New Rumor: Cubs going after Lugo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rumor: Cubs going after Lugo

Much to the chagrin of certain someones on this forum, Hendry, as it seems, is in hot pursuit of Julio Lugo, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays SS.

He would be the Cubs #2 hitter, and another threat on the basepaths as he is a big time threat to steal.

Huff's name was not mentioned, so it seems like the Cubs really do like Matt Murton. After all this Matt Murton hype, I personally cannot wait to see him play, so that I may see what everybody else sees in the guy. Otis is probably waiting for me to admit that he can hit so we'll see

Julio Lugo, starting Cubs SS? I like the sound of that.

This was brought to you by, one of the most reliable sources around, WSCR 670 The Score. Listen online even at work. http://www.670thescore.com/

Originally posted by NorthsidePride
    Much to the chagrin of certain someones on this forum, Hendry, as it seems, is in hot pursuit of Julio Lugo, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays SS.

He would be the Cubs #2 hitter, and another threat on the basepaths as he is a big time threat to steal.

Huff's name was not mentioned, so it seems like the Cubs really do like Matt Murton. After all this Matt Murton hype, I personally cannot wait to see him play, so that I may see what everybody else sees in the guy. Otis is probably waiting for me to admit that he can hit so we'll see

Julio Lugo, starting Cubs SS? I like the sound of that.

This was brought to you by, one of the most reliable sources around, WSCR 670 The Score. Listen online even at work. http://www.670thescore.com/
    Didnt they say the Cubs were about to get Furcal...

Soriano....
    Tejada???

There is no such thing as a "reliable rumor source" if it is reliable... then is has happened, and it is a "fact" not a "rumor"
    BELIEVE

Comment

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=murtoma01

Matt Murtons stats from last season..

Short season, but none the less there is what he did for us.
      BELIEVE

Comment

Hey there Hub. You misunderstood what I meant by reliable. A rumor of course, is just that, a rumor. When I say reliable, I mean that the rumor isn't made up, but that there is such thing going on. It's not some random lie to create a stir. It's hard to call it a fact because it hasn't come from their (Cubs Org.) mouth directly, so of course it will remain a "rumor". Yes, the Cubs are going after Lugo, and 670 is reliable in that they dont create rumors but report things that are actually going on.

Comment

I totally understand, I will reply in a PM to keep this thread on topic.

Good Day.
          BELIEVE

Comment

With Walker almost certainly gone, its looking like a Hairston/Cedeno MI combo, with Niefi subbing in way too often at either spot.

Signing Lugo would make it a Hairston/Lugo MI combo, with Niefi being Hairston's platoon partner and they probably see nearly equal time. Cedeno would be left on the bench to rot.

Lugo might be a "big time threat to steal", but hes certainly not a threat to do so at a successful rate. Actually, given his career SB/CS ratios, if he is batting in the 2 hole, I would rather he never attempt a steal with Lee hitting behind him.

Lugo has 49 errors at SS in the past two seasons. That number might go down a little bit with Lee's glove at 1st, but not much.

Since the knock on Walker is his defense, and Walker would be a much better 2 hole hitter than Lugo, I dont see how this fits what Hendry has been saying all offseason about wanting to improve the defense.

I've gone into great detail before about how Lugo is a bad fit for this team, and will cost more than he is worth. Nobody listened then, and I doubt anybody will listen now.

If Lugo is signed, I will sincerely hope that he exceeds my expectations, but I wouldnt put any money on it.
            Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

If Lugo is signed, I will sincerely hope that he exceeds my expectations, but I wouldnt put any money on it.
              Bet the house on it Sarcastic

Don't worry though, we'll find a way "not to" get a guy like Lugo h

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyD
                Don't worry though, we'll find a way "not to" get a guy like Lugo
                I certainly hope so
                Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Comment

From the organization that drafted Ben Christiansen...

This is the guy that Houston released because he beats his wife.

No, thanks.

Albert Belle put up the numbers, so you could sorta understand, but Julio Lugo?

Ugh.

Comment

Not worth it unless TB is giving him away, and they won't be. Cedeno will probably do just as well this year.
                    beware of the censorship police

Comment

Well I think it needs to be said that Lugo's career Fielding % is right in the middle of Nomar and Furcal's just under nomar, and just above Furcal.

Not to say they are the standard to be basing your decisions on...
                      Minor perspective... his career F% is .07 lower then Jeter's and only .10 lower then Ozzie Smith..

I think he would do just fine at short...

I know you said it in passing, but I wanted to say it again, having a gold glove target would help his case tremendously...

I agree with Burger eater... IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT! But they have a history of wanting too much for their players, that is the ONLY reason no one else has him now... or Huff..

Plus keep this in mind they just picked up his option for '06 I think it was somewhere around $5mil. so they have something planned for him...
                      BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyD
                        Bet the house on it Sarcastic

Don't worry though, we'll find a way "not to" get a guy like Lugo h
                        i certainly hope we dont really go after the guy. Why trade for him when Cedeno will likely do just as well?

Comment

No. I'm all in favor of this move...if it means no Neifi at SS/2B. Cedeno will be a starter. Be it 2B or SS. I just don't want any part of Neifi starting full time. There are enough question marks in the lineup: Murton, Cedeno, & Jones that if you add another quesiton in Neifi....oh boy. I'll put away that "W" Cubs flag that I got for Christmas. Because it won't be used all that often.
                          Witnessing a team doing a complete 180 since the 2003 playoffs...

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
                            Lugo has 49 errors at SS in the past two seasons. That number might go down a little bit with Lee's glove at 1st, but not much.
                            you're forgetting two things:

1. Tropicana Field
                            2. FPCT isn't that useful of a tool, especially when isolated.

Since the knock on Walker is his defense, and Walker would be a much better 2 hole hitter than Lugo, I dont see how this fits what Hendry has been saying all offseason about wanting to improve the defense.
                            because it'd probably leave Cedeno at short and Lugo at second.

I've gone into great detail before about how Lugo is a bad fit for this team, and will cost more than he is worth. Nobody listened then, and I doubt anybody will listen now.

i find you have the same irrational dislike of Lugo as most posters here had of Hairston last year...especially on defense.
                            RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
                            Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
                            Infamous butcher,
                            Angel of Death

Comment

I dont see how anyone expects Cedeno to get a fair chunk of playing time at either MI spot with Lugo/Neifi/Hairston all on the roster.

We all know Dusty loves the vets, and with 3 MI's as his disposal, Cedeno gets left out.

I dont see Lugo to be a defensive upgrade over Hairston, Niefi or Cedeno. I dont see Lugo to be an offensive upgrade over Walker or Cedeno, and possibly Hairston. So I dont see Lugo as an upgrade to the team. Factor in the unreasonable price tag the D-Rays slap on everybody, and Lugo looks even less attractive.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X