Jones to Florida?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rockin500 View Post
    naw, hes not a piece of crap literally, just baseball wise this year.

Theres really no place for him regardless of how hes playing. And you cant send him down because that would cheapen his trade value. I'd be surprised if he lasted past ASB.
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

I read Zell was the one that vetoed this because he didn't want to eat Jones' salary. If this is true, he might be the one behind Zambrano not getting a contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Spieluhr View Post
        I read Zell was the one that vetoed this because he didn't want to eat Jones' salary. If this is true, he might be the one behind Zambrano not getting a contract.
        I'm sure that's the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
          I'm sure that's the case.
          If Zambrano has the rest of the season like I think hes going to then Zell might be remembered as the worst baseball owner ever. Losing Z would cheapen the value of the Cubs a lot.

Losing Zambrano would be a disaster for the Cubs.
          "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never." :hyper:

Comment

You're right. If they want Zambrano in the future, then they need to pony up now and get him cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitesoxnut View Post
              If Zambrano has the rest of the season like I think hes going to then Zell might be remembered as the worst baseball owner ever. Losing Z would cheapen the value of the Cubs a lot.

Losing Zambrano would be a disaster for the Cubs.
              The 180 from six weeks ago is astounding. The team can survive losing him. Obviously it would be better to keep him, but they'll still be a pretty talented team without him next year (if it comes to that).
              Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Well, it looks like the Cubs are either going to have to:
                a) pay a team to take Jacque off their hands, or
                b) find a team willing to take a load of his contract

The Twins and Cubs were discussing a deal involving Jacque before the Marlins talks surfaced, but they aren't interested now either, because the Cubs weren't willing to pay enough of his contract. I really hope something gets done here...
                A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                  The 180 from six weeks ago is astounding.
                  No, Zman's reversal is not astonishing. What was astonishing was that he was as rocky as long as he was. Zman usually struggles out of the gate, but then always turns it on afterward. This time around, Carlos had a poor April like he had in 2006 (it's his worst calendar month) but then followed it up with a mild May (a month he usually dominates). I fully expect Carlos to have at least another 2 months of sub 3.00 ERA and sub 1.10 WHIP.

The team can survive losing him. Obviously it would be better to keep him, but they'll still be a pretty talented team without him next year (if it comes to that).
                  If Zman went down right now with a season ending injury, the team CAN NOT survive. Marquis and Lilly are starting to return to their old forms, and Marshall is being asked to shoulder excessive responsibility that he can't hold up.

The Cubs might have a talented system with many young capable arms but they don't anyone at Zambrano's level now nor that ranks at becoming that good. If we let Carlos walk via free agency, it will be Greg Maddux redux.
                  What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                  Line Drive: .356
                  HBP: .342
                  Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                  Intentional Walk: .176
                  Outfield Fly: .035
                  Groundball: -.101
                  Bunts: -.103
                  Infield Fly: -.243
                  Strikeout: -.287
                  It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

If Z goes elsewhere, there will be a large riot on the North Side

Comment

Bob, the 180 I was referring to was in fan attitude towards Z, not in Z's performance. I fully expected that he'd turn it around. I expected it a few weeks sooner than it happened, but I knew it would come eventually.

I don't have nearly as bleak of an outlook about the rest of the rotation as you apparently do. With the right kind of offensive support, Marquis and Lilly can be 15 game winners any season. Hill is the only one I'm concerned about, and today he's validating my concern.

Comment

I don't have nearly as bleak of an outlook about the rest of the rotation as you apparently do. With the right kind of offensive support, Marquis and Lilly can be 15 game winners any season. Hill is the only one I'm concerned about, and today he's validating my concern.
                        With the right kind of offensive support any AAA starter can be a 15 game winner. Winning games where your offensive only scores 3 runs or fewer is a signature of a good starting pitcher. Lets look at Lilly and Marquis last nine starts:

Lilly 53 IP, 48 H, 30 ER, 11 HR, 16 BB, 45 K, 5.09 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
                        Marquis 46 IP, 65 H, 37 ER, 7 HR, 24 BB, 30 K, 7.24 ERA, 1.93 WHIP

Simply put, Marquis is the LUCKIEST pitcher in MLB. Lilly still has the peripherals to advance but Marquis is looking VERY similar to his 2006 form.
                        It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                          With the right kind of offensive support any AAA starter can be a 15 game winner. Winning games where your offensive only scores 3 runs or fewer is a signature of a good starting pitcher. Lets look at Lilly and Marquis last nine starts:

Lilly 53 IP, 48 H, 30 ER, 11 HR, 16 BB, 45 K, 5.09 ERA, 1.21 WHIP
                          Marquis 46 IP, 65 H, 37 ER, 7 HR, 24 BB, 30 K, 7.24 ERA, 1.93 WHIP

Simply put, Marquis is the LUCKIEST pitcher in MLB. Lilly still has the peripherals to advance but Marquis is looking VERY similar to his 2006 form.
                          Marquis definitely lost something between early May and now. Lilly is probably also lucky to a degree because there aren't as many NL scouting reports on him. I'm not ready to accept that Marquis has lost it for the year though. I'm hopeful he'll make a rebound. You're dead wrong on one count though--Marquis isn't the luckiest pitcher in MLB. The luckiest pitcher in MLB is Rich Hill.

Comment

Marquis definitely lost something between early May and now. Lilly is probably also lucky to a degree because there aren't as many NL scouting reports on him. I'm not ready to accept that Marquis has lost it for the year though. I'm hopeful he'll make a rebound. You're dead wrong on one count though--Marquis isn't the luckiest pitcher in MLB. The luckiest pitcher in MLB is Rich Hill.
                            Scouts from different teams exchange information between each other. Lilly has been around long enough for teams to know what he has, when he throws it, etc. Statistically speaking Marquis is the luckiest pitcher in baseball over the last three years (04, 05, 06). Odds are highly against a pitcher having a winning record and a respectable ERA when one gives up hits, walks, and homeruns at the pace that Marquis does.

As for Hill, he's throwing like most scouts expected. His hits allowed are low, his walk rate is respectable, his K rate is right on. What gets Hill is what will always get him, the longball. When one throws a 12-6 curve as often as Hill does, odds are you'll hang it at some point and then it's goodbye baseball. But to call him the luckiest pitcher in MLB is far from the truth.

Hill in his last 9 starts:

50 IP, 47 H, 25 ER, 14 BB, 50 K, 4.50 ERA, 1.22 WHIP

Comment

As for Hill, he's throwing like most scouts expected. His hits allowed are low, his walk rate is respectable, his K rate is right on. What gets Hill is what will always get him, the longball. When one throws a 12-6 curve as often as Hill does, odds are you'll hang it at some point and then it's goodbye baseball. But to call him the luckiest pitcher in MLB is far from the truth.

which actually isnt terrible. i can live with a 4.5 ERA, though i would prefer it lower of course!. and honestly, his pitching style is not far different from Wells who has a curve very similar to him.

Comment

Scouts from different teams exchange information between each other. Lilly has been around long enough for teams to know what he has, when he throws it, etc. Statistically speaking Marquis is the luckiest pitcher in baseball over the last three years (04, 05, 06). Odds are highly against a pitcher having a winning record and a respectable ERA when one gives up hits, walks, and homeruns at the pace that Marquis does.

Bob....I was applying sarcasm.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X