Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stros sign Williams & Lee

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2674398

Reports say they've reached an agreement on a 6 year deal worth 100 million with Carlos Lee, and a 2 year deal worth around 12 million with Woody Williams.

I've never really been a huge fan of either of these guys. Lee can hit and will probably hurt the Cubs a bit next year, but he eats up a huge chunk of Houston's 2007 payroll. They still have a LOT of questions in their pitching staff, and have now tied up a ton of the cash needed for pitching in Lee. The Williams signing doesn't worry me too much. I predict he has a significant drop-off from a year ago, he's leaving a pitcher's park and coming to a hitter's park.
    Last edited by IHSV; 11-24-2006, 03:20 PM.
    Rocky Top, You'll Always Be Home Sweet Home To Me... Good Ol' Rocky Top, Rocky Top TENNESSEE!!

Erik Ainge: Heisman 2007

Priorities

Schmidt
    Westbrook
    Lugo/Drew

Originally posted by IHSV
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2674398

Reports say they've reached an agreement on a 6 year deal worth 100 million with Carlos Lee, and a 2 year deal worth around 12 million with Woody Williams.

I've never really been a huge fan of either of these guys. Lee can hit and will probably hurt the Cubs a bit next year, but he eats up a huge chunk of Houston's 2007 payroll. They still have a LOT of questions in their pitching staff, and have now tied up a ton of the cash needed for pitching in Lee. The Williams signing doesn't worry me too much. I predict he has a significant drop-off from a year ago, he's leaving a pitcher's park and coming to a hitter's park.
    The Astros were formidable last year and these signings make them a lot better. Preston Wilson and Jason Lane were terrible. Luke Scott did alright but expecting even production with his small sample last year is asking a lot. Willy Taveras is no shining star either. Their overall offensive production from their oufield was non-existent. Lee upgrades this drastically. The only decent offensive players in that lineup are Berkman and Ensberg (assuming he's healthy). Lee is an overall boost as well.

Williams adds some age to a young rotation as well. An Oswalt, Backe, and Williams combination isn't bad. It restricts the amount of starts Hirsh, Rodriguez, and Buchholz will make, all of which need another year or two.

Comment

Im a bit nervous, because Lee OWNS Wrigley Field.

in 123 Abs, 41 Hits (.333 BA), 20 Runs, 9 2B, 12 HR, 29 RBI, .699 Slugging and 1086 OPS
      "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
      -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Im gonna put the Astros as a BIG team to watch, if they can get a lil more pitching, they will be really good and a team to not wanna play.
        "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
        -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubsfan97
          Im gonna put the Astros as a BIG team to watch, if they can get a lil more pitching, they will be really good and a team to not wanna play.
          That lil pitching might come in the return of Clemens AND/OR Pettite.
          What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
          Line Drive: .356
          HBP: .342
          Non-Intentional Walk: .315
          Intentional Walk: .176
          Outfield Fly: .035
          Groundball: -.101
          Bunts: -.103
          Infield Fly: -.243
          Strikeout: -.287
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Lee ought to do well in the Juice Bowl, but I have real doubts about him having a long career. He lacks speed, his defensive skills are lacking, and has a body type that can get fat quick. Williams is a good 4th-5th starter and that is useful. He is only good for 5-6 innings, though.
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

i think that for the first year in a long time the astros pitching isnt going to be as fantastic as it usually is
              i dont think clemens or pettite will come back and even if they do i predict that they wont perform as well as they have the last 2 years
              if their pitching struggles then they will not be that great of a team
              if their pitching does great they will be a playoff contender
              this team could win the nl central or come in 5th place, they look real unpredictable 2 me
              Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
              -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
              -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
              -Yogi Berra

Comment

Why I'd it that everyone seems to think that this overpaying pushes Houston over the ledge to a shoe win for the championship?

1. Lee did not kill Wrigley, Lee hit good off of the past pitchers in Wrigley!!!
                2. Lee's lack of defense is absolutely going to play a huge part in this already defensive poor team!!! Who are their gold glove winners again???
                3. Lee's body WILL NOT hold up the duration of his ugly assed contract!!! (Fact: Lee is making more money per year then Soriano!!!)
                4. Lee has not face Hill but one time in his career! As well as whoever we get to fill our massive pitching holes!
                5. Clemens and Petit will not return! One or the other will (nost likely Clemens) return. However their presence alone are not enough to over come their defence problems or their rotation problem!!!
                I am going to have to give this suggestiona 'False' rating!!!

Comment

The Astros will no doubt benefit from these signings. The only problem I have with it is that I feel they over paid Mr. Lee for his services.
                  Anways, Good move by the Astros.
                  Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Comment

Originally posted by Disgruntaledmarinerfan
                    The Astros will no doubt benefit from these signings. The only problem I have with it is that I feel they over paid Mr. Lee for his services.
                    Anways, Good move by the Astros.

Are you F'ing retarded? This kills the Astros maybe not this year but possibly the following year and definately the years following! By 08 he will be pushing 300 + pounds ...
                    Lee is way over rated and way over weight! Although this may have been the best move by JH all offseason! I am so pleased that we did not sign Jaba-Lee-Hut!!!

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X