Cubs' Sold on Vitters as 2007 Draft Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs' Sold on Vitters as 2007 Draft Pick

The Draft is approaching shortly (June 7-8th) but it's becoming very evident the Cubs have their eyes set on one individual with their 3rd overall pick in the upcoming draft. Tampa is a lock to draft lefty Vanderbilt starter David Price, while the Royals are wrestling between Georgia Tech's catcher Matt Weiters, North Carolina State's Andrew Brackman, and New Jersey high school righty Rick Porcello. My money, just like it was last year is that the Royals go for Weiters. And last year I would have said that Brackman would likely be the Cubs pick. Yet Andrew has looked very raw this year and will take awhile to develop. Now it's looking very likely that the Cubs will pick the purest hitter in the draft with the highest potential, Josh Vitters.

Here's a breakdown on Vitters:

Read the Rest of the Article
    What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
    Line Drive: .356
    HBP: .342
    Non-Intentional Walk: .315
    Intentional Walk: .176
    Outfield Fly: .035
    Groundball: -.101
    Bunts: -.103
    Infield Fly: -.243
    Strikeout: -.287
    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

I hope the Royals don't pick Weiters. After watching him take BP and play last year at the CWS, I'd love to see him in a Cubs uniform.

From what I've heard though, Vitters wouldn't be too bad either

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo34 View Post
      I hope the Royals don't pick Weiters. After watching him take BP and play last year at the CWS, I'd love to see him in a Cubs uniform.

From what I've heard though, Vitters wouldn't be too bad either
      If Weiters is still available, he's my favorite pick. He's got good upside, likely won't bust but his total potential is close to what he has now.
      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

It's August 14th, and the signing deadline is tomorrow. Reports are still that Vitters is "close" to signing, although that's been the mantra for some time. Hope the recent Porcello deal ($7.3 million) doesn't cause problems. Cubs don't have a history being stingy with their money spent on draft picks, but I'll feel better when he actually inks the deal.
        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
          It's August 14th, and the signing deadline is tomorrow. Reports are still that Vitters is "close" to signing, although that's been the mantra for some time. Hope the recent Porcello deal ($7.3 million) doesn't cause problems. Cubs don't have a history being stingy with their money spent on draft picks, but I'll feel better when he actually inks the deal.
          Vitters is going to sign for above the MLB recommended slot money (which is 2.7 million) that's partly why the agreement hasn't been announced. Unlike Weiters, Moustakas, and Porcello, Vitters is not a client of Boras whom this new deadline was basically made for. Still Vitters is likely to get somewhere between 3.25-4M and is really no risk not to sign. Last years number #3 Evan Longoria signed with the D-rays for 3M.
          Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 08-14-2007, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
            Vitters is going to sign for above the MLB recommended slot money (which is 2.7 million) that's partly why the agreement hasn't been announced. Unlike Weiters, Moustakas, and Porcello, Vitters is not a client of Boras whom this new deadline was basically made for. Still Vitters is likely to get somewhere between 3.25-4M and is really no risk not to sign.
            Good to hear. ARam's contract is for 5 years, which would take him to about 34 years old after his contract expires. I expect to see a decline in ARam around that time, especially given his injury history. Hopefully Vitters will be ready around that time to play 3B.
            To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Good to hear. ARam's contract is for 5 years, which would take him to about 34 years old after his contract expires. I expect to see a decline in ARam around that time, especially given his injury history. Hopefully Vitters will be ready around that time to play 3B.
              Vitters is expected to be the quickest climbing high school prospect in the draft. He could possibly make ARam expendible before the end of his contract.

Comment

Vitters is expected to be the quickest climbing high school prospect in the draft. He could possibly make ARam expendible before the end of his contract.
                If he rises quickly, he'll likely get a few looks whenever he's ready, as ARam will probably make one or two trips to the DL a year.

Comment

Still Vitters is likely to get somewhere between 3.25-4M and is really no risk not to sign.
                  You got it right. Signed for $3.2 million bonus.

Comment

You got it right. Signed for $3.2 million bonus.
                    That's .5 million more than MLB WANTED the third overall pick to get, and .2M more than last year's #3. But that fits the trend this year where 14 of the 30 top picks were given higher bonuses than MLB asked them to give and salary bonuses went up compared to last year. I'm actually kindof suprised that we got Vitters at 3.2M when Moustakas got 4M and Weiters got 6M. It looks like management played hardball and got the Vitters family and their advisor to cave in.

Comment

It looks like management played hardball and got the Vitters family and their advisor to cave in.
                      Vitters was never a threat to go to college? I would think that if he had a legitimate option, he may have had more leverage.

Comment

Vitters was never a threat to go to college? I would think that if he had a legitimate option, he may have had more leverage.
                        Vitters could have threatened with going to college, as he had signed a letter of intent at Arizona State. It was always an option but when you have that much cash flashed in front of you and not much more to gain by going to college, then 9 times out of 10 you take the money. KC did the same thing with Moustakas, who had similiar leverage to go to USC. But the amount of money offered mixed with the chance to be injuried/flop in college far outweights the possible benefit of moving up a draft slot or two.

Comment

It was always an option but when you have that much cash flashed in front of you and not much more to gain by going to college, then 9 times out of 10 you take the money.
                          Very true. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be 18 years old and offered over $3 million to play baseball. I completely agree about the injury risk--if I had the talent at high school, I would never go to college. I just meant that if there was a credible threat of college, it would keep the Cubs' offer honest.

I can't stand the hypocracy of the NCAA crying over the fact that more and more high school players are opting for the NBA. They make hundreds of millions of dollars off the backs of these kids who risk millions of their personal future income, and all they really offer is sometimes insurance policies that will never truly insure a kid against the real risks. The NCAA goes to extremes making sure that these kids never make a dime off their athletic talent while in school. As far as going to college, there isn't a top college in this country that would discriminate against a kid that played pro ball and decided to go back to school years later, so it would be a dumb move in my view not to take a seven figure offer.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X