Different thought on Jones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different thought on Jones?

Anyone else think that Jones is worth keeping? He sure has picked up slack since Lee's suspension. I think he is worth keeping around for a while longer. Unlike Izturis he is making plays and driving in those runs for the Cubbies. What do ya think?

Originally posted by CUBS4VEDDER View Post
    Anyone else think that Jones is worth keeping? He sure has picked up slack since Lee's suspension. I think he is worth keeping around for a while longer. Unlike Izturis he is making plays and driving in those runs for the Cubbies. What do ya think?
    I don't dislike Jones as much as most Cubs fans. I view him as insurance for Floyd and as the backup CF (although I'm really struggling labeling anyone the starting CF on the current roster).
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

I Agree with ya.

Comment

The only thing wrong with Jones is he is next to helpless against LHed pitchers. Izturis, of course, couldn't hit anybody.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

Originally posted by KCGHOST View Post
          The only thing wrong with Jones is he is next to helpless against LHed pitchers. Izturis, of course, couldn't hit anybody.
          True, and that's why I list him as a backup to Floyd. DeRosa is a rightie, and will probably play RF when facing lefties (assuming the double play combo of Theriot and Fontenot is in effect).
          To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

The Cubs still have Jones under contract for next year at 5M. So if they don't deal him and he's not a starter next year, then he's one expensive ass platoon/4th OF. Jones couldn't hit lefties when Hendry signed him in the 06 offseason to be the starting RF, it wasn't a new development. The Cubs have an option next year on Floyd for 10M, which vests if he starts 100G this year or gets 425PA.
            What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
            Line Drive: .356
            HBP: .342
            Non-Intentional Walk: .315
            Intentional Walk: .176
            Outfield Fly: .035
            Groundball: -.101
            Bunts: -.103
            Infield Fly: -.243
            Strikeout: -.287
            It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
              The Cubs still have Jones under contract for next year at 5M. So if they don't deal him and he's not a starter next year, then he's one expensive ass platoon/4th OF. Jones couldn't hit lefties when Hendry signed him in the 06 offseason to be the starting RF, it wasn't a new development. The Cubs have an option next year on Floyd for 10M, which vests if he starts 100G this year or gets 425PA.
              Definitely not a bargain as a fourth outfielder, but I blame Hendry for the inefficient use of funds. However, he's worth keeping if the alternative is to pay his salary for another team, only to receive a so-so minor leaguer in return.

Comment

jones is really inconsistent at the plate, you can expect is defense to be pretty good though. So he is definitely a better backup than Izturis is.

He has been in the middle of the action lately and he has been doing good things for us (which Izturis never did). SO i wouldnt mind keeping him around, but I also wouldn't mind the Cubs bringing up / in another young player who may turn out like Fontenot or Theriot...
                Cubs are Makin' Moves!

More Cubs Articles and News @
                www.cubbielove.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownGuy View Post
                  jones is really inconsistent at the plate, you can expect is defense to be pretty good though. So he is definitely a better backup than Izturis is.

He has been in the middle of the action lately and he has been doing good things for us (which Izturis never did). SO i wouldnt mind keeping him around, but I also wouldn't mind the Cubs bringing up / in another young player who may turn out like Fontenot or Theriot...
                  I think the next young prospect might be Patterson, however, which would make four natural 2Bmen on the roster (and one very unnatural one in Soriano ).
                  Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Originally posted by nathanKent View Post
                    I think the next young prospect might be Patterson, however, which would make four natural 2Bmen on the roster (and one very unnatural one in Soriano ).
                    Patterson has definately put up some good numbers but his D at 2B still needs work. He still has some potential to fill out as a 24 year old but he's close to reaching his peak. Unfortunately, with Piniella's manlove for bench players Theriot and Fontenot, and DeRosa's contract, EP might not get a shot this year or next to be the team's starting 2B.
                    It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sacamento View Post
                      Patterson has definately put up some good numbers but his D at 2B still needs work. He still has some potential to fill out as a 24 year old but he's close to reaching his peak. Unfortunately, with Piniella's manlove for bench players Theriot and Fontenot, and DeRosa's contract, EP might not get a shot this year or next to be the team's starting 2B.
                      How would you evaluate his value as trade fodder, and do you see him as being a significant upgrade over Theriot, Fontenot, or DeRosa?

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                        Definitely not a bargain as a fourth outfielder, but I blame Hendry for the inefficient use of funds. However, he's worth keeping if the alternative is to pay his salary for another team, only to receive a so-so minor leaguer in return.
                        But keep in mind that his contract wasn't designed with the idea of him being the fourth or fifth outfielder, or even as a platoon player. His contract was designed around him being the starting RF for three years.

Comment

But keep in mind that his contract wasn't designed with the idea of him being the fourth or fifth outfielder, or even as a platoon player. His contract was designed around him being the starting RF for three years.
                          The inefficiency I'm talking about is not when Hendry signed Jones, but when he signed Floyd without getting rid of Jones. Jones had a decent year last year, and had to have been easier to unload during the offseason than he is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Scartissue View Post
                            The inefficiency I'm talking about is not when Hendry signed Jones, but when he signed Floyd without getting rid of Jones. Jones had a decent year last year, and had to have been easier to unload during the offseason than he is now.
                            I thought Floyd was here to replace Murton. Which, of course, doesn't really make sense, even though I like Floyd.

Comment

How would you evaluate his value as trade fodder, and do you see him as being a significant upgrade over Theriot, Fontenot, or DeRosa?
                              Long term, he's a significant offensive upgrade over all three but defensively Theriot's got him at 2B. As far as his trade value, his name has come up several times in the past month. I'm not sure on the Cubs position on trading him as Lou is smitten with the Louisiana Boys so it's going to be hard for Patterson to break-in the lineup. EP could bring us in a mild/decent midreliever or platoon player. Remember, Cub fans have a history of overvaluing their own prospects, they all think they're going to turn into superstars.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X