Stony on the SCORE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stony on the SCORE

Did anyone catch Steve Stone on the SCORE radio this afternoon? The new owners bringing him back in some meaningful way would be huge for this organization. Just listening to this guy again makes me re-appreciate just how much he knows about the game.

And it really is a reminder of how the MacPhail/Hendry/Baker triumvirate, and Tribune et al, ran down this organization. Just listening to Steve's opinions on rebuilding the farm system, strengthening scouting, stressing mechanics and execution...ect is a fresh breath of air for Cubdom. When the Gang of Four ran Steve out of town was, for me, the lowest point I ever felt towards the Cubs.

Steve is all about the game and not about slick marketing and spin. I think the Cubs need him back in the organization in a meaningful way. Hopefully the new owners will fire slick Jim Hendry right away and Stony will find a spot somewheres. With all the new moves, and the hiring of Piniella, the Cubs should be able to put themselves in position to win consistently.

Like Kenny Williams has done on the South Side. Steve has a winning formula when you listen to him. The guy knows baseball.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut View Post
    The guy knows baseball.
    So a broadcaster who knows the game automatically has what it takes to be the GM of a team? Does he even want to get into that aspect of the game? I have never heard him express any interest outside of broadcasting.

Reading his book, it seems that is what he wants to do... is broadcast.
    BELIEVE

Comment

and who is Kenny Williams again?
      BELIEVE

Comment

I dont know if he can GM or not but I like hearing him cover games. I never really understood the merker/baker/stoney/Alou fight. It seemed alittle immature to me IMO. Regaurdless of whose fault it is it really is a shame that it happened.

Comment

I love listening to Stoney and agree that he is very baseball smart, as far as the GM thing goes. It's 7 games into the season, let's see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by CubsHub View Post
            So a broadcaster who knows the game automatically has what it takes to be the GM of a team? Does he even want to get into that aspect of the game? I have never heard him express any interest outside of broadcasting.

Reading his book, it seems that is what he wants to do... is broadcast.
            I remember Stone saying publicly beforehand that he could do the job of a general manager, actually I'm sure it was on the Score when I still lived in Chicago (well before 2005). Of course this was shortly after his firing from WGN and all ties were cut with the Cubs. If memory serves me correctly, he stated his goal after leaving the Cubs was to find himself a front-office job (one he felt the Cubs squeezed him out of). But like many young rookies, Stevie didn't want to pay is dues and work his way up through a system, he wanted a front office job handed to him, thinking he's earned by his broadcasting/body of work. Like many mainstays after their prime abilities, they lash out at the hand that feeds them. Stone was no exception, trying to promote his techniques to young pitchers that were unwilling to listen/ didn't believe in his methods. Stone is best served as a coach but I doubt the NL Chicago gives him any chance to succeed, as he's burned too many bridges.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

In the end you have to ask yourself, "what does it take to be a good GM"? Do you have to be a good Politician? A good salesman? A good manager? Or just a good baseball man with a vision?

Stone is "a good baseball man with a vision" in my opinion. He's a big believer in the farm system when it comes to consistent winning, most of all with bringing as many good young arms into the mix as possible.

And the only ones with whom he burned the bridges were burned were the ones who are on the way out, or gone. Like Baker. Stone was right to criticize that 2004 team, which was gifted enough to go all the way. And as far as the GM thing goes does anyone doubt Hendry is going to be fired? I dont.

Kenny Williams is the South side GM who's track record is 6 .500 or better seasons in a row including a World Series win. What impresses me about both him and Stone is that both are concerned with teams down the line and not just this year. Steve is a big believer in the "build from within" method, which I am a believer in as well.
              "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                Stone is best served as a coach but I doubt the NL Chicago gives him any chance to succeed, as he's burned too many bridges.
                no he hasnt as the one bridge he definitely hasnt burned is with McDonough. Everyone elses opinion really doesnt matter besides the president and the worst of the dissidents are gone (remlinger, Mercker, McPhail) and Wood will be gone after this year.

as for WSN, Hendry will likely be fired even if they do make the playoffs. Comes with the territory of new ownership.

Comment

Stoney is a knowledgble baseball man. I'll give him that. I would like to see him in a GM role.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X