Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Cub Opening Day Line Up Do you Like Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Cub Opening Day Line Up Do you Like Better?

After the recent personale moves the Cubs have made, and reading the comments of the GM and manager in the Chicago papers, here's how the Cubs' Opening Day line up seems to be shaping up as of now:

Lineup A:
    Alphonso Soriano, CF
    Mark DeRosa, 2B
    Derrick Lee, 1B
    Aramis Ramirez, 3b
    Jacques Jones, RF
    Matt Murton, LF
    Michael Barrett,C
    Cesar Izturis, SS
    Carlos Zamabrano, P

Here's the lineup I like much better:

Lineup B:
    Ryan Theriot, 2B
    Matt Murton, LF
    Derrick Lee, IB
    Aramis Ramirez, 3B
    Alphonso Soriano, CF
    Jacques Jones/Mark DeRosa RF
    Michael Barrett, C
    Cesar Izturis, SS
    Carlos Zambrano, P

I like Theroit leading off and playing second instead of DeRosa, due to Theriot's OBP, speed, and defense that he showed last year. I think he's earned the chance to start at second. I like Murton batting second after his great second half performance last year. He's developing into a Mark Grace-type hitter: good contact hitter with occasional power, perfect for #2 (or perhaps #3 eventually). DeRosa is perfect for a platoon with Jones in RF. I'm not wild about him playing second (there he reminds me of a slight upgrade on Todd Walker). I don't want Soriano leading off due to his high K's, lack of walks, and relatively low OBP. Plus he has the ability to drive in over 100 RBI's lower in the order and can still use his speed. And the majority of his 40+ HR's won't be solo's.

With this line up, we've got two high OBP guys in front of the big boppers. That's a formula for success.

I'm interested to see what other Cub fans are thinking about the line up right about now. Agree?...Disagree?...or do you have a better suggestion? Please give your reasons!
    Line up A
    21.43%
    Line up B
    57.14%
    Neither - I've got a better idea (see below)
    21.43%
    Last edited by GaryL; 11-24-2006, 08:02 AM.

lineup c

1. murton
    2. barret
    3. soriano
    4. ramirez
    5. lee
    6. jones
    7. theriot
    8. izturis
    9. big z

i dont really like murton leading off, but he has a good obp, and no one else is a very good leadoff hitter beside theriot
    Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
    -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
    -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
    -Yogi Berra

Comment

I don't think Jim's finished making deals for position players, so I think it's a bit too early to make a full lineup. What I will say is that I don't want Alfonso leading off, he'd be better in the 2, 4, or 5 spot. I've heard Scott Eyre and Andy Masur (3rd man on the WGN radio Cubs team) say that Soriano shouldn't lead off, and haven't heard anyone really make a case for him to lead off.

BTW, can we please correctly spell the names of the 2007 Cubs: Derrek, Alfonso, Barrett... that's a pet peeve of mine.
      Last edited by E.Banks#14; 11-24-2006, 09:29 AM.
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
        I don't think Jim's finished making deals for position players, so I think it's a bit too early to make a full lineup. What I will say is that I don't want Alfonso leading off, he'd be better in the 2, 4, or 5 spot. I've heard Scott Eyre and Andy Masur (3rd man on the WGN radio Cubs team) say that Soriano shouldn't lead off, and haven't heard anyone really make a case for him to lead off.
        That's because there is no real reason to lead him off, it's a complete waste of talent and ability. His power and speed are much more threatening in the middle of the lineup. As for a possible leadoff man we could be chasing, Julio Lugo's name keeps coming up. He's defensively versatile, to the point where he could play CF this year (probably alot easier than Alf) then switch back to SS in 2008 when Izturis departs (if not earlier).

I'll definately take a 3-4-5 of Lee-Ramirez-Soriano with "other" at leadoff" over Lee-Ramirez-Jones with Soriano at the leadoffspot.
        What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
        Line Drive: .356
        HBP: .342
        Non-Intentional Walk: .315
        Intentional Walk: .176
        Outfield Fly: .035
        Groundball: -.101
        Bunts: -.103
        Infield Fly: -.243
        Strikeout: -.287
        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I actually don't mind Soriano leading off. As a lead off man he will get the most PA he will get in the lineup and it is about the only place where his speed will do him any good. His speed is practically useless as a #3 or #4 hitter. Aramis and Lee are power hitters who hit doubles and homers. You are not going to steal a base with them batting right behind you. Nor does it really matter about grabbing the extra base when they are hitting homers or doubles. Now of course the tradeoff is that as a leadoff batter you lose men on base situations. But that loss is mitigated somewhat by the fact that as a leadoff hitter he will get more PA's and he will also have more at bats with no outs.

