Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic
    Is that NL-only or the entire majors?

And at least Pierre has some talent for putting bat on ball and is able to somewhat overcome his inability to take a walk. Not that im suddenly all in favor of him, but he is at least an upgrade over what we had last season.
    majors...and it's out of 148 players.
    RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
    Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
    Infamous butcher,
    Angel of Death

Comment

Originally posted by trixta
      pierre/lugo 1-2 punch would be pretty good in my opinion...later guys
      good for about 175 runs if each plays all 162 games (without doing any research i'd guess that's about average). and 3.43 and 3.82 P/PA, which i know is slightly below average.

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
      Infamous butcher,
      Angel of Death

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlord
        majors...and it's out of 148 players.
        So its really all that different from the numbers I used.

Both Neifi and Corey are in the very bottom of the rankings
        Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

So its really all that different from the numbers I used.

Both Neifi and Corey are in the very bottom of the rankings
          yep, but it's far more accurate since it's not directly influenced by plate appearances.

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
          Infamous butcher,
          Angel of Death

Comment

If we get Lugo and I think we will, he will be the starting SS with Cedeno @ 2B. Neifi will fill in all over the place and Hairston will be reduced to mainly pinch hitting, of course this is only my opinion.

Comment

Stats aside...

The more games Neifi starts, the worse the team will be.

Is there no better alternative with fewer domestic battery charges than Julio Lugo?

Comment

Welcome Lipsander

Originally posted by Lipsander
                ...of course this is only my opinion.

That's what all of us are doing. Say it loud and say it proud!
                Last edited by Ravenlord; 01-13-2006, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Lugo talks cool, but deal may be far from dead

January 14, 2006

Team sources said Friday that the Cubs front office has not been in contact recently with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays about a rumored trade for shortstop Julio Lugo. But sources added the Cubs might still get involved with discussions about Lugo before pitchers and catchers report to spring training Feb. 15 in Mesa, Ariz.

Whether the Cubs end up trading second baseman Todd Walker will determine the eventual makeup of the middle-infield group. The Cubs haven't drawn much interest in Walker from other major-league clubs.

Insiders say the Cubs are seeking a defensive upgrade at second by trying to part with Walker, but they need to replace his offense. As a No. 2 hitter, Lugo would be valuable in the Cubs lineup. But in the judgment of some people in the Cubs organization, even if Lugo becomes a Cub, Ronny Cedeno is still the starting shortstop.

Manager Dusty Baker would have the option of starting Cedeno at second and Lugo at shortstop, while Neifi Perez backs them up. Baker said Friday that it's difficult to determine who might be his main No. 2 hitter next season behind new leadoff man Juan Pierre.

"It's probably Walker if Walk is playing,'' Baker said about his vacant No. 2 slot. "But I don't know yet. Probably 2, 5 and 8 are the spots in the lineup where it's going to take some time to determine.''

Mike Kiley

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/...t-cside14.html

Comment

I just think it's total BS that the Cubs aren't willing to have Todd Walker at second and batting second. He looks perfect there.

Comment

I just think it's total BS that the Cubs aren't willing to have Todd Walker at second and batting second. He looks perfect there.
                      Absolutely! they are going to need his bat!

Comment

his problem is lack of range and his glove isnt exactly stellar either. that is a deficiency that can be glaring.

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                          his problem is lack of range and his glove isnt exactly stellar either. that is a deficiency that can be glaring.

I can understand that, but I couldn't tell you how many times I saw Walk make diving plays and other great plays within the last couple years. I watch over 120 Cubs games a year and do not remember thinking, man another 2B could have made that play.

Comment

Lugo might be a "big time threat to steal", but hes certainly not a threat to do so at a successful rate. Actually, given his career SB/CS ratios, if he is batting in the 2 hole, I would rather he never attempt a steal with Lee hitting behind him.
                            So you don't think that 75%+ is good? He can steal 30+ bases, at a very good success rate - he may not be Beltran in that department, but who is? In fact, he had a better success rate than Beltran, with more than twice as many SB's last year! So if you don't like his running, then I think the that the issue is more that you just don't like base stealing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgartohof
                              So you don't think that 75%+ is good? He can steal 30+ bases, at a very good success rate - he may not be Beltran in that department, but who is? In fact, he had a better success rate than Beltran, with more than twice as many SB's last year! So if you don't like his running, then I think the that the issue is more that you just don't like base stealing at all.

I like base stealing just fine, as long as he isn't costing the team runs when he does it. And Lugo costs his team runs.

Lugo's SB/CS career totals :

'00 - 22/9
                              '01 - 12/11
                              '02 - 9/3
                              '03 - 12/4
                              '04 - 21/5
                              '05 - 39/11

So, exactly once in his career has he topped 30 SB's in a season, and averages only 19 a season. Saying he's good for 30+ is just plain wrong.

And 75% is the bare minimum for successful basestealing. That means if you are stealing at a lower percent than that, you are actually costing your team runs.

That's not my opinion, that's the Baseball Prospectus (Sheehan) opinion. This conversation has been had before in a different thread, and I don't feel like digging through it now, but someone said in there that, according to his research, its closer to 84%. Lugo has 115 SB's compared to 43 CS's. You don't have to be a math major to realize that is nowhere near 75%, much less 84%.

If you want to be shortsighted and only look at one year, knock yourself out. Just don't expect me or anyone with sense to agree with you.
                              Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

And 75% is the bare minimum for successful basestealing. That means if you are stealing at a lower percent than that, you are actually costing your team runs.

That's not my opinion, that's the Baseball Prospectus (Sheehan) opinion. This conversation has been had before in a different thread, and I don't feel like digging through it now, but someone said in there that, according to his research, its closer to 84%. Lugo has 115 SB's compared to 43 CS's. You don't have to be a math major to realize that is nowhere near 75%, much less 84%.

I've heard from a few people that it's like 73% to 77%... in this range, you don't cost your team runs, but you don't gain any runs either...

and the guy who said it's closer to 84% has to be wrong... there's only like 2 guys in their career who had better percentage than that.
                                "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
                                Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
                                Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
                                Bo Jackson

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X