cubs pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cubs pen

I'm curious why the cubs didnt pick up a reliever before the deadline. Wood pitched tonight he looked great, but other than him and marmol the cubs pen is lacking. How does everyone else feel about the cubs failing to bulster the pen?

I'm guessing you're a Mets fan.

You saw our two lefties tonight--Eyre and Ohman. It's an ongoing debate from week to week as to which one of them is less bad. Eyre had really started to look good around the all star break, but now he looks like he's back to his early season 8.0+ ERA form.

Most of the righties in the pen are pretty good though. Dempster is solid except when he's playing the Mets (ERA under 2.0 when you take out his two games against them, but an ERA over 60.0 against them). Marmol, Weurtz, and Woody are all very good. Howry looks good most of the time, but he really only has one pitch. It's a weird pitch to hit--a lower 90s fastball with a weird spin and a little bit of movement right at the end. His height makes it more effective because he tends to get a little bit on top of the bat when contact is made, which usually results in a flyout.

We've also had a lot of younger guys come up from AA and AAA to help out this year, but again they were all righties.
    Senior Editor/Featured Writer for Home Of The Chiefs

Comment

nope im a cubs fan...and i dont think that howry is good

Comment

Originally posted by gaughan333 View Post
        Oh, ok. Welcome aboard. Howry is OK. I would honestly rather have Cherry in his place, but he fills a role. His WHIP is 1.28, which puts him behind Marmol, Wood, and Cherry (and Dempster minus his stints against the Mets), and I think that's a pretty accurate representation of how he should be valued in the pen.

Comment

I'm curious why the cubs didnt pick up a reliever before the deadline.
          What was there to get? Eric Gagne would probably have cost Marmol and/or Pie. It'd probably be the same story with Chad Cordero. Dotel already has a 10 ERA with the Braves, including a blown save. Scott Linebrink had a horrible month and the Brewers overpaid in prospects for him. Cubs are better off sticking with their guns right now to save Marmol for the future. If they need a reliever down the line, someone like Chad Bradford could go through waivers.
          "I'm happy for [Edwin Encarnacion] because this guy bleeds internally, big-time" -Dusty Baker

"If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur

"At the end of the day, the sun comes up and I still have a job" -Joba Chamberlain

Comment

Really? IMO Howry and Marmol are the best in our pen. We all know Ohman and Eyre are nightmares and I do not ever feel comfortable with Wuertz on the mound. Wood is looking good coming back with minor control problems. As for replacing Howry with Cherry, I could never see doing that.

Comment

Howry has it easy insofar as he only has that one pitch to maintain. Due to the nature of that pitch, he has a pretty good K/BB ratio (3.77 on the season, considerably better than the rest of the staff). He's unusual in one somewhat useful regard--he pitches a little better to lefties than to righties. Weurtz is still getting better. Remember that he was the guy on the original 25-man who held that 0.00 ERA the longest, and did so pitching every other day. There was a lot of talk on here about whether or not he should be the closer back in April and May.

The problem is that we just have too many of that kind of pitcher (I say 'problem' somewhat facetiously). Wood, Howry, Cherry, Dempster, Marmol, and Weurtz are all one-inning RHPs, and they're all pretty good. They also all get discussed as being closers, which should indicate just how dominant this bunch can be.

That leaves one spot where there should be three--a longman/swingman and two lefties. Marmol could be the longman/swingman next year. Rapada will hopefully get some consideration as one of the LHPs next year (he's posting an impressive 0.93 ERA against lefties at AAA right now), and we can let Eyre and Ohman rochambeau for the second spot. That leaves four spots, two of which are more or less guaranteed to Dempster and Wood. Of the remaining three, I'd take Cherry and Weurtz over Howry.

Having said that, Howry's contract dictates that he's probably not going anywhere.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X