Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unnoticed canidate for the pitching rotation?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unnoticed canidate for the pitching rotation?????

Juan Mateo.

Juan Mateos number lie a lot. In his 3 losses, the first one was August 20th, he gave up 4 runs in the 1st inning and went scoreless for the rest of the game, he went 7 innings and we lost 5-3.

August 25th at St. Louis, he went 5 innings, gave up 2 runs, 1 earned at lost 2-0.

September 10th at Atlanta, he went 6 innings, gave up 2 runs and lost by a count of 2-1.

Now, if you take out the September 5th (5 ER, 4 IP) and September 30th start (7 ER, 1.2 IP) his ERA would be a 3.37. Nopw that to me is very respectable. I think he could be a great fit in the rotation if he can perform like that. Anyone agree?
    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

well, he is a good pitcher and will develop, but he still is going to have bad starts and won't be much better than a five starter at best this year
    Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
    -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
    -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
    -Yogi Berra

Comment

I agree. He should be given a chance to make the rotation in Spring Training.

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfan1073
        well, he is a good pitcher and will develop, but he still is going to have bad starts and won't be much better than a five starter at best this year
        I agree with that- he seems like a number 5 starter for the cubs-but he pitched some good ball in August. Watched all of them.

Comment

Glad you agree with me Gary. Ive always known he was a good player and decided to look into his game by game stats to see why he hasnt really been mentioned as a possiblity and I couldnt find any except for the 5th and 30th starts. Even if he is a number 5 starter, at least we would have 3 pitchers set for the rotation...and every player is going to have a few bad starts.
          "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
          -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Mateo is a nice young pitcher but probably has more of a home as a longman in the pen or setup man rather than as an everyday MLB starter at least for the 2007 season. Juan will be 24 in less than a month, and threw the most innings of his career last year at 138 1/3 IP between AA & MLB. Along with his minor league numbers of low BB rate and control over his fastball/slider. Mateo has something that you can't teach and that's poise; he's very fearless on the mound. He'd definately benefit from an entire season at Iowa to build up some arm strength and to work on his change.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X