Knowledge of the Manager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowledge of the Manager

I read every article on www.chicagocubs.com and have for a few years now. I get the impression that Lou is really intelligent in the aspect of baseball situations and coaching it. I never got that impression from Dusty. Do you guys see this? This following portion was from this article --> http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=chc

Second baseman Ryan Theriot's decision to throw home in the sixth inning to try to get a runner, a play that didn't work, didn't impress Piniella. "With the infield back, three-run lead, give them the run, get the out and get out of the inning," Piniella said. "The idea was good [to throw home]. The one thing in your favor in baseball are outs. There's no clock, but there are outs. You get outs and it diminishes chances of scoring."

This isn't the only instance, but its the most recent in my reading.

Originally posted by Lipsander
    I read every article on www.chicagocubs.com and have for a few years now. I get the impression that Lou is really intelligent in the aspect of baseball situations and coaching it. I never got that impression from Dusty. Do you guys see this? This following portion was from this article --> http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/art...=.jsp&c_id=chc

This isn't the only instance, but its the most recent in my reading.
    I think that is an example of "fundamental baseball" Even Dan Plesac (TV colorman subbing for Brenly) commented on what "Lou would say to Theriot between innings" And sure enough when they came back from the break the cameras replayed Lou and Theriot chatting in the Dugout and Dan said almost word for word what Lou said in that quote you provided.

It is just fundamentals.. Now I am not saying Lou is not smart when it comes to things about baseball, but heck even I knew that, and Lou is much smarter than me...
    BELIEVE

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X