of the corner outfield positions," Our Man Lou said Monday when reached at his home in Tampa.
                        Tinker, Evers, Chance & Steinfeldt: The nucleus of our elite World Series teams!!!!

Comment

So do you think they will keep Pierre and get rid of murton?
                          Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

Pierre is already with the Dodgers.

Comment

This was the ultimate "f-u" by the Tribune owners, and I proudly accept that finger. Good riddance. At least the Cubs have a shot now.

As far as his age, its hard to complain about something 5-6 years down the line. It's not an issue at the moment.
                              98 years of futility and counting...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X