Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aramis Ramirez looked like an idiot tonight!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aramis Ramirez looked like an idiot tonight!

I was cheering when Aramis Ramirez hit his 8th inning double to give the Cubs the lead over the Giants, 3-2, but when I saw the replay of how he nonchalantly flipped his bat, stood at the plate and watched for a second, then began a slow trot to first, all in an obvious attempt to showboat and admire what he thought was a home run, I instantly wished he had struck out instead. What a bum! He wouldn't have done any better than to get a double anyway, even if he had hustled after he hit it, which he should have done, but that's not the point. I get so tired of that kind of crap. I realize it's here to stay, but it's nice when these arrogant idiots wind up looking stupid, which Ramirez did, IMO. I know Cubs fans will take the double and not care that he did that, but I think that was bush league. I wonder if Piniella will say anything to him about it. I doubt it
    Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

The real problem is when he admires a hit and ends up not reaching the farthest base that he could have or running into an out. It's a bad habit to get into, and I don't think he'll stop doing it. Any way you look at it though, he won this game.
    A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

He thought it was gone. A lot of homerun hitters do that when they think they get to circle the bases. All I know is that he got the job done, even if he didn't do it fundamentally.

Comment

At least he didn't click his heels, then get thrown out at second.
        Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

I don't agree with how he treated running around the bases. Yeah that was typical off most atheletes today though. The big thing I noticed today though ,was his excellent defensive hustle he displayed.

Comment

I'm not surprised you're on Soriano's case for doing the same thing earlier in the game when he lined out to the warning track in LF. He paused and looked at it for a second. But I guess you're not mad about that. Everyone does that. I thought it had a very good chance of going out. I think a lot of people thought it would go out at first. I would agree with you if A Ram only got a single or the LF caught it. A lot of times, it's a reaction thing, an instinct. He won the game. I'm glad that Lee hustled instead of just trotting thinking it was a HR.
            "Back before I injured my hip, I thought going to the gym was for wimps."
            Bo Jackson

Actually, I think they were about the same because I lettered in all sports, and I was a two-time state decathlon champion.
            Bo Jackson

My sophomore year I placed 2nd, and my junior and senior year - I got smart and piled up enough points between myself and second place where I didn't have to run the mile.
            Bo Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by The Splendid Splinter View Post
              I'm not surprised you're on Soriano's case for doing the same thing earlier in the game when he lined out to the warning track in LF. He paused and looked at it for a second. But I guess you're not mad about that. Everyone does that. I thought it had a very good chance of going out. I think a lot of people thought it would go out at first. I would agree with you if A Ram only got a single or the LF caught it. A lot of times, it's a reaction thing, an instinct. He won the game. I'm glad that Lee hustled instead of just trotting thinking it was a HR.
              I didn't see Soriano's at-bat, so I didn't know he did that. And just because everyone does that doesn't mean they aren't jackasses for doing it. They are. Did Soriano do what Ramirez did? Flip the bat like a showboat, stand for a second and admire his shot, then slowly begin a home run trot? If so, he was as bad as Ramirez. I was rooting for the Cubs, so it's not like I'm doing a sour grapes routine here. I call 'em as I see 'em.
              Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours. - Yogi Berra

Comment

looked like an idiot with the game winning hit......

I will take that anyday!
                BELIEVE

Comment

Originally posted by RBi View Post
                  looked like an idiot with the game winning hit......

I will take that anyday!
                  Oh, absolutely! I know that's how hometown fans react to these things, and I get that. If someone had done that against the Cubs though, I'm sure you'd be agreeing with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodgerfan1 View Post
                    Oh, absolutely! I know that's how hometown fans react to these things, and I get that. If someone had done that against the Cubs though, I'm sure you'd be agreeing with me.
                    Negative...

I promise you I would not go to another team's forum and call one of their star CLUTCH players an "idiot" for standing there and watching a hit that we can all agree at somepoint we all thought was going out...

none the less he knocked in the go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th after the team had just surrendered the lead in the top of the inning..

So I think it is safe to say I would not be agreeing with you. like it or not showboating is a part of the game... if Aramis strikes out swinging and Messenger comes off the mound pumping his fist and pounding his chest... do you go to the Giants forum and start a thread titled "Messenger looked like an idiot tonight" ??

hmz, like I said.. I'll take it.

I have sit back and watched vlad, manny, big Albert, Bonds, Arod, Griffey, papi and many others do equal or worse.. And I have never called any of them idiots.
                    BELIEVE

Comment

Negative...

I promise you I would not go to another team's forum and call one of their star CLUTCH players an "idiot" for standing there and watching a hit that we can all agree at somepoint we all thought was going out...

none the less he knocked in the go ahead run in the bottom of the 8th after the team had just surrendered the lead in the top of the inning..

So I think it is safe to say I would not be agreeing with you. like it or not showboating is a part of the game... if Aramis strikes out swinging and Messenger comes off the mound pumping his fist and pounding his chest... do you go to the Giants forum and start a thread titled "Messenger looked like an idiot tonight" ??

hmz, like I said.. I'll take it.

I have sit back and watched vlad, manny, big Albert, Bonds, Arod, Griffey, papi and many others do equal or worse.. And I have never called any of them idiots.
                      To be perfectly honest, you have a point. I was just creating a thread imparting my opinion of players who act like that, and wasn't sure which thread to use, and I figured the Cubs forum was the place for it. I didn't consider the fact that it would be perceived as coming into someone else's 'crib' and starting a fight. That never occurred to me, so I apologize if that's how it came off. It doesn't change how I feel about players who do those things, they are still idiots to me. I guess I could have used the Current Events thread.

Comment

I agree he shouldn't do that. I am glad he's healthy though. I'm sure Lou or Alan addessed him about it.

Comment

I think the most telling thing about how much that ball looked to be leaving the park was that Pat Hughes entered his home run call:

"Deep left field! This ball's got a chance!... Off the wall"
                          A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

Doesn't mean they aren't. I'm kind of in the middle on this one, I can see both sides.

Also, I don't think i've ever really seen Papi admire his HR the way the other guys you mentioned do. The only time i've seen him standing at the plate after a blast is when the ball is either going to be foul or a HR.
                            Originally posted by Domenic
                            The Yankees should see if Yogi Berra can still get behind the plate - he has ten World Series rings... he must be worth forty or fifty million a season.

Comment

Ya he definitely stared at it and thought it was going out! I was laughing when it happened cuz he always does that stuff! He's a power hitter and does not like running the bases! No excuse for being lazy in the majors, but i dont think anyone on the team will say anything to him, cuz he is winning games for us and he is MR CLUTCH on the CUbs.... remember last nights ninth inning?... he started us off with a double.. but no one else could do anything
                              Last edited by E.Banks#14; 07-18-2007, 06:06 PM.
                              Cubs are Makin' Moves!

More Cubs Articles and News @
                              www.cubbielove.com

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X