Jeff Weaver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver is one of the few remaining decent free agent starting pitchers. I have heard nothing about the Cubs being interested, so don't even consider this a rumor.

I just wondered if you would be happy with a Weaver signing or unhappy.

As it says in the following article, Weaver could have a great season if everything "clicked". His BB/9 were at a career best last season (1.73), and his K/9 were at a career best as well (6.31). But, he gave up 35 homeruns in 35 starts.
    http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...g-jeff-weaver/

My belief is that the more quality starters we have, the better off we are (duh...). But seriously, he couldn't hurt the team. That would mean Zambrano, Prior, Maddux, Weaver, and Rusch would start for the first month of the season (or however long it takes Wood to come back). Then replace Rusch with Wood, and we're set. It allows for a lot more flexibility in terms of pitching staff. We'd have 2 or 3 guys (if you want to count Dempster) who could put up quality starts if they were needed in case of injury.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Well I still say we need one more fair starter...

But Weaver seems to have minor anger issues... no?

BELIEVE

Comment

Anger, or hunger?

I have never really followed Weaver, so I don't know of any anger incidents he's had, but one could say the same for Carlos for his numerous ejections, talking to himself, beaning Jim Edmonds, etc. If Hendry and Dusty were willing to pursue Milton Bradley, why not Weaver?
      A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Code:
        Home	Year	ERA	IP	K/BB	BB/9	K/9	H/9	HR/9	WHIP	OBA	SLG	BABIP
        DET	1999	5.55	163.2	1.97	3.08	6.27	9.68	1.48	1.42	350	478	296
        DET	2000	4.32	200	2.52	2.34	6.12	9.23	1.17	1.29	321	432	289
        DET	2001	4.08	229.1	2.11	2.67	5.97	9.22	0.75	1.32	326	409	295
        DET	2002	3.18	121.2	2.21	2.44	5.55	8.28	0.30	1.19	304	347	278
        NYY	2002	4.04	78	3.17	1.73	6.58	9.35	1.38	1.23	300	437	283
        NYY	2003	5.99	159.1	1.90	2.65	5.25	11.92	0.90	1.62	371	481	343
        LAD	2004	4.01	220	2.01	2.74	6.26	8.96	0.78	1.30	323	399	293
        LAD	2005	4.22	224	3.57	1.73	6.31	8.84	1.41	1.17	305	435	273
        -	Total	4.44	1396	2.31	2.46	6.04	9.41	1.02	1.32	326	428	295
        a HR/9 leap like what Weaver had last year in a very pitcher friendly park is usually indicitive of bad things coming in the next year or two...especially when having that lucky of a BABIP.

and beware of pitchers who when being slightly BABIP lucky (every year except 99, 01, and 04) is still only putting up average to just slightly better than average numbers.

even if there were no concerning trends, he's definetly not worth the 4 years and $40 million that Boras is demanding.
        RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
        Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
        Infamous butcher,
        Angel of Death

Comment

You've just hit the nail on the head. I don't mind Weaver, but he certainly isn't worth that kind of coin.
          I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

Why bother with a Scott Bora$$ client??
            Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
              because they can hang themselves and be forced to take a 1-year $2.95 million contract to reesatblish value...the thing that happened to Kevin Millwood last year.
              RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
              Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
              Infamous butcher,
              Angel of Death

Comment

Boras will bleed any team dry that goes after Weaver. His numbers in no way warrant $10m a year.
                MY HOUSTON ASTROS BLOG

Comment

Better than Maddux at this point?

Not my money...sign him up!

Comment

Truer words have ne'er been posted!
                    I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a Hell of an Engineer!

Comment

I don't know why Cub fans fret so much about Boras. If you haven't noticed Hendry gets along fine with Scott "The Devil" Boras, definately better than most GMs do.

That being said, he's still very likely to get Weaver a contract to his liking (probably not 10 million a year for 4 years) although it probably won't be where Jeff wants to go. And don't consider the Cubs a viable option.

On a side bar, last year Weaver gave up the most homers to opposing pitchers in the MLB with three.
                      Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 01-19-2006, 08:38 AM.
                      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                      Line Drive: .356
                      HBP: .342
                      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                      Intentional Walk: .176
                      Outfield Fly: .035
                      Groundball: -.101
                      Bunts: -.103
                      Infield Fly: -.243
                      Strikeout: -.287
                      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Well, Jeff signed a 2 year / $8.4 mil. deal. I don't know why we can spend $2 mil. to keep Neifi but not go out and sign a top, or even decent free agent.

Comment

Originally posted by E.Banks#14
                          Well, Jeff signed a 2 year / $8.4 mil. deal. I don't know why we can spend $2 mil. to keep Neifi but not go out and sign a top, or even decent free agent.
                          because he isnt a very good pitcher? he is a flyball pitcher and do we really want another one of those at wrigley?

(hint: no we dont)

Comment

It is good that we didnt sign him, unless he has a good year, and then it is bad.:atthepc

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500
                              because he isnt a very good pitcher? he is a flyball pitcher and do we really want another one of those at wrigley?

(hint: no we dont)
                              I'm saying, why waste money on a player who plays at a position that the team is very deep at instead of signing a player, for just twice the dollar amount, at a position where help is needed.

Sometimes I just don't understand this organization. h

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X