If you put him in the middle of the lineup you are pushing other good hitters further down the lineup which means they will get less PA's. Which is another minus.

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
            I don't think Jim's finished making deals for position players, so I think it's a bit too early to make a full lineup.
            I think that may make some sense, because the current lineup gives you such a heavy right-handed emphasis. Granted, the lineup (espcially with DeRosa) will kill lefties, but it may be neutralized with good right-handed pitching. Jones is the only power-hitting lefty swinger in the lineup.

I think Murton or Theriot should leadoff because of their OBP potential. I think Theriot may get the majority of atbats at 2B by the end of the season. DeRosa may break spring training as the starter, but I think the Cubs will find that his true value is as a platoon guy against lefties and a utility guy to spell guys at 2B, 3B, SS, and the corner OF spots. I know he wants to be a full-time 2B, but what he wants and what is best for the club may not be the same thing.

Comment

soriano could bat second
              this might not be the best idea, but it could work
              2 hitters need to get on base, steal a few bases, and have power-all of which alfonso could do
              this also wouldnt force our better hitters down in the order
              right now our lineup couuld possibly be
              1 murton lf
              2 soriano cf
              3 lee 1b
              4 ramirez 3b
              5 jones rf
              6 barrett c
              7 theriot 2b
              8 izturis ss
              9 zambrano p

this lineup looks pretty threatening, and if we could get a real leadoff hitter-we wouuld be tough to stop
              -Warren Spahn

-Pete Rose

-Yogi Berra

Comment

I like Soirano hitting 2nd as well. Having him hit lead-off would waste his power since he would be up with the bases empty more often than not. Having him bat 5th would waste his speed becuase he would be on the basepaths with the bottom of our order trying to bring him home.

Here's my lineup:
                2b- theriot
                cf- soriano
                1b- lee
                3b- ramirez
                rf- jones
                c- barret
                lf- murton
                ss- izturus
                p- zambrano

Comment

I'm still hopeful that we can sign CF Dave Roberts, let him leadoff. Then let Murton platoon with Jones in RF. I love the play of Theriot, but he still needs to be bench player right now.

1. CF Roberts
                  2. LF Soriano
                  3. 1B Lee
                  4. 3B Ramirez
                  5. RF Jones/Murton
                  6. C Barrett
                  7. 2B DeRosa
                  8. SS Izturis
                  9. P

Comment

No way...keep Murton full time and trade away Jones for Westbrook.
                    "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

We almost cannot trade away Jones right now, due to he's one of the few left handed sticks in our lineup. Unless we go get Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                        I'm still hopeful that we can sign CF Dave Roberts, let him leadoff. Then let Murton platoon with Jones in RF. I love the play of Theriot, but he still needs to be bench player right now.

1. CF Roberts
                        2. LF Soriano
                        3. 1B Lee
                        4. 3B Ramirez
                        5. RF Jones/Murton
                        6. C Barrett
                        7. 2B DeRosa
                        8. SS Izturis
                        9. P
                        According to the SF Chronicle, John Boggs is ironing the final details on a 3 year contract for Roberts with the Giants at between $5-$6M per year. Although it will not be announced today as Roberts has not yet taken a physical.

Comment

I voted B but I didn't notice Lee hitting 3rd. I would have:

1) 2B Theriot
                          2) LF Murton
                          3) 3B Ramirez
                          4) 1B Lee
                          5) CF Soriano
                          6) RF Jones
                          7) C Barrett
                          8) SS Izturis
                          9) P Zambrano
                          4th Member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club!!!! :gt

Creator of the Guess The Player Game
                          http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=63675

Comment

Originally posted by AznInvasion
                            I voted B but I didn't notice Lee hitting 3rd. I would have:

1) 2B Theriot
                            2) LF Murton
                            3) 3B Ramirez
                            4) 1B Lee
                            5) CF Soriano
                            6) RF Jones
                            7) C Barrett
                            8) SS Izturis
                            9) P Zambrano
                            i like lee third and ramirez four
                            lee is capable of a higher obp and ramirez is capable of more homers
                            -Warren Spahn

-Pete Rose

-Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
                              No way...keep Murton full time and trade away Jones for Westbrook.
                              I haven't seen Westbrook pitch. Is he that good? His stats aren't that great?!?!?! I must be missing something...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X