Cubs have been sold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic View Post
    And I think he cares about money more. People don't get rich by not caring about money.

With any sports team, the best way to make money is to put people in the seats. Selling tickets = making money. Selling tickets to uber-pimp luxury boxes = making more money. I don't see any uber-pimp luxury boxes at Wrigley, and that's not likely to change.

In the Mavericks case, he needed to create a fanbase. That meant winning/him acting a fool and getting on TV. In the Cubs case, the fanbase is decidedly there. People have been in the seats for as long as I can remember, winning or not.

The idea that he would just start throwing money into the payroll just doesn't fly with me, because that's not really going to make him any more money.

It's only one reason that I think there's a very slim chance of Cuban buying the Cubs, and it's a pretty strong one.

I don't see the landmark people just handing Cuban the keys and saying "Go nuts kid."
    cuban cars more about winning and putting the fans first, than money. he's got plenty, and wont mind spending it.
    Southlake Carroll Dragons Football
    National Champs '04, '05, '06
    State Champs '88, '92, '93, '02, '04, '05, '06

Comment

Originally posted by Southlake CubsFan View Post
      cuban cars more about winning and putting the fans first, than money. he's got plenty, and wont mind spending it.
      See, putting the fans first tells me he cares more about money, because the fans are how he makes money.
      Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Sarcastic View Post
        See, putting the fans first tells me he cares more about money, because the fans are how he makes money.
        i guess. but how he does it, it shows he wants them to be happy. and putting a winner together is part of putting the fans first..
        Southlake Carroll Dragons Football
        National Champs '04, '05, '06
        State Champs '88, '92, '93, '02, '04, '05, '06

Comment

Originally posted by Southlake CubsFan View Post
          i guess. but how he does it, it shows he wants them to be happy. and putting a winner together is part of putting the fans first..
          It's not about putting the fans first, it's about putting fans in seats.

He had to go over the top to get a solid fanbase for the Mavericks. He wouldn't have to do that for the Cubs, that fanbase has been and always will be there.
          Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X