Is Soriano Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Soriano Overrated?

I was looking at some of Alfonso Soriano's stats and I think he may be overrated by a lot. I knew we overspent for him, but by looking at his stats it's hard to believe he is worth $136 million. He set a career high for OBP in 2006, but it was only .351, pretty mediocre for a leadoff hitter. In 2005, his OBP was .309 a very low mark and his career OBP is .325. His 2006 OBP was worse than many average players such as Todd Walker, Juan Rivera, and David DeJesus. I am currently reading Moneyball, which puts a lot of weight on OBP, so I may think it is more important than it is, but having a career .325 OBP isn't a good sign for a $17M a year leadoff hitter.
    Hitting is timing, pitching is upsetting timing.
    -Warren Spahn

It's a round ball and a round bat and you gotta hit it square.
    -Pete Rose

Good pitching always beats good hitting...and vice versa.
    -Yogi Berra

Yes, Soriano is overrated.

Comment

Very overrated.

The only reason his OBP was .351 last year was due to the 16 IBB's he got, which was more than he had throughout his entire career. I'd expect that OBP to fall below .330 this year, because pitchers won't be intentionally walking him this year with Lee and Aramis behind him. He rarely walks, which is a bad thing for a leadoff guy.

He also steals bases poorly. Sure he steals alot of them, but he gets caught a lot as well, and with Lee and Aramis there to drive him in, he would be better off never attempting a SB this year.
      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Incredibly overrated.
        2009 World Series Champions, The New York Yankees

Comment

might I ask... Is there a difference than overpaid and overrated?
          BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub
            Absolutely. Dontrelle Willis isn't overpaid for a pitcher of his quality, but he's certainly overrated -- people think he's much, much better than he is, but he's actually not paid an inordinate amount of money. Mike Hampton is VASTLY overpaid, but he's not overrated -- everybody agrees that he's a mediocre pitcher who can't stay healthy, which is exactly what he is.
            "Simply put, the passion, interest and tradition surrounding baseball in New York is unmatched."

Sean McAdam, ESPN.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElHalo
              Absolutely. Dontrelle Willis isn't overpaid for a pitcher of his quality, but he's certainly overrated -- people think he's much, much better than he is, but he's actually not paid an inordinate amount of money. Mike Hampton is VASTLY overpaid, but he's not overrated -- everybody agrees that he's a mediocre pitcher who can't stay healthy, which is exactly what he is.
              Well I do not think he is as much overrated than he is overpaid.
              BELIEVE

Comment

Well I do not think he is as much overrated than he is overpaid.
                He's alot of both.
                Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Comment

I think Soriano is over rated. I dont even consider him the top FA. But, what can we do, we gotta hope he can come in big. Hes still in his prime, so he could have another big year or two, but I certainly am not looking forward to 2009 and beyond, we gonna need to win now, or it wont matter what happens, his contracty will kill us.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

It's kind of like a cause and effect, when a player is overrated, they get overpaid. That's what happend in this case with Soriano.
                    -Warren Spahn

-Pete Rose

-Yogi Berra

Comment

Although his OBP wasn't great. Why do you say he's over rated? Name another 40/40/40 player in history. That's right, you can't, it's never happened before.

Comment

Getting on base is probably the most important thing in baseball and Soriano doesn't do it very well, especially for a leadoff hitter. Players like Kevin Mench and Joe Randa have higher career OBP. I can't name another 40/40/40 player, but I can name tons of players with much higher OBPs.
                        -Warren Spahn

-Pete Rose

-Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                          Although his OBP wasn't great. Why do you say he's over rated? Name another 40/40/40 player in history. That's right, you can't, it's never happened before.
                          You answered your own question with your next two sentences.

Comment

If Soriano wasn't a lead off hitter, would you still consider him as over rated?

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                              If Soriano wasn't a lead off hitter, would you still consider him as over rated?
                              Yes, I already mentioned how poor his OBP is.
                              -Warren Spahn

-Pete Rose

-Yogi Berra

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X