Review of Mark Prior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of Mark Prior

Prior, on the other hand, was a little "off." Radar guns clocked him in the low 80s.

The low 80's? I hope the velocity comes with more time on the hill, but wow, the low 80's? Here's the rest of the article.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=chc

It's early in the spring so the low velocity and poor location shouldn't draw too big of red flags. Reports of his velocity in the game was 83-87 mph with most in the pitches at 85. He said he held back alittle, and I'll take his word in this case, but his next two appearances will be more telling.
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
      It's early in the spring so the low velocity and poor location shouldn't draw too big of red flags. Reports of his velocity in the game was 83-87 mph with most in the pitches at 85. He said he held back alittle, and I'll take his word in this case, but his next two appearances will be more telling.
      Yep, the next two outings will be key. if he shows significant improvement next time out, then we can relax a bit.

Comment

Why would two outing before March 15th be a big deal?? I'd be more interested in what he does the last week of camp.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST
          Why would two outing before March 15th be a big deal?? I'd be more interested in what he does the last week of camp.
          In his next two outings if he doesn't improve (or if he diminishes) his velocity/location, he could be shutdown and never make it to that last week of camp.
          It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
            In his next two outings if he doesn't improve (or if he diminishes) his velocity/location, he could be shutdown and never make it to that last week of camp.
            I think the sooner the Cubs say goodbye to Prior the better off they will be. If I were them I'd dump him now and try to get a young arm or two into their farm system. You can spin his first pre-season start anyway you want to but the fact is his 84 to 86 mph fastball WAS NOT a good sign. Not with the way the last few years have gone for him. I said it here last year that it was a mistake for the Cubs to hang on to him but apparently the Cub organization is still enamored with him.

Prior will never be a top tier pitcher. I think Wood is going to have a productive career as a reliever but I think Prior is done.

Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think so. Hes going to end up on injured reserve again this year, just watch.
            "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I would get rid of both Prior and Wood. If Wood did not have that 20 strike out game then he would of been gone along time ago. They are a waste of money to keep. We will see what Wood does in the bullpen.

Comment

Originally posted by CHI-TOWN SOX 2005
                I would get rid of both Prior and Wood. If Wood did not have that 20 strike out game then he would of been gone along time ago. They are a waste of money to keep. We will see what Wood does in the bullpen.
                Neither of these guys' salaries are very high at all at the moment...there's no reason to get rid of either of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut
                  I think the sooner the Cubs say goodbye to Prior the better off they will be. If I were them I'd dump him now and try to get a young arm or two into their farm system. You can spin his first pre-season start anyway you want to but the fact is his 84 to 86 mph fastball WAS NOT a good sign. Not with the way the last few years have gone for him. I said it here last year that it was a mistake for the Cubs to hang on to him but apparently the Cub organization is still enamored with him.

Prior will never be a top tier pitcher. I think Wood is going to have a productive career as a reliever but I think Prior is done.

Maybe I'm wrong but I dont think so. Hes going to end up on injured reserve again this year, just watch.
                  i think poor location was much more troublesome than lower velocity. still, its early in camp and you will have these problems. Will he end up on the disabled list sometime this year? probably so. his history suggests that it is. I think his mental makeup will decide a lot of the outcome this year. If he bounces back from this poor start with a solid outing next time out, it'll be a better sign. if he doesnt, it is somewhat worrying.

Still, if they are not depending on prior (and they aren't really) then if he spends a lot of time on the DL it wont hurt as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Butcher
                    Neither of these guys' salaries are very high at all at the moment...there's no reason to get rid of either of them.
                    Exactly, Prior is due 3.585 million this year can earn an additional .30million if he reaches 30 GS. After this year, he has another year of arbitration before he becomes a free agent. Prior's price is cheap, very cheap, for the POTENTIAL that's he shown (despite injury) especially counting in that he's still just 26 years old.

