Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Cub Opening Day Line Up Do you Like Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rookie1914
    I haven't seen Westbrook pitch. Is he that good? His stats aren't that great?!?!?! I must be missing something...
    Yeah, you are missing something, his stats are very solid, especially when converted over to the NL. He's not a strikeout pitcher like we've had full of in our rotation of late but he's groundball pitcher who'd do very well playing in Wrigley. He turns 30 at the end of the 2007 season, is in his prime, and can be had cheaper price (in terms of players to trade) than signing a player like Meche/Padilla while putting up very similiar if not better stats. Here's what Jake has done the last three years:

Year Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
    2004 CLE 33 30 14 9 0 5 1 215.2 208 95 81 19 61 116 3.38 1.25 .255
    2005 CLE 34 34 15 15 0 2 0 210.2 218 121 105 19 56 119 4.49 1.30 .265
    2006 CLE 32 32 15 10 0 3 2 211.1 247 106 98 15 55 109 4.17 1.43 .296
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

if we could trade jones for westbrook i would do it in a heartbeat
      Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
      -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
      -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
      -Yogi Berra

Comment

I saw a rumor of Dempster, among other players, for Westbrook. I'd very surprised that that would be all it takes to get him (maybe Cubs will have to also eat some of Dempster's salary). I thought it would take a high prospect to get him.

First, moving from the AL to NL usually lowers one's ERA by a little over 1, so Westbrook could have a ERA in the high 2s. Also, Izuturis is much better defensively than Peralta. If Cedeno plays 2nd, you can really maximize Westbrook's abilities.

I like a good sinkerballer, and I think Westbrook would be a solid pickup--a great third pitcher. When done well, it's a pitch you can throw a lot--even when hitters know it's coming, they still ground out. It doesn't matter much if the wind blows in or out. Some of the most consistent pitchers are sinkerballers.
        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

WHO's Forgetting Derosa??

I see so many people wanting Theriot at second base... How far have rookies taken us last year? Theriot should be a backup to Derosa to begin the season. Derosa is proven in the field and he has experience playing nearly EVERY position with Texas. But Theriot did look like he had some good POP in his bat at the end of last season, I can see this kid being a real good ball player. Theriot may end up the starting second baseman and Derosa the utility man, but not at the beginning of the season.

Here's my thoughts on a lineup!

CF: Soriano
          SS: Izturis
          1B: LEE
          3B: Ramirez
          RF: Jones (and yes we should keep JONES!!!)
          C: Barret
          2B: Derosa
          RF: Murton
          Cubs are Makin' Moves!

More Cubs Articles and News @
          www.cubbielove.com

Comment

I can see maybe leading off with Soriano becasue of his speed, but batting Izturis second? No thanks. He's a career .295 OBP guy. With Soriano's 160 K's and Izturis' low OBP, there wouldn't be many opportunities for the big boppers to drive in runs. And a guy with a high OBP, Murton, you've got batting 8th.

I like my lineup a lot better...but we shall see!

Comment

Originally posted by GaryL
              I can see maybe leading off with Soriano becasue of his speed, but batting Izturis second? No thanks. He's a career .295 OBP guy. With Soriano's 160 K's and Izturis' low OBP, there wouldn't be many opportunities for the big boppers to drive in runs. And a guy with a high OBP, Murton, you've got batting 8th.

I like my lineup a lot better...but we shall see!
              I agree with Izturis. I don't know if I trust a Sox/Cubs fan though

Comment

Originally posted by Rookie1914
                I agree with Izturis. I don't know if I trust a Sox/Cubs fan though
                You can trust me...Believe it or not, I've been a Cub fan since 1957, long before most of you young whippersnappers were born!

By the way, it looks like my Lineup B has jumped out to a nice lead! Can we forward this "scientific survey" of knowledgeable Cub fans to Lou Piniella??
                Last edited by GaryL; 11-29-2006, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownGuy
                  I see so many people wanting Theriot at second base... How far have rookies taken us last year? Theriot should be a backup to Derosa to begin the season. Derosa is proven in the field and he has experience playing nearly EVERY position with Texas. But Theriot did look like he had some good POP in his bat at the end of last season, I can see this kid being a real good ball player. Theriot may end up the starting second baseman and Derosa the utility man, but not at the beginning of the season.

Here's my thoughts on a lineup!

CF: Soriano
                  SS: Izturis
                  1B: LEE
                  3B: Ramirez
                  RF: Jones (and yes we should keep JONES!!!)
                  C: Barret
                  2B: Derosa
                  RF: Murton
                  i dont like this lineup for a few reasons:
                  1 soriano has too much pop to bat leadoff
                  2 murton led us in BA last season, he is a good hitter, why bat him 8th
                  3 i like theriot starting unless he struggles
                  and
                  4 we dont have a leftfielder-i like playing two guys in right field, but its too risky
                  what if a ball goes to left, alfonso will have to chase it down and it will be inside the park mania
                  i see your logic, but not a good move
                  Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
                  -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
                  -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
                  -Yogi Berra

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X