Interesting Thoughts on Koyie Hill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Thoughts on Koyie Hill

Here is an article I found on Koyie Hill.....

http://apudgeisasandwich.wordpress.c...t-top-of-hill/

Thoughts?

Even if one were to make a case for Hill that he's better than Kendall, which might be possible, there's no way that he's responsible for the extra wins. For example, the article cites the Cubs as 6-5 with Kendall, and 16-6 with Hill. Is Hill really the reason the Cubs won 9 or 10 more games over that stretch? An elite player over the course of an entire season might get credit for 10 extra wins, and Hill will never be confused with an elite player.

This is just correlation without causation, which is abundant in baseball numbers. It's a little like pointing out that the Yankees haven't won a world series since Mike Stanton (who has at least four WS rings) left. To be sure, Stanton contributed, but he was far from the reason for winning the world series.

I'm probably being generous to Hill by comparing him to Stanton as a contributor to his team.
    To offset some of the pain of being a diehard Cubs fan, I've learned to also be a moderate Yankees fan.

Comment

I think it's relatively safe to say, however, that the pitching staff seems mighty comfortable with him behind the plate, and while his individual performance catching the ball might not be all that spectacular, if he's keeping pitchers in the right headspace, there is something to be said for that. I would be interested in seeing each of the five starters's ERAs with him behind the plate vs. Barrett/Bowen/Kendall (I don't count Hank in there because everybody's more comfortable with Mr. White behind the plate).
      Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Having Hank White behind the plate is almost as good as having Chuck Norris back there, but not quite.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipsander View Post
          Having Hank White behind the plate is almost as good as having Chuck Norris back there, but not quite.
          Please. Hank's fly is open because Chuck Norris forgot to button it back up when he was finished.
          Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X