As for Wood, his base pay is only 1.75 million, but he can earn an additional 4.75 million based on preformance: days on the active roster, games pitched, and games finished. And he can earn another 1.15 million in award bonuses.
                    Details:

2M based on games: 0.3M for 40, 0.35M for 45, 0.4M for 50, 0.45M for 55, 0.5M for 60

2M based on games finished: 0.2M for 25, 0.25M for 30, 0.3M for 35, 0.35M for 40, 0.4M for 45, 0.5M for 50

0.75M based on days on active roster: 0.25M each for 90, 120 & 150

Award bonuses: 0.25M for Comeback Player of Year, 0.25M for Rolaids award (0.15M for 2nd or 3rd), 0.1M for club leader in Rolaids, 0.25M for WS MVP, 0.15M for LCS MVP, .075M for Gold Glove, .075M for All Star

If he accomplishes his performance bonuses, he'll easily be worth his salary.

Comment

Prior's low velocity isn't a good thing IMO. Wood worked in the off season, his seems to be there, but I gotta believe we are in for alot of shoulder quirks this year with Mark. Kinda like Woody had last year. At least ( it looks like ) Woody may be in for a healthy start. I'm pulling for him hard. I hate to see a class guy go through all the crap he has with his shoulder. I had to rehab a MCL tear during my senior baseball season. Rehab sucks bad. I can't imagine how Woody feels, being threw 9 million rehab go rounds.
                      Last edited by Lipsander; 03-07-2007, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
                        Prior's low velocity isn't a good thing IMO. Wood worked in the off season, his seems to be there, but I gotta believe we are in for alot of shoulder quirks this year with Mark. Kinda like Woody had last year. At least ( it looks like ) Woody may be in for a healthy start. I'm pulling for him hard. I hate to see a class guy go through all the crap he has with his shoulder. I had to rehab a MCL tear during my senior baseball season. Rehab sucks bad. I can't imagine how Woody feels, being threw 9 million rehab go rounds.
                        I am sure his rehap was much better than yours. His paycheck had to cushion the shoulder at night... That makes for a better nights rest.

All joking aside, I too hope Wood can contribute. We need him to.

But in my opinion we need Mark Prior just as bad... if not worse. So I will keep my fingers crossed and continue to tell all the anti-cubs fans that "nah, we dont need him, this year we aint even depending on his arm!" When I know deep down inside, we do need him... badly!
                        BELIEVE

Comment

I also know that we need him. People that say we do not do not understand we need that extra "good" to "great" pitcher. I just hope that he comes back to be that, but we'll see.
                          Last edited by Lipsander; 03-07-2007, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Well hes itching saturday, it will certainly be a good sign to see him pitch twice in a week. That is what Im psyched about, how often does he pitch twice in a week, and its ST. He could do something good this year if he focusues and doesnt get hurt (sad we're depending on that). And dont forget, in 2005 he made 27 starts and a bulk of the ones he missed was because of the line drive off his elbow, cant fault him for that one, could've happened to anyone.
                            "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Yeah you do "need him". Even more so you need a #2 starter, the kind that will pitch 200+ innings and give 15+ wins.

Will Lilly or Marquis be that starter? Or will they be the 4'th or 5'th guy in the rotation? History has shown neither will "probably" be that guy, tho Marquis will probably have a strong season, "thats just gut feeling". Will any of the kids step up? Where is Wade Miller at?

Whats important is the Cubs will be better positioned to survive another inevitable Prior meltdown. There were two important things that happened recently in the continuing saga of Prior and Wood. #1, is that Prior threw sub-85 mph stuff, and #2 is that Wood threw 93 mph stuff.

With opening day only a few weeks away those figures are dramatically important. Losing that kind of velocity at that level of baseball is huge. Why do you think the Sox got rid of Garcia? I dont care if he won 17 games last year. His velocity was down a consistent 5 mph all season long and he threw the worst era of his career. If it wasnt for the RBI machine backing him up he would have been lucky to win 12 games. And a guy who pitches 88 mph and cant hold runners on is a lot worse then a guy who throws 93 mph and cant hold runners on.

The bottom line is speed counts. I know it, you know it, Garcia knows it, the Sox know it, Prior knows it, and the Cubs know it.

You can bet Piniella knows it!
                              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X