Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think they will ever tear down Wrigley Field and when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think they will ever tear down Wrigley Field and when?

I Wanted to know what you think about Wrigley Field and if it is ever replaced how you would feel about it.

Personally I would be crushed. Wrigley Field is the whole reason I go to the games. If they ever tear it down I don't know if I would ever want to go to another Cubs game again. There has been so much history thats happened there. If they don't win the world series for the rest of my life I still think Wrigley Field is the greatest ballpark in baseball and Cub fans are the best fans in baseball.
    Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Originally posted by ZR56664
    I Wanted to know what you think about Wrigley Field and if it is ever replaced how you would feel about it.

Personally I would be crushed. Wrigley Field is the whole reason I go to the games. If they ever tear it down I don't know if I would ever want to go to another Cubs game again. There has been so much history thats happened there. If they don't win the world series for the rest of my life I still think Wrigley Field is the greatest ballpark in baseball and Cub fans are the best fans in baseball.

I find this kind of statement to be completely absurd.

Of course, all Cub fans should love Wrigley(aside from the restrooms), but to say its the only reason to go to a Cubs game is just wrong. I certainly don't want to see it get torn down, but I would go see the Cubs play in any ballpark.

I go to Cubs games to see the Cubs win.
    Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

I agree with SS on this one, I would watch the Cubs play at my home little league field. Seats 45.. (65 if you count lawn chairs..)

I am a fan of the Cubs, Wrigley is an added extra... Keep in mind... nothing is bigger than the game... the All Stars, Field, Managers... and Fans traditions.... are all added extras...

The Cubs, the team, is the important thing.

There will come a time where Wrigley will have to go. I just hope the Cubs can win a world series one more time before then.

BELIEVE

Comment

The obvious answer is "when they decide to build a new park". And in the not too distant future they will have to as the physical structure that is Wrigley continues to crumble.
        Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Comment

thats just my opinion

There is no doubt I love to see the cubs win but just going to my first game at Wrigley was amazing. They lost but I got to see Derrek Lee's 25 home run which was awesome. It was the first time that I didn't really care that they lost. It was a great experience and I hope every Cubs fan gets a chance to see Wrigley in person before they do eventually have to tear it down.
          Can you say S O R I A N O !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZR56664
            thats just my opinion
            And you are welcome to share your opinions here, anytime!

I agree with you when you say, I hope all Current Cub fans get one shot to see a game there... it is priceless...

I am glad I got my trip in a few years back.
            BELIEVE

Comment

When I was in high school, we skipped school and took the el to Wrigley quite often. That scene from Ferris Bueller's Day Off sums it up pretty well, although I've never wore a leopard print vest. During the summertime, I'd go to about 1 game per home series.

There is just no place on Earth like a 1:20 game at Wrigley.
              Jerseys hanging in my den : Santo, Jenkins, Williams, Banks, Grace, Sandberg, Dawson, Eckersley, Sutcliffe, Wood, Prior, Zambrano, Lee

Oddly enough, I never bought a Sosa jersey, even during his best years.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the Cubs re-locating in our lifetimes. They'll renovate before moving. With all the hand wringing that took place over the idea of bleacher expansion and the cost involved, there's no way they move in the forseeable future.
                beware of the censorship police

Comment

If they ever decided to tear down Wrigley, that would spark one of the biggest riots in Chicago's history. It ain't going anywhere unless it falls down.

Comment

I agree with Otis. My buddies and I annually spend 300 bucks-plus to travel from South Bend to Chicago for 2 or 3 games, and I'm not sure we'd consider it worth it if not for Wrigley. I'd be a Cubs fan regardless, but Wrigley is the ultimate.
                    EAMUS CATULI!
                    AC036198

Comment

As of Feb 11, 2004, Wrigley Field was granted local landmark status, guarding its distinctive elements from alteration. City council voted unanimously for it.

"The Landmarks Committee worked diligently with the Cubs to make sure that their need to operate a viable, income-producing ballpark were not hampered by the city's need to preserve it as a landmark," says Jonathan Fine of Preservation Chicago.

A first-ever measure for a major professional sports venue in America, the designation protects Wrigley's exterior and unique features—its ivy-covered brick walls, marquee, grandstands, and manually operated scoreboard—but does not specify how the building must be used.

It also allows the franchise to modernize and perform routine upkeep on the electrical, plumbing, security, audio-visual, and seating amenities without bureaucratic entanglements. The expansion of the seating area behind home plate, already under way, is permitted as long as the brick wall in front of the additional seats is replaced.

Despite the designation, the Cubs, who play in major league baseball's second-oldest active ballpark, could build a new stadium elsewhere with more seating capacity, new luxury boxes, better parking, and more night games—all revenue generators. (Only Boston's Fenway Park and the vacant Tiger Stadium in Detroit, both built in 1912, are older than Wrigley.)

"I'm pleased we are able to preserve and protect this great stadium, keeping it economically vital well into the future, and helping the Chicago Cubs remain a competitive team for years to come," Mayor Richard M. Daley said in a statement Wednesday. "But protecting the surrounding neighborhood is just as important as the ballpark itself."

To keep Wrigley's neighbors happy, tied to the designation is a 12-year agreement that allows the Cubs to play 12 more night games per season and provides a plan to ameliorate traffic, parking, and public-behavior problems in the densely populated area around the stadium.

From Historical Preservation
                      Last edited by Bob Sacamento; 02-06-2006, 10:46 PM.
                      What a Batted Ball is Worth (in terms of a run):
                      Line Drive: .356
                      HBP: .342
                      Non-Intentional Walk: .315
                      Intentional Walk: .176
                      Outfield Fly: .035
                      Groundball: -.101
                      Bunts: -.103
                      Infield Fly: -.243
                      Strikeout: -.287
                      It's now officially Doctor Bob Sacamento, D.C., C.S.C.S., and working on my D.A.B.C.O. (Diplomate American Board of Chiropractic Orthopedics)

Comment

I would be the one to stop Wrigley from being torn down. If they were to tear it down I'd have to be pulled away in cuffs. Wrigley and Wrigleyville is like the most sacred place foir me. I would die if it were torn down. I also skipped school one time But someone happen to recognize me and I got in soo much trouble. lol, Now I got to sit in seats where I wont be seen.
                        "I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher."
                        -Rogers Hornsby-

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
                        -Rogers Hornsby-

Just a note to all the active members of BBF, I consider all of you the smartest baseball people I have ever communicated with and love everyday I am on here. Thank you all!

Comment

good job bob, i was waiting for someone to point out it won't be 'torn down', even if the cubs have a new park

Comment

Somewhat on this topic, I was watching the local FOX News tonight and the showed a picture of the batter's eye lounge that is being built. I hadn't even heard about this before tonight!? The picture showed it where some of the batter's eye shrubbery used to be. The report said that the windows would be tinted (green, I believe), and that this will be the only noticeable difference in the stadium in 2006.

It seems like the Cubs organization keeps adding and adding to the list of renovations, maybe I just have missed all of this info, but they keep surprising me. Too many changes for my liking...
                            A lot of people say this honor validates my career, but I didn't work hard for validation. I didn't play the game right because I saw a reward at the end of the tunnel. I played it right because that's what you're supposed to do, play it right and with respect. If this validates anything, it's that learning how to bunt and hit and run and turning two is more important than knowing where to find the little red light at the dug out camera. - Ryne Sandberg

Comment

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/NASApp/m...=.jsp&c_id=chc
                              BELIEVE

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X