Great sequence of baseball 6/24/07

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great sequence of baseball 6/24/07

For those who missed in the bottom of the fifth today with one out and Terrero on second, Uribe hit a single through the left side that took an odd bounce. Soriano came up with the ball then made a snap throw to DeRosa at third which took a high bounce which allowed Terrero to be safe at third. Uribe on the play took second when the throw went to third. Pod came up next and flied out to left. Terrero tagged up and Soriano gunned him down for the double play.

I liked everything about that sequence. I liked that Soriano took the risk to go to third to nail the lead runner. I liked that Uribe was heads up enough that he took second and then I really liked Soriano's throw. Though Terrero might have been safe, I think the Cubs got the call because the ball got to Hill ahead of Terrero.

i love that teams don't respect Soriano in left. It has allowed the Cubs to get out of several jams so far this season.

Fons is an average defensive player at best, but the throw to home plate was just stellar.

Ramirez's baserunning looks very suspect. I don't think he's really ready to play yet.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
      Fons is an average defensive player at best, but the throw to home plate was just stellar.

Ramirez's baserunning looks very suspect. I don't think he's really ready to play yet.
      actually, in left field, he is above average in comparison to other left fielders in baseball. hes been a lot better than i thought he would be there.

Comment

Alfonso has made some bad reads but as far as Left Fielders go he is doing a good job. He has made no glove or throwing errors so far and he has made people pay for trying to take the extra base on him out there in left. Throw in the fact that he has good range and you got a pretty good defensive left fielder.

Comment

I think he's now above average left fielder in addition to his above average arm.
          To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
            I think he's now above average left fielder in addition to his above average arm.
            In all fairness, his rap as a below average defensive player came mostly from his play at 2B. His arm probably makes him better suited for the outfield anyways.
            Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I can't complain, he has 9 assists so far. I think he had 20 last year.

Comment

Some of you seem surprised that hes a very good, possibly great, baseball player.
                "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut View Post
                  Some of you seem surprised that hes a very good, possibly great, baseball player.

not quite. I believe he is a very good offensive player. but he deservingly had a bad rap as a defensive second baseman. he was bad there. but everyone knows that left field is tough to play at wrigley field. Hes handled it pretty well, there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
                    I can't complain, he has 9 assists so far. I think he had 20 last year.
                    Not to mention we had 12 total combined last year from our outfield.
                    BELIEVE

Comment

My biggest problem with him is Soriano's ridiculous RBI amount as compared to his hits and home runs. Last I checked he had 14 HRs, 13 of which were 1 run homers. This is a guy who should be batting 3,4,or even 5, especially since the Cubs now have other options for LOH, and especially since Soriano isn't exactly lighting up the league with steals.

But this is the type of electrifying hitting thats the reason why the Cubs paid him all that dough. I just wish he didnt have a brain leak when it comes to hitting elsewhere in the order, "tho none of this is a surprise". Look at the splits...
                      http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi...i?n1=soriaal01

Right now hes the last hitter you want to face with anything over the plate. Hes seeing the ball very well and hitting it very well.
                      "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

Originally posted by RBi View Post
                        Not to mention we had 12 total combined last year from our outfield.
                        Wow, that is laughable, but with Pierre, Murton, and Jones.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X