Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mark Prior make Opening Day roster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Mark Prior make Opening Day roster?

Does anyone see Mark Prior making it to the Opening Day roster? I really really fail to see him there. We are halfway through spring training and he hasnt shown me anything that makes me feel comfortable with him being on our team.
    Yes
    16.67%
    No
    83.33%

The poll is expired.

"I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
    -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Injuries are getting to him. He's so young too. He didn't have a good season last year. Im still not sure if the Cubs will keep him or not for the Opening Day roster.
    New York Mets 2007!!!!- 4-1 :gt

EIS SPRING TRAVEL TEAM 0-0

Comment

He'll start in AAA, get some work done and be back on our club once Wade Miller starts to suck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander
        He'll start in AAA, get some work done and be back on our club once Wade Miller starts to suck it up.
        Miller's not a given yet for the 5th spot in the rotation. Angel Guzman has put himself in the mix, as he'll take the hill against the White Sox today. We may not even use a 5th man until the start of May.

As for Prior, it looks like his confidence is down, way down, along with his velocity. With the news that he'll start a minor league game today, I'm pretty sure he's headed for Iowa. If he can get his velocity up, and a spot opens on the ML roster, then he would be one of a few candidates to get the call.
        Last edited by E.Banks#14; 03-18-2007, 07:48 AM.
        A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

He's fallen so far, hopefully he can get back to form in Iowa.
          -Jibbs

When we do it they fall off, fall off
          When they look at my ride,
          you see the doors fall off
          And the wheels look flat,
          trunk so heavy in the back
          Got the speakers in the front,
          they be sitting on my lap

Hit me on the down low
          My articles
          My Space

Comment

Well Prior made a step in the right direction in his minor league game against AA players. In 4 IP, he allowed 1 hit, walked 2, struck out 4 and hit a batter. He was hitting higher on the gun (85-88 mph, top @ 90) in his previous outings plus he was throwing his breaking balls with command.

Depending on where he starts in his next outing (and how he does) he could still make the Opening Day roster.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Prior may take a extra week or two to get ready for the season, but he will end up on the starting rotation. Also, Prior will end up winning the comeback player of the year. He just has to right himself. His command is getting better and his speed is building up. He will get it figured out. This being his walk year, he has too much $$$ to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by cpomeroy
                This being his walk year, he has too much $$$ to lose.
                Prior is still arbitration eligible next year. He's a free agent the following year.

Cub free agents next year are: Barrett, Floyd, Izturis, Wood, Miller, Ward, and Zambrano if they don't get his deal done soon.
                It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Does anyone think of Rick Ankiel when the hear about Prior? Thye are both similar in ways. They both had a tremendous first full season. They both got hyped up in the playoffs. They both had bad experiences in the playoffs (obviouslly Ankiel much more than Prior, but its could have hit harder mentally for Prior) and then they both just started falling off the face of the earth. Of course Prior still pitched in the majors the years after, but not with the same effect he had in 2003.
                  "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                  -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

Prior is done! Oh he'll pitch again, he'll pitch for the Cubs again, but this will be his last year in Chicago because the Cubs have a head coach now who has no patience for the "wait till Wood and Prior come back" fantasy that has become the face of Cubdom for the last 3 years. If I had a nickle for every time I heard that phrase I could retire.

If you cant see the writing on the wall for Prior then you are an eternal optimist. And probably for Wood too. Both got far more support then they deserved, especially Prior.

He might win 8 or 10 games this year, with the run support the Cubs will be able to give him. But Prior will never be a 15+ game winner again and the patience of Cubdom will finally run our for him in 2007.
                    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I agree. I dont see Prior doing anything special again. I see him as a starter never for a good team again and only being able to start on teams like the Royals and Devil Rays.
                      -Rogers Hornsby-

-Rogers Hornsby-

Comment

Is everyone forgetting that Mark Prior is only 26 years old and has already started 109 games with 680 1/3 IP under his belt. He's never gone under the knife, hasn't had a serious injury, and to write him off is completely ignorant. In comparision, Rich Hill is 6 months older than him and only has 20 starts in the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento
                          Rich Hill is 6 months older than him (Prior) and only has 20 starts in the big leagues.

I was going to comment on the same fact! HAHA Nice!
                          BELIEVE

Comment

Is everyone forgetting that Mark Prior is only 26 years old and has already started 109 games with 680 1/3 IP under his belt. He's never gone under the knife, hasn't had a serious injury, and to write him off is completely ignorant. In comparision, Rich Hill is 6 months older than him and only has 20 starts in the big leagues.
                            Do you think he will make Opening Day roster then?
                            -Rogers Hornsby-

-Rogers Hornsby-

Comment

I dont know exactly what your Rich Hill comparison is supposed to mean? Hill is no Prior and Prior is no Hill. About the only thing they have in common is that neither has pitched a lot of innings for most of their short careers. At least when Hill is diagnosed with an injury it is fixed, he rehabs, and then he goes on from there.

Exactly what is wrong with Mark Prior? Does anyone know? Does he know? Or is he just a p-u-s-s-y? Or, is he actually a tough guy who wasnt meant to play Pro baseball? When a player goes for years with mysterious injuries that nobody can really diagnose, nobody can fix, "he" cant work thru, and the Cubs can never really explain??? Well when all that happens then its time to bet another horse.

Lou Piniella isn't part of the "Prior/Wood fantasy world" here in Chicago. These two are either going to show up to work and perform or they will be elsewhere. That was the real message of sending Prior down to a minor league assignment. Piniella has no interests in fantasies. He is determined to end the WS drought on the north side no matter what.

Its very possible Prior never pitches in a Cub uniform again.
                              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X