Is Soriano's age a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubBlue
    As far as his age, its hard to complain about something 5-6 years down the line. It's not an issue at the moment.
    You say that now, but that won't be the tune in the future. It'll be more like "what were the Cubs thinking in giving an aging bat that type of security!", "I can't believe this bum is making 20 million a year!"
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

If the Cubs Win a World Series in the next couple years with Soriano and they dont win again for the rest of my life I will be fine with it because I would give anything for that one moment when they make that final out of the world series. There have been so many loyal fans that have stuck with the Cubs through thick and thin who have never seen their team win it all. As much as I want the Cubs to win multiple WSs in my lifetime I think they should just start with one. Thats all I want to see and if its going to happen it better happen soon before They get too old and have to rebuild the team once again.
      Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
        You say that now, but that won't be the tune in the future. It'll be more like "what were the Cubs thinking in giving an aging bat that type of security!", "I can't believe this bum is making 20 million a year!"
        That's a given, except, the way I see it Soriano will be here as long as Lou P. is around. I think Lou will have about 3 seasons to try and win it all, 4 max. So if we want to crystal ball this case I'd look no further ahead than 3-4 years from now, and depending on the situation I believe he'll be traded (to a "desperate" team) and they would handle the rest of that big contract. With baseball salaries, who knows, maybe by that time Soriano's contract will be looked at as a "steal", similar to A-Rod's today. This of course assuming he doesn't fall off the planet production wise.
        98 years of futility and counting...

Comment

ARod's contract is considered a deal now because Texas is paying for a good chunk of it. When ARod was traded the Rangers owed him 183 million dollars and 7 years left on the contract. The Rangers agreed to pay 71 million dollars of that. The Yanks only have to pay for 112 million of that. That means ARod will only cost the Yanks or any team that has him 16 million dollars a year. Whereas before he would have cost a team on average 25.5 million a year. That is why ARod is a deal now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ubiquitous
            ARod's contract is considered a deal now because Texas is paying for a good chunk of it.
            That's why I compared it to A-Rod's deal, I didn't make myself clear but yes, the Cubs could pick up some of his money if he's traded. My main point is I don't think the Cubs will be stuck paying off his entire deal, so as fans we shouldn't worry. Another thing, 25 mill per is a far cry from Soriano's money.

Again, I don't see this contract as a big problem, because he could be traded halfway through.

Comment

But in 4 or so how much of the money do the Cubs have to pick up to be rid of him? If he is over-priced now then how much more is he going to be when he is 35? The Cubs would probably have to eat over half of his salary just to move him. That isn't a really good deal for the Cubs. ARod's contract looks good because he is arguably the best ball player in the game but with the Rangers picking up a third of the contract his salary for the new team no longer has to pay top dollar for him. ARod is now a bargain. Soriano will never be a bargain unless the Cubs pay for close to 2/3 of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by CubBlue
                That's why I compared it to A-Rod's deal, I didn't make myself clear but yes, the Cubs could pick up some of his money if he's traded. My main point is I don't think the Cubs will be stuck paying off his entire deal, so as fans we shouldn't worry.
                Some of the money?? The Rangers picked up a HUGE chunk of the deal just to move ARod.

Another thing, 25 mill per is a far cry from Soriano's money.
                With how much the Rangers had to pay to make ARod go away, Alex's salary from the Yanks is only 16 million while the Cubs are coughing up 17 million to Soriano.

Again, I don't see this contract as a big problem, because he could be traded halfway through.
                It's much easier to talk about moving a big contract rather than it is to actually move it. Especially in four years when Soriano will be 35, making 17 million or more, and he has no true defensive position.
                What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                Line Drive: .356
                HBP: .342
                Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                Intentional Walk: .176
                Outfield Fly: .035
                Groundball: -.101
                Bunts: -.103
                Infield Fly: -.243
                Strikeout: -.287
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                  Some of the money?? The Rangers picked up a HUGE chunk of the deal just to move ARod.

With how much the Rangers had to pay to make ARod go away, Alex's salary from the Yanks is only 16 million while the Cubs are coughing up 17 million to Soriano.

It's much easier to talk about moving a big contract rather than it is to actually move it. Especially in four years when Soriano will be 35, making 17 million or more, and he has no true defensive position.
                  I know you went with the max, but I don't believe Soriano will be a Cub for more than 3 seasons (WS ring or not), especially with what seems to be, new ownership coming in. Heck I wouldn't be shocked if Lou and Soriano had only 2 seasons to try and win it. This is Hendry's last chance, and Lou wants to win right now as we all know.

At 33-34, if he's still producing there will be a few teams that would take him. 17 Mil per in '09 or '10, will not be considered hard to move for a 40/40 guy. As a Cub fan it's just not something I'm concerned with at the moment. Even if the Cubs end up eating some of that money (20-30 mil?), it still won't be the end of the world since its spread out. Is it a crazy, desperate move by the Cubs to give out this huge amount of money? I admit it is, but they feel its about time to win, and the Tribune Co. wants to move on so they're just building the product before they sell, IMHO.

The team is built to win now, and since the Cubs haven't won the world series since.....I don't mind these drastic moves. It would be nice to compete every year like the Braves do, but it would be even nicer celebrating a WS champion Cubs team.

Comment

Originally posted by ZR56664
                    If the Cubs Win a World Series in the next couple years with Soriano and they dont win again for the rest of my life I will be fine with it because I would give anything for that one moment when they make that final out of the world series. There have been so many loyal fans that have stuck with the Cubs through thick and thin who have never seen their team win it all. As much as I want the Cubs to win multiple WSs in my lifetime I think they should just start with one. Thats all I want to see and if its going to happen it better happen soon before They get too old and have to rebuild the team once again.
                    You see, thats not what I want. Im sure you can ask any Cubs fan who remembers 1908 and they woul;d prolly say, they want them spread out. What if they were to win next year and they never won in your lifetime and you lived for 80 more years? Would you want another 80 years oif no championship? I know if I said that and it happened,b y the time I turned 60 I would've kicked myslef for saying that. And you got to think of your kids too (if you plan on them to be Cub fans ) I wouldnt wanna be as selfish ehough to take a WS next year and not let my kids never see one or at least wait until i die to see one. Thats a moment I would love to share with my children, to watch the Cubs win the World Series.
                    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X