Barrett traded to San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett traded to San Diego

Per Buster Onley on Mike and Mike in the Morning. No word on who they get back yet but i would guess young bullpen help...

Originally posted by Jojo1691 View Post
    Per Buster Onley on Mike and Mike in the Morning. No word on who they get back yet but i would guess young bullpen help...
    I saw a rumor that he was being shopped, but I didn't take it seriously because I'm not sure the Cubs will have a decent option, with Blanco sidelined indefinitely. I wouldn't mind giving Soto a shot.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
      I saw a rumor that he was being shopped, but I didn't take it seriously because I'm not sure the Cubs will have a decent option, with Blanco sidelined indefinitely. I wouldn't mind giving Soto a shot.
      I don't know about Soto. I do love Jake Fox's bat. I haven't heard if he's picked up his defense since spring training or not. I really liked Barrett. Oh, well, we'll move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
        I don't know about Soto. I do love Jake Fox's bat. I haven't heard if he's picked up his defense since spring training or not. I really liked Barrett. Oh, well, we'll move on.
        Unless the Cubs have changed their minds very recently, he's not catching anymore--got moved this year. AJ (RBi) wrote about his move here:

http://www.cubshub.com/?p=385
        To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Jojo1691 View Post
          WGN seems to be confirming it.

Comment

All we got was Rob Bowen, a minor leaguer, and cash? I realize the pitcher could be more than we think, but I find it hard to believe we didn't get some immediate pitching help.

Comment

I can't find much scouting on Bowen. His ratio on basestealers is horrible--45 stolen bases and 5 thrown out. Not sure how much of that is pitcher related. Padres' other catcher hasn't fared too well either against runners.

Anyone know the other aspects of his game (blocking, game calling, etc.)? Bowen is described as a "prospect", so maybe there's some potential.

Comment

Some of that is pitcher related, catching Greg Maddux and Chris Young, the worst and holding runners on in the big leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                  I can't find much scouting on Bowen. His ratio on basestealers is horrible--45 stolen bases and 5 thrown out. Not sure how much of that is pitcher related. Padres' other catcher hasn't fared too well either against runners.

Anyone know the other aspects of his game (blocking, game calling, etc.)? Bowen is described as a "prospect", so maybe there's some potential.
                  san diego pitchers dont care about stealers, as bud black doesnt worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Spieluhr View Post
                    All we got was Rob Bowen, a minor leaguer, and cash? I realize the pitcher could be more than we think, but I find it hard to believe we didn't get some immediate pitching help.
                    the minor leaguer is an outfielder, not a pitcher. first round comp pick last year

Comment

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
                      the minor leaguer is an outfielder, not a pitcher. first round comp pick last year
                      He is 19 and was struggling in low A ball this year, he has some potental...

Comment

I'm sure it was the best or only deal on the table so we took it. Someone on the ESPN board said we were getting Scott Linebrink for him. I knew that was BS.....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                          I'm sure it was the best or only deal on the table so we took it. Someone on the ESPN board said we were getting Scott Linebrink for him. I knew that was BS.....lol.
                          I think getting any solidified major league talent is too good to be true. But we can always hope the Padres let go of Linebrink.

Comment

The minor leaguer is reported to be Kyler Burke, who was ranked 9th in the Padres organization end of last year by Baseball Prospectus. Sounds like he's quite a few years away from develping into anything useful. The excerpt on him:

9. Kyler Burke, rf
                            DOB: 4/20/88
                            Height/Weight: 6-3/205
                            Bats/Throws: L/L
                            Draft: 1st round, 2006, Tennessee High School
                            What he did in 2006: .209/.313/.294 (192 PA)
                            The Good: Bad pro debut tempered by enormous ceiling. Broad-shouldered slugger who is also a graceful athlete. Power is on display in batting practice, and plus arm is more that suitable for right field.
                            The Bad: Burke has precious little exposure to top flight talent, and had all but never seen the types of breaking balls he saw in the Arizona Rookie League. He has a good feel for the strike zone, but poor pitch recognition, often working himself into pitcher's counts quickly. He has the potential to be a good outfielder, but often misreads balls off the bat. The Irrelevant: Kyler's high school team in southeastern Tennessee was the Ooltewah Owls. Ooltewah translates as "Owl's Nest", so Burke played for the Owl's Nest Owls. In a Perfect World, He Becomes: A stud right fielder. Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Very High – Burke is a pure gamble on athletic talent converting into baseball skills. It's a gamble that makes sense for the Padres, who are desperate for any kind of high ceiling talent. Burke will likely begin 2007 in extended spring training before starting a second year in a short season league.

Comment

Barrett trade

Addition by subtraction. I guess Bowen will get a chance. Hill will push him. We still have a bit to go before the trade deadline.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X