Lou on Murton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou on Murton

Lou says Murton should worry about learning to hit before he worries about power.

I guess Murton's batting averages were all results of luck.

Murton should get a seat cushion this year, cuz he's gonna be sitting a lot under Lou.

I maybe I am always looking at things from a positive eye... But I see that as Lou saying it is not needed for our left fielder to produce power. Which is the norm for most LF'ers.

I just see that as Lou saying just hit....
    BELIEVE

Comment

"You have to learn to hit before you can develop your power," Piniella says. "If you can hit to the gaps, then you can build up to where you are hitting home runs."

This is Lou's quote from an article I read on Yahoo.com's baseball frontpage.

He uses the word "learn," which to me means that he thinks Murton can't hit, or at least can't hit to the gaps, otherwise if he thinks Murton already can hit, why would Murton need to learn to hit?

Lou should have said something like "Murton just needs to focus on hitting to the gaps, and the power will come" if he is just trying to encourage Murton.

Comment

I think if you asked Matt Murton himself...

Are you still learning how to hit in the big leagues?

His answer would be a quick/simple reply. "yes"

Matt has only played one full season, and honestly he had as many bad streaks as he did good last year. To say he is done learning how to hit in the majors would (in my opinion) be a bit of a stretch.

Once again, I think Lou's reason for this is to say something in the lines of "we are not needing power from his spot in the lineup" And I totally agree. With our lineup we need more of what Mark Grace offered up throughout the 90's... hits... gapping doubles... get on and let the others power hit to get the runs across.

I don't get it... I am a HUGE fan of Matty Murt. But why do so many fans twist EVERYTHING to make it appear that he is not getting his fair shot?

To me he isnt a power guy, and I too do not want him to try to edit anything he did from last year. Don't take a chance on messing up what he worked so hard for last year... High OBP should be his main goal.
        BELIEVE

Comment

That's odd because that seems to be what he was best at doing last year. Ever since his first callup he has consistently sprayed his hits all over the field.

Murton predicted 20 HRs for himself this season. That seems like a good goal, and one that he definitely has a shot at.
          A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

His numbers the last two years look pretty good to me. Players have good and bad streaks. Except for the elite hitters, if you look at monthly splits for most hitters, there'll be peaks and valleys. It doesn't mean Murton doesn't know how to hit. If he doesn't know how to hit, then 85% (a conservative estimate) of MLB hitters don't know how to hit.

I'd rather have him than Jacque Jones.

I wonder if Jacque Jones has learned to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin Joe Giradio

I'd rather have him than Jacque Jones.

I wonder if Jacque Jones has learned to hit.
              Perfect example.

Jones hits for more power and he strikes out more because of it.

Why does it upset you because a manager says he does not want the kid to try to produce power?

Lou (in every interview I personally read/hear) has ALWAYS spoke highly of Murton and his ability, Sadly Matt does not hit from the left side.

And those who have "learned" to hit have less peaks and valleys in their stats..
              BELIEVE

Comment

The addition of Cliff Floyd was a kiss of death to Big Red. Every manager wants to put a veteran power lefty in his lineup. And Murton is the casuality, especially since he plays a "power position".
                What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                Line Drive: .356
                HBP: .342
                Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                Intentional Walk: .176
                Outfield Fly: .035
                Groundball: -.101
                Bunts: -.103
                Infield Fly: -.243
                Strikeout: -.287
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

You are right Bob. I just hope that Murton survives the Cliff Floyd experiment and doesn't get traded away. Floyd isn't going to be here forever, Murton could be. So please Hendry, don't pull that trigger mid season.

Comment

Not every guy in the lineup needs to hit for power. We have plenty of power guys now so what we need is guys that get on base and have a high OBP. We need Murton to be a doubles machine and be careful not to let him get caught up in Sammy Sosa disease like Patterson did.
                    Tinker, Evers, Chance & Steinfeldt: The nucleus of our elite World Series teams!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TRIPxCORE
                      Not every guy in the lineup needs to hit for power. We have plenty of power guys now so what we need is guys that get on base and have a high OBP. We need Murton to be a doubles machine and be careful not to let him get caught up in Sammy Sosa disease like Patterson did.
                      That is the exact point I was trying to make.
                      BELIEVE

Comment

A Floyd Murton platoon would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Joltin Joe Giradio
                          A Floyd Murton platoon would be great.
                          Not if Floyd continues with his crap-tastic defense.

Comment

Originally posted by otis89
                            Not if Floyd continues with his crap-tastic defense.
                            not that murton has been exactly stellar either....

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                              not that murton has been exactly stellar either....
                              Without Pagan to help out with defense, our outfield's going to be pretty ugly. Hopefully they'll make up for it with their bats.
                              A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X